Is the 6.8 western gaining traction or did the 7mm prc finish it off?

Of course it didn't. How could it gain traction? The 6.5 PRC was a no-brainer, a factory short-mag using .264 bullets. It offered 6.5 Creedmoor performance plus 200 fps? Hell yeah.

But necking up the basic short mag case to .277 bullets made only slightly more sense than necking it down to .257. Both will flop.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
I always get s kick out of the prognosticators saying something dead or not. The 6.5 creedmoor did not catch on for like 8 years and the whole time the internet experts claimed it was a fad. Now yet another 7mm mag comes along and people are saying it is next coming and 6.8 is dead. How many rounds have been the 7mag of the day? STW, RUM, shortmags, AI, LRM, Nosler et all. Most have had good iniital factory support. Where are they now? Can still get new factory ammo and rifles chambered in 270 wsm. Just sayin….

Lou

KenLee

WKR
I wouldn't trade my 270wsm rifles for either...but if Hornady already had the factory Superformance SST rounds out for the 270 before I bought the 270wsm, I'd probably never bought a 270wsm either.
300wsm is a different story. I still buy every nice one I see at a bargain price.

Unckebob

WKR
I have ditched all of my long action rifles. I switched to short actions. My 284 Winchester shoots lights out and can run up there with the 280AI. Peterson and Lapua brass. I load it a tad longer than a short action with max coal at 3.1”. Light recoil and just a pleasure to shoot. Most accurate rifle I have ever owned.

I recently built a 6.8 Western. I am in the process of loading 165 LRAB and 175 Game-changers. I load it to max COAL of 2.95”. The 6.8 Western is my heavy hitter now. Downside is only Winchester brass is available. Bullet selection gets better as time goes on. I am chomping on the bit to get out there and hunt with it. My go to rifle was a 270 Win for decades. The 6.8 Western fits my personality.

I like my 270 and 280AI, but I doubt I will ever buy a long action again. Is an animal (at ranges 99% of game is killed) going to notice the difference between a 6.8W and a 7PRC?

Nope.

Gila

WKR
I wouldn't trade my 270wsm rifles for either...but if Hornady already had the factory Superformance SST rounds out for the 270 before I bought the 270wsm, I'd probably never bought a 270wsm either.
300wsm is a different story. I still buy every nice one I see at a bargain price.
I see where production rifle makers are starting to get with the program and offering rifles with faster twist rates in 270 WSM, 270 Win and .243 win. I shot the Hornady custom magnums with Interbonds in 270 win. Then they dropped the ammo line and went with superformance.

I always get s kick out of the prognosticators saying something dead or not. The 6.5 creedmoor did not catch on for like 8 years and the whole time the internet experts claimed it was a fad. Now yet another 7mm mag comes along and people are saying it is next coming and 6.8 is dead. How many rounds have been the 7mag of the day? STW, RUM, shortmags, AI, LRM, Nosler et all. Most have had good iniital factory support. Where are they now? Can still get new factory ammo and rifles chambered in 270 wsm. Just sayin….

Lou
You're very right. 7 STW had better ballistics thirty years ago then a lot of these new fandangled cartridges. I never understood why it didn't have more of a following.

Gila

WKR
The 6.8 Western is just getting started. New 277 bullets are being added as time goes on. Six factory loads for the 6.8 Western, 4 win 2 browning. Six factor loads for the 7 PRC, 2 federal and 4 Hornady. Premium brass on the way this year….

I am building a 6 Creed but I was surprised to learn that the bullet selection isn’t what I had hoped for. But if I can get the 103 ELD-X to sing I’ll be a happy camper.

Buzby

WKR
The 6.8 Western is just getting started. New 277 bullets are being added as time goes on. Six factory loads for the 6.8 Western, 4 win 2 browning. Six factor loads for the 7 PRC, 2 federal and 4 Hornady. Premium brass on the way this year….

