Is Opening Weekend Worth It? (MT Rifle)

ewade07

WKR
Montana rifle opener is this coming weekend, is everyone ready for the Orange War? It looks like there is going to be a major weather system pushing in Friday evening that will dump good amounts of snow throughout the state in the higher country. With the weather and the people, is it even worth it to go out? Our group has had to change plans a few times already due to the predicted snow totals but we will find somewhere to go!

Only you can make that decision. Montana is a huge state. Do you have a place where you can escape the crowds? I would think dealing with snow would not be an issue for a Montana resident.

KHNC

WKR
NW montana has few elk and many hunters. Get you a wolf tag and go! You will likely see more wolf sign than elk. But you live in Montana, so probably isnt news to you.

Geewhiz

WKR
Last year, which also was a sucky opener, there were hunters freaking everywhere where I was. Never seen anything like it.

There was a hunter down the ridge from me. Maybe 4-500 yardsThrough the patchy fog i could see a big herd of elk between us. As soon as the fog thickened and I couldnt see, the hunter shot 13 rounds at (into) that herd, which was directly between him and I, so he was effectively shooting at me. The fog cleared minutes later and no elk down. ALthough i'm sure there were multiple with bullets lodged throughout their bodies. What an absolute $#!tshow

I've killed a few on opening weekend but usually it is part of my scouting to figure which drainage they are in.

Most of the pilgrims are gone the first day or two when they retreat to their road hunting vehicles.

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
Only you can make that decision. Montana is a huge state. Do you have a place where you can escape the crowds? I would think dealing with snow would not be an issue for a Montana resident.
When theres about 2 feet of it there is!

S.Clancy

WKR
Montana rifle opener is this coming weekend, is everyone ready for the Orange War? It looks like there is going to be a major weather system pushing in Friday evening that will dump good amounts of snow throughout the state in the higher country. With the weather and the people, is it even worth it to go out? Our group has had to change plans a few times already due to the predicted snow totals but we will find somewhere to go!
We should just pack into the original spot and die on that ridge

bsnedeker

WKR
In my opinion it would be best to skip the opener. I'd also skip the next 6 weeks at least...too many dudes out there, totally not worth it!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: CMF
the orange war,great description.
after having rounds scattered around me by "hunters" ive bowed out on the opener.

S.Clancy

WKR
We should keep this going seeing how many people kill anything this opener. Weather looks like road hunters will be out in force

Rich M

WKR
You only get so many opening weekends. I might not go 6 miles back, but no-one else will either. Try to get to that magical place where the other guys won't. Meaning push it a little.

Good luck guys!

Yoder

WKR
I'm always amazed at western hunters complaining about too many people. Try hunting opening day in PA. We have about a million hunters and way less land. We expect it and try to make it work to our advantage. Setting up super early, accessing a different way to let people push deer towards you. Sometimes it's a real disaster. Other years I didn't see a hunter. One thing is for sure, you won't kill one if you don't go.

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm always amazed at western hunters complaining about too many people. Try hunting opening day in PA. We have about a million hunters and way less land. We expect it and try to make it work to our advantage. Setting up super early, accessing a different way to let people push deer towards you. Sometimes it's a real disaster. Other years I didn't see a hunter. One thing is for sure, you won't kill one if you don't go.
While I generally agree with your overall point...keep in mind: The density of deer in PA is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY higher than it is in ANY western state. I've driven through PA, it's like living in a deer sanctuary!

hunterjmj

WKR
I never hunt the opener. My dad never did so I've followed suit. I might be missing some opportunity but after the initial week or 2 weekends the crowds really die down. Ive been watching all the hunters head out for the weekend while I look out the window drinking coffee!

Scorpion

WKR
While I generally agree with your overall point...keep in mind: The density of deer in PA is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY higher than it is in ANY western state. I've driven through PA, it's like living in a deer sanctuary!
Just like the west, on private you are 100% correct. On public land, it can be very similar with low game densities and lots of pressure.

I didn’t make the Montana general season opener last season but my buddy went back out after archery season and said it was rough. He hunted for 3-4 days in the same area we archery hunted and packed up for reasons mentioned by others.

Yoder

WKR
Public land It's not amazing. Anywhere you can't hunt there are loads of deer. It's not difficult to kill a deer here. There just aren't that many nice bucks. They never get a chance to grow up.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man I would never miss an opening day in any state if I had the choice…things have calmed down since archery and back to normal which will change a day after the opener…good luck🤙