interesting read- strong or light?

KRoch

FNG
High aerobic capacity, high muscular endurance and a good strength base is hard to beat.
IMO, 'good' strength is relative to proper form and range of motion of the exercise's. I have had guys tell me something like "I can do 20 pullups" and watched them do 20 somethings but not one actual pullup. Another is guys doing weighted dips or dumb bell bench with a 4" rom. So, it is all relative but strength that you can count on to be functional is, imo, based on proper form and full range of motion. You may be using lighter weight but your getting more benefit from the exercise's unless your doing something different from that for a specific reason other than just to use more weight.
Lots of extra muscle mass needs to be fueled, I think good lean muscle mass and a cns that efficiently stimulates the muscles you have may be better. But that is no reason not to have good lean 'capable' muscle mass.

Building muscle through the entire range of motion is the best way to develop strength for the mountains for most. Not only do you become more flexible but you have strength in those awkward positions that injuries occur in. Focus on the negatives to really build your tendons and ligaments and it will help you when stalking and moving slowly through the bush. Variety and experimenting to see what works for you individually is key. Your body will let you know where it operates the best.

The more lean muscle you have the higher your resting metabolism will be.

Some of the science involved with getting ready for a hunt out west, physically, is exhausting for me to read through. I applaud you gents (and ladies) who put in the effort that you do so you can be ready for your hunt.

Personally, i don’t workout to the degree some of you do (or say you do) because it would become a chore and then I’d never do it. I like to keep my workouts fairly simple.

It’s also a huge benefit to have mountains where you live so you have access to “training” all year long.