I am building a 6 Creed but I was surprised to learn that the bullet selection isn’t what I had hoped for. But if I can get the 103 ELD-X to sing I’ll be a happy camper.
Interesting. I’ve never heard anyone say 6mm bullet selection was lacking.

I still think it’s going to take a few manufactures other than Olin, to make 6.8 factory ammo before it takes off.

pugwylde

FNG
Not going to lie, I was just googling if it's possible to turn my 6.8 Western into 7 prc. It's a nice rifle to shoot, but I have a 6.5 creedmoor that ends up going all the time. Even reloading doesn't seem to create a ton more options for the 6.8.

I bought an X-bolt speed in 6.8 western the first week they were available, and I love it (after a new trigger). Obviously the 7prc wasn't an option then, but I would make the same decision today. In something like the X-bolt speed, you are not throwing a box of ammo through it at the range, so a few hundred rounds could last my lifetime of hunting and a few tune up shots every year. I have other rifles to throw rounds through.

I stocked up on the 175gr Browning Long Range Pro with Gamekings and will keep that rifle for life. This cartridge in my rifle is just over a 1/2" group at 100yds and makes shots out to 400yds feel like chip shots.

I have little or no interest in either the 6.8 western or the 7 prc, I just glanced at Midway's ammo selection. Both cartridges have six results.

The 6.8 has one 'in stock," the other five are either "out of stock/no backorder" or "coming soon."

The 7 prc has five "in stock" and one "coming soon.'

The 6.8 power point listed as "coming soon" is "no longer available" on Brownells.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
I have little or no interest in either the 6.8 western or the 7 prc, I just glanced at Midway's ammo selection. Both cartridges have six results.

The 6.8 has one 'in stock," the other five are either "out of stock/no backorder" or "coming soon."

The 7 prc has five "in stock" and one "coming soon.'

The 6.8 power point listed as "coming soon" is "no longer available" on Brownells.
Yeah - anytime the 165 ablr load, 175 tgk load, or 170 btip load shows up on midway they sell out immediately. Not as many folks interested in the 162 mono load though it is a fine load with good bc for a mono especially out of short action. The 165 ablr are in stock cabelas if anybody looking for them

Lou

Gila

WKR
Interesting. I’ve never heard anyone say 6mm bullet selection was lacking.

I still think it’s going to take a few manufactures other than Olin, to make 6.8 factory ammo before it takes off.
It’s the chicken or the eqg — which comes first. If rifle sales keep going it will fuel the production of more ammo. If more people scream for brass, it will become available. If more shooters want bullets, those bullets will be available. If you look at the 6 factory ammo loads for the 6.8 and the six factory loads for the 7 PRC, you will find most of the 6.8 Western is out of stock. The 7 PRC most of the factory ammo is in stock. What that tells me is that the demand is higher for 6.8 ammo but not so much for the 7 PRC.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
The 6 8 western was DOA when it hit the market. The biggest solution to a problem that didn't exist.

Lack of long range bullets and now the prc is its death nail providing a quicker more humane death then it could have had in its own.

sneaky

"DADDY"
It’s the chicken or the eqg — which comes first. If rifle sales keep going it will fuel the production of more ammo. If more people scream for brass, it will become available. If more shooters want bullets, those bullets will be available. If you look at the 6 factory ammo loads for the 6.8 and the six factory loads for the 7 PRC, you will find most of the 6.8 Western is out of stock. The 7 PRC most of the factory ammo is in stock. What that tells me is that the demand is higher for 6.8 ammo but not so much for the 7 PRC.
I think you are reading that wrong. It shows that they are doing limited runs of 6.8 Western because it isn't nearly as popular as they hoped it would be. FAR better bullet selection in .284 than .277 and it will always be that way. I bet there are 25 7PRC rifles sold to every single 6.8 Western. It'll be glaringly obvious further down the road.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
I'd wager to say the Hornaday mother ship is producing greater quantities of ammo. They have it figured out, develope a product and support it. Also, I'd wager a great deal of prc shooters are handloaders.

But hey what do I know, I'm shooting a 7 saum stretched out in a long action.