Is Rokslide Wrong About Leupolds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve had a 3x9 basic Leupold on a 25-06 for almost 30 years. After many hunts and all those years it has never lost its zero. A set and forget use case. I slipped and fell on it a couple times on steep mountain hunts, but otherwise it’s been babied. Do I think it would pass Form’s drop test, nope.

This year it’s getting a Trijicon and a new trigger. Do I think the Trijicon would pass the drop test, probably. Even though I did not have issues, will I have more confidence in the new scope, yes. I may have been lucky or maybe it was a unicorn, but I suspect the extra care I gave it helped the most.

Just because one has not had issues does not mean you won’t. Also a new drop test passed scope can fail. There is no failure proof system I know of. I look at it like upgrading from a trouble prone vehicle I have not had trouble with to a model with higher over all reliability rating. Trying to keep the odds ever in my favor.

The dude had Monstrum rings on that rifle so honestly I'm not taking any of his info at face value. Who setups up a Sig Cross with a VX5 and slaps Monstrum rings on it? lol
Exactly, they had a sale recently and were selling rings for like $15. I bought a couple pairs but those are reserved for cheap plinking 22s and that is all.

Skip to 8 minutes in and watch him abusing his Leupold and it being perfectly fine… Makes me wonder 💭
Perfectly fine? He says in the video the zero shifts with that scope just from driving around. Leupolds fail plane and simple. The fact of the matter is most don’t shoot enough or care enough to notice. Which is fine, a leupold will get the job done for a the average shooter that’ll never even know they’re zero shifts.

Scope reliability is so easy to track it’s somewhat interesting that it’s even a topic of discussion. Simply log all scope zero adjustments in a journal and it’s not arguable, up to someone’s memory, or opinion. My oldest Leupolds were made back in the 1980s and seem fine so far - the 20x varmint scope might even be out of the 1970s.

Some kids let their bicycles crash to the ground when getting off and some set them down slower or use a kickstand. If you’re easy on equipment lighter weight pedals might be all you need.44159786-9C88-4432-941B-099D86B8B34D.jpeg

Perfectly fine? He says in the video the zero shifts with that scope just from driving around. Leupolds fail plane and simple. The fact of the matter is most don’t shoot enough or care enough to notice. Which is fine, a leupold will get the job done for a the average shooter that’ll never even know they’re zero shifts.
A tired, old, regurgitated stereotype that nobody can prove, but they keep trying........

A tired, old, regurgitated stereotype that nobody can prove, but they keep trying........

1x Leupold was brought to the S2H class 2 weeks ago. It was correctly zeroed when the shooter left his house with high round count groups with pictures. On the first day it was nearly 2 MOA off. It was rezeroed. Riding back to the ranch house for lunch and back to the range and it was off zero again. That shooter swapped to a Maven RS1 with no other changes and POI issues never happened again. There were half a dozen members from this forum there.

Magic.

1x Leupold was brought to the S2H class 2 weeks ago. It was correctly zeroed when the shooter left his house with high round count groups with pictures. On the first day it was nearly 2 MOA off. It was rezeroed. Riding back to the ranch house for lunch and back to the range and it was off zero again. That shooter swapped to a Maven RS1 with no other changes and POI issues never happened again. There were half a dozen members from this forum there.

Magic.
Things that make any person with half a brain go, “hmmmmm”…

Every single one I’ve owned failed at some point. My last one I thought was the exception somehow got moisture in it getting shippped from UT to WY. You can think what you want but all of mine were not up to my expectations for a scope. They used to be great but the leupolds of the last 10 years arnt what they were in the past.

Magic.
It’s been proven time and time again but I guess since they don’t like the results it doesn’t count.

Magic.
Honest question, I don't suppose he mentioned what he torqued his rings to for the Leupy did he?

Magic.
Once again, that's fantastic. Now explain why mine has never wiggled taking 6 trips to Africa and a couple to Sonora MX? Riding in the back of a LandCruiser pickup for 10 days, it takes an absolute beating.

Honest question, I don't suppose he mentioned what he torqued his rings to for the Leupy did he?

Leupold states to torque to what the ring manufacturer states (the correct way to do it), and that’s what he did. He did not over torque them by any means.

And, I was incorrect- he had two Leupold’s. The one first shot was also off zero-

But I do not believe he shot that rifle after the first event. So 2x Leupold’s lost zero from a car ride.

IMG_8651.jpeg

It is possible that the scope above was fine and the rifle lost zero, however unlikely given the individual.

Once again, that's fantastic. Now explain why mine has never wiggled taking 6 trips to Africa and a couple to Sonora MX? Riding in the back of a LandCruiser pickup for 10 days, it takes an absolute beating.

Because you are speaking about “one” scope in isolation. Not one person here has ever said that no Leupolds ever hold zero. This conversation is always about probability. I am on 14 leupolds in the last 12 months if my count is correct, 12 of them have lost zero before 400 rounds.

I do not care about “your” one scope that may hold zero- nor do I care about my “one” scope that may hold zero. It’s about probability of failure and/or issues. No matter how great those two may be for me, I must compare that to the 12 others that failed when trying to suggest or give probabilistic statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back