Jetboil Weight Reduction kit

I bought the Jetboil kit with the stove and the carbon fiber lid for my Jetboil Ti Sol. The stove is of good quality. Replacing the Jetboil stove shaves 3 ounces but you have to light it with a lighter manually. The stove does fit into the vanes on the Jetboil cup and is stable. I haven't field tested it yet but I don't see why it won't work. I also like the ability to throttle the gas with this Ti stove. The Jetboil stove seems to be all-or-nothing.

I don't think I need the carbon fiber lid. It doesn't fit snugly and I haven't figured how to secure it to the cup. I prefer just to use the original Jetboil lid, which doesn't weigh much, if any, more. I don't think the Ti heat shield is really necessary either, especially in winter.

I bought the kit, but I think I should have just bought the stove. Shaving weight is expensive. This is a good place to shave 3 ounces. After replacing the Jetboil stove, I now realize just how heavy it is. It is a big chunk of metal and plastic. The Titanium stove weighs nothing in comparison.

I always contemplate not carrying a stove but it has saved me many miles by allowing me to melt snow rather than hike down the mountain to get water.

OP
Ramshead

Ramshead

Lil-Rokslider
Darktimber

Use your own judgement, but the reflector is used mainly to keep the canister from overheating. There is quite a bit of heat directed downwards from that little stove. As for the lid, I use a single elastic to keep it on while packing it. My cf lid weighs 7 grams vs 17 for the original JB pot lid. I also found that the system gets better fuel economy when you run the stove at a slow/medium pace vs full blast. At full bore I could also smell some unburnt fuel/fumes.

Ramshead

Thanks for the heads up on the heat shield. I haven't field tested it yet so the issue may be more pronounced than I thought just testing it in the kitchen. Generally I have problems keeping a canister warm during cold weather.

Regarding the carbon fiber lid, I like it but I wish it "snapped on" rather than just set on. Do you do anything special to keep the carbon fiber lid on securely. It seems like elastic would slide to the side. Also, how do you avoid having the stove rattle around inside during transport? I know keeping it wrapped in a paper towel would work, but I suspect there is a better system.

OP
Ramshead

Ramshead

Lil-Rokslider
Darktimber

I know the CF lid seems a little flimsy, but you get used to it. Because I carry my Jetboil in a properly sized Sil stuff sack, an elastic does the job well enough. If your new stove came with a tiny stuffsack like it should have, then that will dampen most rattling. As for keeping your canister warm in extreme cold, setting it in a pot of water, or using a chemical handwarmer, or sleeping with it all work. BTW Jetboil cannisters have the best cold weather mix because they have 25% propane in them. Here is a link to a thread that will answer many of your questions. (post #67 is mine) http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...ms/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=103030

deadwolf

WKR
This is a good option if you already own a jetboil, which I do. But new for me this year is a snowpeak stove at 1.9ozs and a Toaks 800ml mug at 4ozs. I'm pretty happy with that!

This is a good option if you already own a jetboil, which I do. But new for me this year is a snowpeak stove at 1.9ozs and a Toaks 800ml mug at 4ozs. I'm pretty happy with that!

I have the SnowPeak stove and the titanium 600, 700 and 900. However, I began to realize that my weight savings were being lost in fuel, so when I saw a JetBoil flash mug on sale for $40 I figured that I would grab it and cut some slits in the bottom to get the flame closer and it is certainly boiling water much faster. My only complaint is the lack of graduations on the JB (only 2 cups). The SP flame is directed a lottle more outward than the JB stove, so I do have some burning on the handle strap and spork pocket, but making the slits deeper may help out with that. Another option is either the Olicamp or Optimus pots, which both have heat exchangers and are made to go on regular stoves. I prefer the SP because the wider flame makes it so I can cook up some trout on a pan, otherwise I'd probably go with the MSR. Also, if anyone is looking into the SP: don't get the igniter, it is worthless.

deadwolf

WKR
For my needs I'm taking the same amount of fuel for either stove so it's a wash in that respect. The Jetboil is quicker to a boil, now I want to go back and see how much quicker. It all depends on where I'm going, for how long, and if I'm solo or not