Is Rokslide Wrong About Leupolds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Lord this thread went off the rails. I haven't read the last three pages so please excuse if this is redundant.

Leupold states to torque to what the ring manufacturer states (the correct way to do it), and that’s what he did. He did not over torque them by any means.

And, I was incorrect- he had two Leupold’s. The one first shot was also off zero-

But I do not believe he shot that rifle after the first event. So 2x Leupold’s lost zero from a car ride.

View attachment 709746

It is possible that the scope above was fine and the rifle lost zero, however unlikely given the individual.
I swore I saw in the Leupold box they want 18 inch lbs and I know the last time I used Talley rings it said to use what the scope manufacturer recommends. I didn't check the last few sets after I moved most of our rifles to rails I just did the Leupold at 18. I guess I should double check but that rifle shoots great so I'm inclined to leave it be. I'll pay more attention if I get another but next on the list is an Accupoint so I may never find out.

I think the shooting school data is valuable due to a lot of variables being considered at the same time. It doesn't shock me if somebody at sea level in a humid environment zeroed their rifle and the POI moves at dry air higher elevation range but it seems to me you'd see that more often with all the other scope brands as well. Did anybody else have to adjust their zero after making the trip? Do you see shittily mount jobs causing issues ever or are most of these people pretty set when they get there?

Good Lord this thread went off the rails. I haven't read the last three pages so please excuse if this is redundant.

I swore I saw in the Leupold box they want 18 inch lbs and I know the last time I used Talley rings it said to use what the scope manufacturer recommends. I didn't check the last few sets after I moved most of our rifles to rails I just did the Leupold at 18. I guess I should double check but that rifle shoots great so I'm inclined to leave it be. I'll pay more attention if I get another but next on the list is an Accupoint so I may never find out.

All the new Leupold scope manuals I have seen state to go by the ring manufacturer.

I think the shooting school data is valuable due to a lot of variables being considered at the same time. It doesn't shock me if somebody at sea level in a humid environment zeroed their rifle and the POI moves at dry air higher elevation range but it seems to me you'd see that more often with all the other scope brands as well.

That is not a thing. Environmental changes do not affect 100 yard point of impacts. A 100 yard zero is a 100 yard zero from Death Valley to Mount Everest.

Did anybody else have to adjust their zero after making the trip?

Absolutely- by less than 1moa. However, this was due to shooter driven inconsistencies, and once that was worked out, no more issues. The shooter with the Leupold was one of the better group shooters and was having 2+ MOA shifts.

We do not just claim a scope doesn’t work. We find out what the issue is, including us shooting the rifle, reassembling, etc, etc.

Do you see shittily mount jobs causing issues ever or are most of these people pretty set when they get there?

No. Probably 80-90% of the shooters have significant issues who don’t heavily free float the barrel, degrease everything, thread lock and torque heavy; use scopes that are proven to work, etc.

I do not say or write things in a vacuum- two people showed up with rifles that were legitimately zeroed- @Ryan Avery and myself. Unsurprisingly, our rifles are assembled and setup the same way and have not been rezeroed in thousands of rounds.

Edit:

I believe @Bluumoon rifles were zeroed. They would look familiar.

I've killed almost 400 big game animals, and never once, not remotely close to 800 yards, as it wasn't necessary. I like close, not lobbing rounds at ridiculous distances unless it's a 'yote, hog, or other vermin.
He was talking about practicing at further out.
It might not feel like “lobbing at ridiculous distances” if your equipment was working right.

I think Timberline said it best. For most hunters a Leupold fits just fine, but if you want to shoot 800+ yards at game or when stakes are higher, then perhaps other scopes fit that bill much better.

I just look to many guides like Shockey that have clients in griz and BB country and they favor Leupold scopes on back-up rifles. Certainly they ain't risking the lives of their clients or themselves over a sponsors scope if it's prone to failure.
The guy starts almost every show by checking zero on his rifle. Half the time he has to adjust it a few clicks. Not sure why you're using him as an example because he's literally one of the worst.

Can you expand on this a bit more? 400 animals over how many years? And how many tags are you buying or issued per year? How long is the season where you hunt?

Thanks.
Morning gents, I see you entertained yourselves for a while last night.

I grew up in West TX. My dad took me deer hunting when I was 11 yrs old in 1971, and I've been hooked ever since. We got to know many ranchers in the Trans Pecos area of West TX and they hated aoudad sheep back in the 80's and we got to "shoot 'em all" on numerous places. Obviously that's impossible but I wound up killing over 100 of them over a 15-20 yr period. I also get to cull whitetails on MLD ground, and have killed at least 150 whitetail does alone over the past 10 years. Throw in about 50 whitetail buck, 48 mule deer bucks, and over 60 head of Africa game and you're there.

No, doesn't include hogs, which number a few hundred, easily. Hogs are the main target for my testing of bullets, scopes, rifles, binoculars, RF's, etc.

I don't dial that VX6 much any more and actually had no need to dial it much, ever. I leave that to the LRHSi, Arken, Helos, and Athlon.

The guy starts almost every show by checking zero on his rifle. Half the time he has to adjust it a few clicks. Not sure why you're using him as an example because he's literally one of the worst.

I always wonder how many of the "never lost zero" guys fail to count the times that they adjust a few clicks. Whether that adjustment comes as a preseason check, they bought some different ammo, or just the change in one ammunition lot to lot over time.

Besides that, the older duplex reticles that I have seen/used are so thick that I would have trouble saying whether the zero wandered or not. They're simply too bold for actual precision.

Though impossible to know I’d think, but I’d be curious to know how many leupolds are in cycle vs these “top brands”

I for one would never spend NF $$ on a scope, nor would anyone I hunt or shoot with.

If there are 10x the leupolds (I suspect that’s a fraction of the actual number) then the top brands, doesn’t it make sense there would be more failures?

Plz don’t bring up this drop test, this is the internet full of strangers don’t forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back