Jdog's 11-18 KY Deer Hunt

OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
Didn't realize you had a quota tag. LBL bucks work the same, or they used to, good luck with the rest of the hunt.

Yep got state tags and quota hunt tags for Fort Knox. It's kinda a cluster hunt but I grew up doing it with my Dad so it's tradition.

OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
Alright fellas...back at it this am. Moved off the ridge and down to a lock on stand in the creek bottom--lots of fresh sign down here. Last hunt here as I have to be on the road by 1300 to my Dad's a few hrs east of here to hunt with him tomorrow.

On doe patrol again this am...wish me luck!

OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
Couple shots from the ground of where I killed my buck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 33
OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
Couple shots of this mornings view...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 27
OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
Nothing except what Mother Nature provides...and the acorn mast this yr in KY was poor.

OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
Alright guys. Made it to Dad's and did dinner with him and his old Army buddy. We are at it in the am on the Fort Knox quota hunt. It's a two day deal and muzzleloader or shotgun deal. Been twenty years since I last had frog legs with grilled onions and habanero peppers--they were surprisingly great but I don't feel so well. Time to hit the rack...check in from the woods in the am.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 40
OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
My dad, a retired Army 1st Sgt, with his buddy and I at breakfast. Gonna miss this one day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 61
OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
We depart the greasy joint and head to our unit. It's kinda a pain and we finally make it our unit and through the various checkpoints.

Popps and his buddy head over to their blind and I head to my usual spot. I don't actually get setup and in place hunting until 0800. Soon after a gun shot goes off I would guess 2-300 yards away. Oh well, so is public hunting!

The morning is uneventful until about 0900. That's when a buck comes off the ridge in front of me and I whistle and he stops at 30 yds. I quickly size him up and realize he is legal and send a 20 gauge Hornady slug his way. He lunges forward and struggles off about 30 yds and tips over.

It l happened pretty quick but I am super excited to harvest another whitetail.

Couple shots from my stand and the area I was overlooking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
Pics of my buck. Pretty young guy but all good with me for public land.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 57
OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
Spent the remainder of the morning dressing him and dragging him back to the truck. Made it there by lunch and swapped out socks and recharged. Headed back in to the river and found a hellacious rub line on the way! Biggest one ever and all on big cedars. Prolly over 30 trees rubbed on the upper lip of a hollow--big trees!

Found some acorns on the ground and set up for 2 hrs. Nothing but beautiful scenery.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 27
OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
Didn't see anything and started a loop back to the truck as evening and check out time approached. As I approached the fields edge I jumped some does but could not get a shot. It was so quiet that I was getting within 30 yds of them w/o seeing them then all the sudden they would bust out at 123 mph. As I entered the field on final approach to the truck, I look down the edge to me left. At about 120 yds stands a beautiful 8 or 9 ~145" buck. My phone didn't grab good photos but I watched him through the Swaros for 5-10 min. I could have killed him 100 times. What a nice public land buck! He was in the far right of this pic on the fields edge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 57
OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
Got home late and quartered and packaged the buck up threw him in Popp's freezer. Hit the rack and back at it this am with dad. We are in his blind and it's pounding rain. We are hoping for a break as he saw four bucks from this spot yesterday and one was a nice shooter but never presented a kill shot.
Views from blind before all hell broke loose.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 29
OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
It's 10 am and pounding buckets!
My dad just notified me that he saw today's first living creature--a bird.
We have the Coast Guard rescue team in standby--got about 1" on water in floor of the blind. Hoping for a break in the weather as we might be fishing soon.