Interior garage walls

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
I thought there was an older thread discussing ideas on options to finish garage interiors but cannot find it. Anyway, I’m looking for ideas on options to paint the interior walls on a garage. There is a dry wall in the garage. Ideally would like something durable and easy to clean. Just exploring options right now so would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

TaperPin

WKR
The go-to product is a gloss or semi gloss 100% acrylic paint on a smooth wall with no texture. Easy to clean, sandable if needed. To look decent you’d want to take the time to skim the entire surface - we just did our son’s new 3 car garage and it took 30 gallons of mud. Looks great and the gloss white really brightens up the space. Filling new screw holes, or repairs are extra easy because there’s no texture to touch up.

Barrelnut

FNG
I'd probably try a simi-gloss white latex paint. The simi-gloss will clean easy and reflect light which will brighten the garage. High-gloss would be even better but it will show inperfections in the drywall more.

After having our current garage painted the same color as the interior of our house, white would not even be a consideration to me. It shows too much dirt and other stuff too easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

After having our current garage painted the same color as the interior of our house, white would not even be a consideration to me. It shows too much dirt and other stuff too easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
This.

It's a room. Paint it the same color and sheen as the rest of the house.

Using a quality paint, even matte finishes clean well.

How will you use the space?

Paint is least expensive, easiest to apply.

FRP is more durable, easier to clean, more splash resistant.

Metal panels are more expensive.

Whatever option you decide, the biggest thing to focus on is wall prep. The more you focus on prep, the better and longer lasting the results. I moved into a house that had drywall hung and "finished". I suspect a proper primer wasn't used before any texturing and now a lot of the tape seams are peeling and it just doesn't look good. Like any project, it pays to focus more on surface prep.

Whatever option you decide, the biggest thing to focus on is wall prep. The more you focus on prep, the better and longer lasting the results. I moved into a house that had drywall hung and "finished". I suspect a proper primer wasn't used before any texturing and now a lot of the tape seams are peeling and it just doesn't look good. Like any project, it pays to focus more on surface prep.
Tape seams peal when they are wiped too tight / not enough mud left under it.

Drywall comes pre-primed. That's why the outer paper is white, not brown like the old stuff.

Kilboars

WKR
I also put a grinder blade on a Skil saw and cut 8th inch deep diagonal grooves in the garage floor so it look like 3 foot tiles and then painted the floor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also put a grinder blade on a Skil saw and cut 8th inch deep diagonal grooves in the garage floor so it look like 3 foot tiles and then painted the floor

I’d like to see a picture of this!

LostArra

WKR
For me the absolute best garage interior wall coverage is plywood. I didn't even paint it. Lots of dirty and heavy stuff in my garage and the plywood stands up to all of it. Easy to hang stuff and it still looks new after 24 yrs
17065487019367865939901610409967.jpg

I've done a few garage interiors for guys. Have used everything from drywall and FRP to osb. My favorite has been the lp smartside 4x8 sheets or a similar T1-11 type product with a high quality exterior grade paint. Is really tough and looks very nice. Have done full length, 1/2 wall or 1/3 wall with drywall. I prefer to put 1/4" over drywall for sound and fire resistance, but the 1/2" material can be hung on its own.

The only bad thing about plywood is zero fire resistance. The two most likely places to start a fire are the kitchen and the garage. Most people have fuel and solvents in their garage, and most of us may have ammo or powder. For this reason, at least the wall between the house and garage should have 5/8 rock both sides all the way to the roof sheathing, and a 1 hour rated fire door with a self closing mechanism. This gives the FD at least a chance to save your house if the garage catches fire.

The only bad thing about plywood is zero fire resistance. The two most likely places to start a fire are the kitchen and the garage. Most people have fuel and solvents in their garage, and most of us may have ammo or powder. For this reason, at least the wall between the house and garage should have 5/8 rock both sides all the way to the roof sheathing, and a 1 hour rated fire door with a self closing mechanism. This gives the FD at least a chance to save your house if the garage catches fire.
I agree. I always recommend a layer of drywall under whatever the final finish will be. Same with basements. Makes a huge difference.

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
I like to use corrugated steel (like on a pole shed) over some 1/2 drywall, trimmed out well so I can wash my stuff in the garage in the winter. If i had the funds, Trusscore wall and ceiling panels would be in my garage right now. Maybe with some well placed cabinets for storage.

WoodBow

WKR
Was considering shiplapping the whole thing and painting white.
I am going to do this on the back wall of mine. Everything will have drywall and then that wall will have shiplap over the top. When I remodeled our master, I milled shiplap out of 2x8s for an accent wall behind the bed. Looks fantastic. Went with stain there. Undecided on painting or staining it in the garage. Wife wants me to leave it natural and just seal it. The garage will also be my gym so I want it to be nice.

If you're a pscycopath like me that likes saving money, has a lot of tools, and likes to DIY everything, you can make shiplap for very cheap. I hand picked 2x8s from lows. Ripped off one edge on all of them to true them up and remove rounded corners. Then I ripped them all down to the widest width that I could cut into two boards with 2 passes on the tablesaw. Make a ripping cut with blade fully extended. Flip it and do it again. Then you have 2 boards. Then run them through the planer to clean them up. You can use a router, dado stack, or standard tablesaw to cut the shiplap groove. I did the math based on current lumber prices and for me to do my 27x10' wall it will only cost me $270 in material. It's a ton of work to mill it all, i will admit.

LostArra

WKR
Good point
My garage isn't attached to the house but there is sheet rock under the plywood. I have a separate shed for fuel storage. My point is dry wall just isn't durable enough for me.