Is ammo availability gonna affect your hunting season?

Rich M

WKR
Okay - I'm supposed to go to a charity sporting clay shoot and can't find any 12 ga shotshells local.

The going price online is about $150/case of 250. Some guys are asking $50 for 25 round box of #6 shot. LOL! Also looked at other ammo and keep drawing a blank. Most stuff seems sold out or way overpriced and the fight for gun rights is about to get into full swing.

SO - is ammo availability gonna affect your season?

I'm actually wondering about the 2022 season and if I even want to buy another point for that this year.

Laramie

WKR
I think everyone should stop buying western points, crawl into a fetal position and suck their thumbs.

Or they could relax just a bit and be patient... Things will get better. Supply chains take time to ramp up. It takes time to train additional employees. The ammo industry is basically being asked to double it's production- that doesn't happen overnight. However, by mid summer, there will be ammo readily available. Yes, the price will be higher, but the price of everything will be higher.

If you are going to a charity sporting clays event, I'm guessing the higher priced ammo will be chump change compared to everything else you will pay for. Bite the bullet and buy the expensive stuff. Go have fun.

Retail Ammo supply won’t make a difference for me, been a reloader of every gauge and caliber since the mid 70’s and learned over all the years to inventory up. Luckily I’m set for the next bunch of seasons.

ColoradoV

WKR
Won’t affect me.....unless there’s an arrow shortage! 😁
Hahah yea thinking the same thing as I put together a dozen arrows and that should last the year w what I have lol.

Thinking of it I have 5 boxes of 7mm shells and at the rate of kill per shot for my wife that will well out last the administration....

Good luck to all you paying too much to hoard ammo 👍👊...

There's no impact to my hunting plans. I will make some modifications to how I train but even that will include things that I should be doing (and do not necessarily require live ammo).

I'm going to be doing more dry fire exercises. This will include getting into the rifle/scope more consistently, acquiring the target in the scope faster, and getting shots off faster. Some will be done at the house and I'll just predator hunt more (don't really care if I shoot a coyote but I can absolutely work the drills while in the field).

rclouse79

WKR
I have enough 22 lr shells to practice and enough .270 rounds to last for many seasons, assuming I only shoot at game. I hope I get to shoot them all via a long healthy life where our right to hunt and bear arms is not taken away. Hard to take anything for granted these days.

Geewhiz

WKR
I've made it my goal to put a bunch of rounds through the 338 rum this year to extend my long range skills. Starting to have second thoughts about burning through too many rounds... I've got lots of powder and plenty of primers and brass, but I need some more boolits

I've made it my goal to put a bunch of rounds through the 338 rum this year to extend my long range skills. Starting to have second thoughts about burning through too many rounds... I've got lots of powder and plenty of primers and brass, but I need some more boolits
You' only need enough ammo to ensure that your rifle is on at the various distances. After that you just can do dry fire exercises. To mimic the recoil, just have someone bop you in your shooting shoulder with a hammer. The benefit of this is you'll get a flinch when you see a hammer but not when it comes time to shoot!

Geewhiz

WKR
You' only need enough ammo to ensure that your rifle is on at the various distances. After that you just can do dry fire exercises. To mimic the recoil, just have someone bop you in your shooting shoulder with a hammer. The benefit of this is you'll get a flinch when you see a hammer but not when it comes time to shoot!
I like it. Maybe ill try that. For some reason I doubt I will have much trouble finding someone willing to beat me with a hammer.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am not expecting it to hit me too hard, after the Obama years I stocked up pretty well for the most part on the factory ammo I use. However the reloading side of the equation I am still trying to get what I need to feel comfortable. Ironically I am set for primers, it is the other components that I hadn't stocked up on.

If season were to start tomorrow I would probably be screwed. I bought a rifle and scope during the middle of the pandemic and have struggled to find ammo since I bought the gun. Good thing season is still aways out so I should be able to find some by then.

Juan_ID

WKR
I like to think this won’t last that long but who knows, should have enough for my wife to hunt and I am planning to primarily archery hunt this year again so wether it last that long or not I should be ok.

For Rifle, nope all good. I bought a couple lbs and a couple boxes of powder/bullets of the combo I load tested and am probably good for the life of the rifle. I just drove thru South Dakota and the shelves at Cabelas in Mitchell was getting ready for bird season. I mean it was the only ammo they had, but they had a lot of it.

hobbes

WKR
I'm definitely not going to be shooting at a lot of paper until I see ammo on the shelves and folks come to their senses. Then again, I won't hold my breath on folks coming to their senses.

Not really.

I reloaded 30-06, 300WSM, .308, .44 mag, 22 hornet, and .243 ammo last year to last me 10 years for big game. Burning a few shells per year to check the guns too. I dont enjoy shooting high powers. I shot them enough in my youth to be pretty fluent in the arts of killing out to 500 yards.

I would like to reload what I burned up last year (30-50 rounds of various calibers) and I will once summer comes. I have enough components to do that for sure.

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
The ammo shortage is gonna hit folks like my hunt buddy the most. He's got low stock and needs lotsa practice before he heads out on another mule deer hunt.

It also has me questioning whether I want to buy that muley point, plan to travel to hunt, or even stay on a lease. If not gonna be able to replace what goes down the barrel, might just be time to hunt the local 3-5 day quota hunts around here while waiting for conditions to improve.

We're just getting started with the current administration and he's keeping true to his promise to go after the guns. That will keep demand high. Also leads to more uncertainty and more difficulty getting stuff, and the prices going higher.