Is the new Hornady ftx muzzleloader bullet Colorado compliant?

I am assuming since these new Hornady bullets are essentially the same as the powerbelt design they are Colorado compliant. Does anyone have information on this?

Rich M

WKR
Don't quote me but I saw that they were back when checking them out. Not sure where it was.

Here is the question answered on another site.

Tuesday at 9:21 AM
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Colorado Parks and Wildlife. I understand you are inquiring about the Hornady Bore Driver.

Our law enforcement and the regulation team have reviewed this product and have deemed it legal to use during the muzzleloader season. If you would like to change the regulation regarding sabots, I would suggest submitting a citizen petition. More information regarding citizen petitions can be found here.

Respectfully,

--
Bradley Gabrielski
Communication Center Wildlife Coordinator

License, Reservations & Customer Operations section

eltaco

WKR
What exactly is a sabot, if this is deemed acceptable? The plastic on the hornady creates the gas seal, and leaves the projectile once fired. The bullet itself is still “full bore” at 0.499”. Is that what determines whether a plastic base is a sabot or not?

My understanding as to why they don’t allow sabots is they want a full 50 cal projectile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a sabot, the bullet never touches the barrel. The plastic sleeve is the only thing that engages the rifling. Some people feel sabots are more “modern” and shoot more accurately out to longer distances. So Colorado in the spirit of being slightly more “primitive” won’t allow sabots.

With the new Hornady, the actual bullet becomes bore size from the explosion of powder and engages the riflings.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Some people feel sabots are more “modern” and shoot more accurately out to longer distances. So Colorado in the spirit of being slightly more “primitive” won’t allow sabots.
Yet sabotless options have won at Friendship and other inline matches for many many years.. Sabot loads have not won at all in quite some time.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
My understanding as to why they don’t allow sabots is they want a full 50 cal projectile.

One would think that a bullet weight would be more important than caliber…….I can certainly make the argument that my arrowhead .45 w/ 320 gr ASG sabotless bullet at 2,400 ft/sec is more lethal than my CVA Accura v2 .50 shooting a 290 gr Hornady FTX at 2,000 ft/sec.

adiecidue

FNG
Does anyone have real world experiences in hunting with these bullets? I’ve only seen a few posts that are shying me away from giving them a try in my TC Encore

Not much out there yet that I've seen. They just came out last year I believe, but weren't widely available yet. I'm hoping to have some real world experience with them this year to showcase.

Does anyone have real world experiences in hunting with these bullets? I’ve only seen a few posts that are shying me away from giving them a try in my TC Encore

Used last year on whitetail, worked as good as any other ML full bore slug I have used. It mushroomed perfectly and didn’t fragment. I find they are very accurate and consistent at even 150-200yards.

I have seen videos that made me question the bullet myself and was considering going back to Thor or switching to the hornady eld. But after the white tail evidence I am confident.

That’s my experience, hope it helps.

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
At 150 yards the Hornady 350 gr FPB will put a full size cow elk down .Note I have to do some resizing with lee bullet resizer 3 passes pull polymer tip Oregon legal . I use 90 gr [ measure ] Tripel 7 3f weighed retrieved bullets 280 gr mushroomed .

TX_Diver

WKR
Single data point here but just for info.

Last week I shot a small buck at 160 yards w/ a 290gr FTX bullet. 78gr by weight of 777 2F from a knight vision freedom.

Hit just behind the shoulder and the buck stood there for a second. I put the binos up and couldn't see the entrance wound but watched the buck hunch up a bit, then take a few steps and lay down. He rolled over 5 seconds later and was done.

I processed him as fast as possible as a storm was rolling in so I didn't do any sort of autopsy. The bullet didn't pass through but I'm assuming it did enough internal damage to the lungs that it wasn't an issue. Zero meat loss w/ that shot.

AhwAYyk.jpg