Is Rokslide Wrong About Leupolds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A seasoned hunter missed six shots (high) at less than 350 yds. He took the blame for being a poor shot, but...
I watched because it would've been pretty damning, it wasn't. After missing he went and shot a rock and blew it up to confirm rifle was still good and it was, didn't make any adjustments and then still kept missing at steep angles, then hit once the sheep descended to a more flat shot. There's a lot of problems there but scope probably ain't it.

TaperPin

WKR
All those claiming scope failures remind me of a guy who had a reoccurring problem. From the bench his rifle was shooting tiny 500+ yard groups. Ridiculously good shooting rifle, except when shooting the target to the side of his main target and groups would shift. Had he not repeated it so many times, someone would tend to think the scope had a moving zero - obviously as he twisted the rifle to the side it put him out of alignment and it was a paralax and/or pressure issue on the stock.

People have a hard time understanding good bedding and how to mount scopes, let alone how to track a reliable scope. 30 round groups don’t fix poor bedding. Lol

svivian

WKR
I watched because it would've been pretty damning, it wasn't. After missing he went and shot a rock and blew it up to confirm rifle was still good and it was, didn't make any adjustments and then still kept missing at steep angles, then hit once the sheep descended to a more flat shot. There's a lot of problems there but scope probably ain't it.
Should have known it was going to be a gunfight

There's zero chance he would admit on camera that a title sponsor provided an unreliable product. His zero check was not very thorough.

I guess I would think a professional hunter with an army of support staff and guides would not miss 6 easy shots with such precision (not scattershot, they commented that he was shooting great groups just high).

Reactions: Duh
There's zero chance he would admit on camera that a title sponsor provided an unreliable product. His zero check was not very thorough.

I guess I would think a professional hunter with an army of support staff and guides would not miss 6 easy shots with such precision (not scattershot, they commented that he was shooting great groups just high).
You trust Randy's shooting skills? Lol...
He was missing by feet, that's not what a Leupold wandering zero is at 350 yards. He was missing high, very obvious to people who shoot a little bit that he wasn't setup in the eye box very well at steep upward angles as high would be the exact problem. Wandering zero we would've seen a gut shot or a spine shot or something IMO.

2-Stix

WKR
I had issues with a VX5 (broken erector) and VX3 (wondering zero) and now have Nightforces with none of those issues.

Backfire is not a consistently good resource. Randy and his team miss shots enough...I think there's some evidence it's what they top them with.

Vortex and Leupold sell lots of scopes, sure...can we consider them the top? Top of what? Sales maybe. In the west, they don't hold up. In a blind at 150 yards, a wandering zero doesn't matter or a RTZ. But in the west it sure does.

My zero moved 2" last year on a blacktail hunt, I wanted a low heart shot at 225 and it was 4" low and not where I pointed. I went back to the range after that hunt...sure enough off 2" at a 100 and I lost faith.

I started with a Savage and Vortex then Leupold with more issues than a pregnant nun...a 3-4 years of chasing my tail...I ended with a Tikka, UM rings and a NF NXS...call it the RS cool aide...I call it no more issues and problemed solved.

Last edited:
Your words not mine. I'll take what's proven to work for me over anything said, anywhere. You should do the same.
If and when you have a Leupold shit the bed on you, will you be honest and admit it? I haven’t seen anyone say your personal scope hasn’t been reliable for you. What a large portion of us have seen and are saying is they haven’t been reliable for us. I had one fail and it made me question them, I’m not willing to risk a hunt to a questionable optic. And I’m not willing to continue to use a product after it’s failed.

JGRaider

WKR
If and when you have a Leupold shit the bed on you, will you be honest and admit it? I haven’t seen anyone say your personal scope hasn’t been reliable for you. What a large portion of us have seen and are saying is they haven’t been reliable for us. I had one fail and it made me question them, I’m not willing to risk a hunt to a questionable optic. And I’m not willing to continue to use a product after it’s failed.
I've posted many times that yes, I've had a VX3 lose the erector, they fixed it, I sold it. I've also had 3 SwaroA 1" tube scopes do the same thing, Swaro fixed them, I sold them. Most of you guys choose to ignore the fact that I've posted that before, and still have a very reliable VX6 still in use. The RS'ers just can't deal with it. I'm married to no particular brand.

Macintosh

WKR
I've posted many times that yes, I've had a VX3 lose the erector, they fixed it…

…and still have a very reliable VX6 still in use.
So you had one fail. And one has been good.
I imaginenits more than those two that you have personally owned, ignoring other peoples scopes, how many leupy scopes have you owned that you shot enough to tell if they failed or not, and where does that put YOUR quantified total leupold failure rate?

And, if you were presented with a new brand that offered a riflescope you were interested and you knew to expect that failure rate, would you enthusiastically support that brand?

JGRaider

WKR
I've owned numerous Leupy's since 1971. Most were used, and sold on the rifles they rode on. I shot them all enough to know they worked fine and killed stuff out to 400 yards. Failure rate around 10% of I had to guesstimate. I'm sure someone will come along and make the ridiculous and repetitive nonsense that they may have killed stuff but still failed.

I don't expect any preconceived "failure rate" (I find this notion ridiculous as well) on new optics. I've bought and used new brand products when they first came out many times and have been quite pleased. These include Tract, Athlon, Arken, and Meopta. Several I haven't been please with including Nikon, S&B summit, and SwaroA.

I shot them all enough to know they worked fine and killed stuff out to 400 yards. Failure rate around 10% of I had to guesstimate.
A 10% failure rate in basic operating conditions warrants a recall, not pulling out your daggers to defend the brand.

JGRaider

WKR
A 10% failure rate in basic operating conditions warrants a recall, not pulling out your daggers to defend the brand.
Show me where I've defended the brand. I defended my current one that does work. I'll wait while you find it.........

Show me where I've defended the brand. I defended my current one that does work. I'll wait while you find it.........
Then as I suspected you’re having a completely different argument than everyone else. The criticism is on the company and their known failure rates, not calling out your individual scope by logo and serial#.
I don’t know any industry where a 10% failure rate would end in anything but bankruptcy unless the target audience is brainwashed into thinking failures are just part of regular maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.