Input on warm weather tops please!!

Manakh

FNG
Looking at tops for August bear and early season hunting for the very western edge of Wa state. I run extremely warm, some people claim they do and I wonder... Cause when it's low 40s here on the very west coast of Wa I've been wearing a crummy coldproof base layer and an UA long sleeve thin camo shirt and all I change is if it's raining I wear a sitka cloudburst gortex jacket. Either way no matter what I'm wringing sweat out of my base layer and shirt every day, this could be because they wick moisture like crap but whatever. I sweat heavy and run warm when moving at all!!

I honestly don't own the best stuff or enough different levels of layering - yet!!

I've been looking at-

sitka core lightweight hoody- love the hood and mask option for concealment or sun protection. Zipper to dump heat.

Kuiu peloton 118 zip t- lightest top they have? Has zipper to dump heat

Kuiu tiburon hybrid zip t- they claim extreme breathability for heat. Lighter then the 118?

So, how's the durability of all of these? The straps of my packs always wear heavily on my shirts.
I have seen the sitka light weight hoody in person and it looks like it will wear from the straps.
Can all of these be worn stand alone? The tiburon is labeled as a mid layer...

I think I'm going to get a peloton 240 full zip hoody or 97 fleece zip hoody to pack with me just in case for those longer glassing sessions after hiking when you're cooling down.

Sitka core lightweight is what I wear when it’s warm out and if I ran as hot as you I’d be in short sleeves. Sometimes I pack a short sleeve to do the initial hike, sweat it out, then take it off and switch to a dry long sleeve for sun/fly protection once I’m in there. Cuts down on stink too. I haven’t had problems with durability. I don’t imagine they are any more or less durable than any other synthetic base top. They are more durable than the lightweight merino options.

Sitka core lightweight is what I wear when it’s warm out and if I ran as hot as you I’d be in short sleeves. Sometimes I pack a short sleeve to do the initial hike, sweat it out, then take it off and switch to a dry long sleeve for sun/fly protection once I’m in there. Cuts down on stink too. I haven’t had problems with durability. I don’t imagine they are any more or less durable than any other synthetic base top. They are more durable than the lightweight merino options.

I’m a Sitka Core Lightweight fan but have wanted to try the Peleton.

That said, I prefer the crew and t-shirt styles. The zipper on the hooded version rubs my chest but most don’t seem to have that issue.

OP
Manakh

Manakh

FNG
Appreciate the input, any experience with the tiburon hybrid zip t to compare?

Tiburon is light and breathes well. Will pick easily and anything with a pointy end, including mosquitoes, can go right through it.

The Peloton is light and more durable than the Tiburon.

Appreciate the input, any experience with the tiburon hybrid zip t to compare?

I do not. I’ve tried some other lightweight stuff from Nike, Patagonia, Scent Blocker, and others I’m forgetting.

I wore all these shirts training in Missouri summers so that’s 85-95 degree weather most days with high humidity. You’re going to sweat. There is nothing any piece of clothing can do to keep you dry when active, but I found that the Sitka stuff dried fastest and smelled the least.

I also wore the core lightweight in Colorado for a week with a lot of brush busting. It held up well.

OP
Manakh

Manakh

FNG
Great info guys... I didn't think about bugs... And we have tons of them here and mosquitos don't try to avoid me at all. So prob better to go for sitka core lightweight hoody or peloton 118...

I'll wait to see if I get some more input from others as well.

I really like the Peleton 118, it’s light and decently durable, more so than the Tiburon. I prefer synthetic base layers when its cold, and merino when it’s warm. I have been very pleased with Black Ovis merino, and the price is right if you get it on camofire. The 118 does stink after a couple of days.
This video made a lot of sense concerning base layers.

j33

WKR
Sitka Core lightweight is awesome, really helps cool you down in hot weather. I also have the 118 and don’t like it nearly as much as Sitka. Dries fast but doesn’t keep me cool like Sitka does.

OP
Manakh

Manakh

FNG
Sitka Core lightweight is awesome, really helps cool you down in hot weather. I also have the 118 and don’t like it nearly as much as Sitka. Dries fast but doesn’t keep me cool like Sitka does.

This is awesome info!!

I like my Peloton 118 shirt a lot but it does not feel "light" or "airy" much. It does breathe extremely well and it dries fast. It just doesn't feel "cool" to me like when you stop for a break and a light breeze hits you.

I recently picked up a Columbia Silver Ridge 2.0 Plaid long sleeve shirt For hiking. Super breathable, feels very durable, super lightweight, feels "cool", and in tall size. Multiple plaid and plain colors. Material is kind of a tight waffle weave, not smooth. Worth a look. They're on sale right now.

You don't have to wear "hunting" clothing to go hunting. There are plenty of other high end outdoor clothing options available.

kpk

WKR
I've worn the Kuiu ultra merino 145 in 80+ degrees without overheating. It's held up well also.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't really sweat until I get moving, but once I'm moving I'm sweating even in cold temps. But during bow elk season I'm completely drenched most days with sweat. I wear thin merino base layers and camo is old style Cabela's Microtex and their Lite version as well. Sometimes I wear a thin microfleece mock-T in between the two as well. That covers 90% of my September hunting for me because I'm always on the move.

OP
Manakh

Manakh

FNG
I've never worn merino before... Lol!!
But honestly I'm afraid to!!
I hate the feel of wool on my skin but I have to believe these merino tops are leaps and bounds more comfortable feeling then wool. But I am the guy that after a hair cut I can't sprint into the shower fast enough to rinse off because it feels like my skin is crawling from any loose hair that made it below my shirt. Wool just makes my skin crawl.

The other reason I've avoided merino is I spend so much time with just a T shirt on and have heard nothing but how it isn't as durable and will get snags and pulls etc. I wore out my synthetic UA shirt from just my backpack straps in ~14 days of hunting, yes I can still wear it but it's visually got a lot of wear. Now it may not be as durable as other shirts but I have to think it's above merino...

I've never worn merino before... Lol!!
But honestly I'm afraid to!!
I hate the feel of wool on my skin but I have to believe these merino tops are leaps and bounds more comfortable feeling then wool. But I am the guy that after a hair cut I can't sprint into the shower fast enough to rinse off because it feels like my skin is crawling from any loose hair that made it below my shirt. Wool just makes my skin crawl.

The other reason I've avoided merino is I spend so much time with just a T shirt on and have heard nothing but how it isn't as durable and will get snags and pulls etc. I wore out my synthetic UA shirt from just my backpack straps in ~14 days of hunting, yes I can still wear it but it's visually got a lot of wear. Now it may not be as durable as other shirts but I have to think it's above merino...
I can’t wear merino wool shirts. It makes me itch like poison ivy. I’ve tried all types of high end brands, 100% and blends. Have tried treating them with lanolin too.

Ironically, I can and do wear merino underwear, long underwear, and socks without issue.

elliotsil

FNG
sitka lightweight core hoody would be my top pick with the apex hoody in second. It's a a bit heavier but more abrasion resistant and has a big kangaroo pocket on the front

OP
Manakh

Manakh

FNG
I ordered the core lightweight and the core lightweight hoody.

Then got the kuiu strong fleece 210 and axis hybrid jacket. Really hoping these 4 things can get me through from 35-80F aside from when I need true full gortex, for which I have the thunderhead pants and jacket. And kutana stretch woven pants when I don't need gortex.

For bottoms I have a ton of simms fishing synthetics and fleece. Also have warmer but not durable mid layer and puffy simms I can wear under the axis or thunderhead jackets if need be.