Is applying in New Mexico worthless?

I also study the odds numbers and stopped applying when they changed from tough odds to near impossible odds for the NR hunters. Every state has it's "quirks" but I think NM is the worst state relative to how they treat NR hunters in the drawing system. Great elk but with no point system, the odds overwhelmingly say I'd be tossing my money in the hole every year.

Trial153

WKR
I stopped applying for elk. Last tag I had was a landowner tag and most likely my next tag will be also.

I suggest all NR stop applying in New Mexico.

Me too.....then maybe residents will get a well deserved 90% of the tags ;) in all seriousness though, we have a huge issue with landowners getting nearly 50% of total tags with the Eplus system. Until that gets straightened out, the system will appear phucked up to residents and nonresidents alike.

Dan-o

FNG
I feel blessed. Put in for the first time this year, and drew 16a! Very excited and now the fun begins!

chindits

WKR
What do you mean you don't get nothing when you apply in NM. Don't you have to get a small game tag just to put in for the elk draw. Damn fine small game hunting there, trophy rabbits I tell you. I looked at it this year and figured it wasn't worth the effort, but my buddy drew valle vidal so maybe I'll be down there anyway.

jfive613

FNG
You get your hunting license (or small game as you call it) refunded if you don't draw along with the elk tag fees. Only thing you have to pay is the application fee if unsuccessful. Around 20 bucks for a nonresident I believe.

hunting1

WKR
You get your hunting license (or small game as you call it) refunded if you don't draw along with the elk tag fees. Only thing you have to pay is the application fee if unsuccessful. Around 20 bucks for a nonresident I believe.

Opposed to $158 non-rfundable Arizona. There is a lot too hunt here if you want too. NM has some crap laws and such right now (6% NR, Outfitter welfare, etc.) but is still the best system. Bonus points and creep suck! I'm done buying in AZ and will cash out in CO next year. Good luck!

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I quit applying when it went to 6% for NR DIY. I hunted there in 1998, 2000, and 2004. Some great memories.

The extremely low odds isn't the only reason I quit applying. If I had low odds and the app fees were reasonable, I might still put in. An $85 dollar lottery ticket is a bit spendy for me. (Or whatever the cost is now). If they dumped the guided/diy groups and lumped them all into the 16% pool, I would apply again. No knock on residents, they needed more tags. But when you take into account LO tags, the NR DIY is getting crumbs for an allocation. I wish good luck to all of those who apply!

But I also realized I was driving past some really good elk country to get to NM. (1600+ miles to Gila). I will be cashing out my PP's in CO soon, and I will quit playing PP game there. I am early in AZ, but again, plenty of elk to hunt in other states. I won't wait for 10+ years to cash out in AZ.

Some other states may not have the numbers of quality bulls as NM, but they taste the same!

SDHNTR

WKR
NM has been good to me. I've drawn an Oryx tag and a Gila 3rd season bow tag. IMO, not to be a dick, but after only 4 years you cant really complain. next year could be your year.

2rocky

WKR
You have to weigh the tradeoffs in any of your applications. The timing of the NM applications is unfortunate for me. However the bright side is that because of no Preference points, my odds are the same if I jump in this year or next. I have states I can count on tags in and states that are Long shots. For me now, I've kind of written off some states.

Like it or not, we aren't "owed" tags every year. The upside to that is, if we do draw, it is a pretty spectacular experience. The key is to not put too much pressure on yourself when you do draw that OIL tag, and maximize your field time and experience in the years prior so you can make the most of it.

In other words, practice on 6's so you can give the 9's and 10's your best shot.

LaGriz

WKR
I agree with hunting1,
I like the fact that they have no point system. I have the same chances as any NR (6% pool) in the draw. You only loose your application fee if you fail to request a refund on the $69 license. If unsuccessful in the draw, you pretty much get your fees (-$20) back. Have taken my best Bull and Mule Deer Buck to date in New Mexico. No orange requirements is another plus. While I wore a camo orange vest by choice when hunting with rifles. I don't like solid orange either in a vest, coat, or hat. Went all camo on my muzzy hunts. I do regret that the WMAs and all cow tags are out of bounds to me now. No worries, I drew my 1st choice this year for archey elk. New Mexico is my favorite place to hunt elk.
At my age, I can't afford to wait for better times or 10 more years of point creep. Best of luck to everyone!

LaGriz

JPD350

WKR
Good to hear positive attitudes!! someday we will get rid of the outfitter pool and have one all equal NR pool.

unm1136

WKR
Heck, even as a lifelong resident putting in for resident only tags as well as general tags, archery, muzzleloader and rifle, I haven't seen a tag in the last six years. I still have hope, but it is really depressing to draw a mule deer tag in an area where the elk are pushing out the deer. In an area I have drawn three times for mule deer in the last 6 years I have seen more 5x elk than forkie deer.

pat

gauge

Lil-Rokslider
I was very fortunate to draw a first season archery tag this year in NM, but just for curiosities sake, where do people look for landowner tags at? I know the state has a list of tag owners to call, but I always figured that those were bought up by outfitters. Is that call list the only source for coming up with a LO tag? Is there a broker for these tags? Just want to keep this in mind, maybe try to get one for my wife in years to come.

jfive613

FNG
Also check Craigslist and hunter's domain if you don't want to start making cold calls. Tags are a lot higher right now than they will be in late summer. Premium zones expect 400-500 for a cow and 4k-5k+ for a bull unit wide tag. Non premium zones as low as half that. Like I said though waiting will save you money.

Last edited:
As a resident I draw an archery elk tag every 3-5 years. It stinks that I can't draw a tag more often in my own state. It stinks that NR DIY only get 6% of the tags. Most residents don't like the outfitter allocations at all. I haven't had a deer tag in a prime unit since 2000 and only 2 archery deer tags in sub-par units in 15 years! No tags for me again this year.

JPD350

WKR
It's no wonder so many people don't draw a tag, we are all vying for less than half of all NM elk tags, LO's receive over 50% of all elk tags!!

NoWiser

WKR
NM is one state I will always apply in. If you can lend them the money for a little over a month, the cost to throw your name in is very minimal. Last year was my first year applying there and Dad and I drew a premo Gila tag and had an incredible hunt. This year we split our apps and he drew the same unit again! I will be going along as caller/packer/camp cook. There is no way we could have a chance at hunting a unit like that in any other state due to preference points and getting into the game so late. IMO they have, by far, the best draw system in the west. Now, if they could just get those LO tags and the outfitter allocation under control, draw odds would really increase. I can't wait to get back down there to chase those screaming monsters!

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've applied 4 years in a row now to NM in units 15, 16, and 52 and have yet to draw a tag. Am I just wasting my money, or should I continue to apply every year?

Yes you are wasting your money and should quit applying ;)