I’ve been avoiding down

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
I really like some of the stuff first light has but not interested in down. Maybe the reason is obvious but why do the keep using down.

ljalberta

WKR
They also have been using synthetics since they first began, and only recently expanded to a down line. Seems like a smart approach to provide both synthetic and down options?

Kotaman

WKR
In the "puffy" department, I find myself avoiding synthetics lately. They don't pack as well and as stated above, the warmth to weight ratio is better with down. I've done a bit of hunting in extreme conditions and not once have I wished I had a synthetic puffy. If it's wet, I bust out the rain gear. And I NEVER hike in a puffy on a hunt. My synthetic puffy's have been relegated to extreme cold snow shoeing.

jolemons

WKR
Warmth to weight, compression ability and a big one, longevity. I think a lot of novice backcountry guys have heard stories about wet down and are scared to use it in clothing and sleep systems. In my experience backpacking and hunting in many different lower 48 regions the past 20 years, the fear and avoidance of down is unwarranted in almost all situations. Down is very manageable, even in wet conditions, you just have to know how.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the same boat as the other guys. Every puffy from here on out will be down for me. The straw that broke the camels back for me can be found here: https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/111770709/synthetic-puffy-longevity

The first post alone coming straight from one of the best mountaineering companies (keep in mind, mountaineering companies have decades of innovation and technology and experience over hunting brands) states that some synthetic puffies become useless in 3-4 months just from wearing it while driving. Now imagine stuffing it in your backpack multiple times a day, having it compressed against your back by a heavy pack, sleeping in it on cold nights, etc.

Synthetic insulation was made to mimic down, and like all other things, man made stuff will never equal what Mother Nature has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I’ll give one a try. I may be the odd ball here but I don’t like camo clothing and first light has a lot of good solid color options

I’ve got a down jacket that I wear around town. But in the woods, the Kifaru LPP is $$$$. I could break and anvil... I know I would get down wet in no time.

rayporter

WKR
i have maybe 5 down jackets, one of which i bought in 1972 that has made just a lot of trips.

the down packs so small that it can go as a back up so easy. like trips where you dont really expect to have real cold temps

I really love my down. It doesn't take up a whole lot of space in my pack and it's sooooo light. I do worry about a freezing rain situation with it even though it's treated with DWR