Judging "50" Moose

Sorry If I missed seeing it somewhere talked about already .

Curious as to what methods people use to judge moose in the field? On another thread here a guy was talking about using the reticle on his scope . No idea how that works .
Anyone willing to steer me in the right direction to read up on it.

Just looking for advice to start practicing.

Thank you in advance ,
Chuck

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
i don't judge for 50.......judge for 60 and if he's not near that, don't shoot.
Ya, I've kind of wondered......after shooting a 47" Colorado moose, I can't even imagine an Alaskan moose being anywhere near that small. Just about every Alaskan Yukon moose I've ever seen in pics, TV, or otherwise looks HUGE. If I went to Alaska or the Yukon I would definitely be looking for 60+.

The scope reticle method is theoretical. Basically, it's the opposite procedure of ranging a distance by measuring something of known size with reticle sub tensions. I did it once, and I will never do it again. It led me to believe a moose was definitely 50". Then, after it was dead, I measured it to be exactly 50". Never again. I have concluded that if I know enough to use this system on a moose, my gut instinct of the antler size will still be more accurate.

The ADF&G info is the best to go by.

OP
F
I looked at the ADF&G video a few times and is a big help.

I was curious about the scope deal and just wondering how people used it , thanks for your explanation.

Cacatays

FNG
Have moose hunt booked for 2021 and have also been looking at a lot of pictures with confirmed measurements. I have found alaska game and fish site to be very helpful if not the best. I am also of the mind set of watching for browtines or one of those total no doubters.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree that using a reticle to judge antler spread is not as easy as one may think when in the field. I used a first focal plane nightforce 2.5-20x on a moose hunt last fall with the MOAR reticle. The good thing about first focal plane is the reticle subtension is accurate on any magnification. It is very accurate and the system works in a controlled environment but getting down to an inch or two, especially at any distance in the field, is not easy. For example, my buddies bull was 54" wide and shot at 450 yards. This equals about 12 moa in the scope (12 x 4.5 = 54"). The difference in 1 moa in this situation is the difference between a legal and potentially illegal bull (it only had 3 brows in a 4 brow area). If the bull is not looking directly at you, if your not steady enough to measure precisely or your range isn't exact you can easily make a big mistake.

Another option is to download an app like ImageMeter and, from a close distance or using a phonecam attached to a spotter, take a head-on photo of the bull, if you can. If you have a known dimension, like the 10" average eye to eye measurement, the app can come pretty close to estimating the total antler spread. Pic attached for reference. His bull was 54" and the app said 53.5". Pretty close.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201001-155149_ImageMeter[1].jpg
    Screenshot_20201001-155149_ImageMeter[1].jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 132
I would agree that using a reticle to judge antler spread is not as easy as one may think when in the field. I used a first focal plane nightforce 2.5-20x on a moose hunt last fall with the MOAR reticle. The good thing about first focal plane is the reticle subtension is accurate on any magnification. It is very accurate and the system works in a controlled environment but getting down to an inch or two, especially at any distance in the field, is not easy. For example, my buddies bull was 54" wide and shot at 450 yards. This equals about 12 moa in the scope (12 x 4.5 = 54"). The difference in 1 moa in this situation is the difference between a legal and potentially illegal bull (it only had 3 brows in a 4 brow area). If the bull is not looking directly at you, if your not steady enough to measure precisely or your range isn't exact you can easily make a big mistake.

Another option is to download an app like ImageMeter and, from a close distance or using a phonecam attached to a spotter, take a head-on photo of the bull, if you can. If you have a known dimension, like the 10" average eye to eye measurement, the app can come pretty close to estimating the total antler spread. Pic attached for reference. His bull was 54" and the app said 53.5". Pretty close.
ImageMeter sounds like it could be a valuable tool, i'll have to check that out.

On sizing with a reticle, I agree that it's not perfect but under the right conditions it has worked really well for me. 450yds is farther than I would be probably be comfortable with, but at 200yds and a clear view of the bull, if I calc out a 56" bull, it works for me.... If I am coming up with 52", I'm not shooting,..... Its all about how you approach it. I'm also a competitive shooter and am VERY comfortable with my gear, that makes a difference too.

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
I went on my first Moose hunt this year and let me tell you, it is very difficult to judge a bull while in the field under hunting conditions. Also, while having the thought in the back of your mind that there are consequences for shooting a non legal bull. I ended up taking a Leupold 1300i range finder that has trophy scale built in, this is the only way I was confident enough to shoot my bull.

How big do you think he is?
20201121_093413.jpg

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been around a lot of dead moose in 24 years hunting Alaska, ranging from nubbins to 67" spreads. I still can't accurately judge the exact antler width. But, the one rule that keeps my guests out of legal trouble is judging what is or is not 50" or meets browtine requirements.

1. Wait to judge a legal bull when he's broadside and looking to one side. If his antler tips reach the back of his shoulder hump he's very likely over 50". If there is shoulder hump showing beyond his antler tips, it probably isn't quite 50"

2. browtine requirements

You should feel good about your decision not to shoot if you're unsure of these pointers.

AKDoc

WKR
I've been around a lot of dead moose in 24 years hunting Alaska, ranging from nubbins to 67" spreads. I still can't accurately judge the exact antler width...
....Wait to judge a legal bull when he's broadside and looking to one side. If his antler tips reach the back of his shoulder hump he's very likely over 50". If there is shoulder hump showing beyond his antler tips, it probably isn't quite 50"...

Over 30 years hunting Alaska for me and I'm right there with you LB...I don't feel confident estimating spread with great accuracy at all, so I'm a brow-tine counter (and that can be tricky sometimes!). I need to be absolutely sure to pull the trigger, and no doubt I have let quite a few legal bulls walk over the years. I'm even more extra cautious when it comes to judging a full-curl ram...it has to be way over full-curl for me to shoot! Lol!

I've never heard of the side-view estimation method that you referenced...I'll have to check that out.

It is so much more relaxing to hunt an "any bull" unit, which is where I prefer to be every fall up here.

How big do you think he is?
View attachment 234281

Just to prove that I can't estimate well, I'll say this one is 63". Nice bull.

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
He went 56.5, those long front points made it tough to judge, but actually the widest point was the main paddles.

Wapiti1

WKR
This guy taped exactly 60" and I figured "better than 50" when I pulled the trigger. That bay point on his right side was problematic the way he came in. If he had tilted and swayed his head, I would have shot him on the 3 brows rule and been wrong.

When he finally came in and cleared the brush, I knew he was better than 50". My guide confirmed my thoughts, but when you are in the scope with an animal coming, it's your decision. Better be a good one. I felt fine when I shot. Can I judge moose? Oh, Hell, No!! I do want to think that I didn't just get lucky.

He came to the edge of the brush earlier and I would have sworn he wasn't better than 45". He had his head tilted back and with his paddles flat to me, it looked like he was small.

Example of an old bull with regressing paddles. Also an example of needing more than one look to make any sort of decision. That said, the judging happened within the span of 30 seconds when he came in. He was in the brush, then in our lap.

Couple of views (ignore the swarthy gentleman in the background):

DSC00177 (Custom).JPG

DSC00181 (Custom).JPG

Jeremy