WTS Just a heads up about scammers

mitchp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted my phone number on a post in here earlier (Just because I've done it a bunch of times before and here and never had an issue) anyways, Just got a text from what I would consider to be the perfect model of how most every scammer operates right now. Obviously I'm not 100% positive but, I would definitely bet a paycheck on it. So I figured I'd post it here in hopes of either the guy proving he's not a scammer ...Screenshot_20230512_053811_Messages.jpgor showing everybody here that he is...

Cadamscrna

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Definitely 100% a scammer. Refusing PayPal goods and services and broken English. I NEVER pay with friends and family…EVER!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Plus you posted a want to buy add, these dirtbags feast on those and reach out to you.
They will rip a picture of the item from an old ad or google. Some even photoshop the note with their name and date on the photo

OP
M

mitchp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye
Plus you posted a want to buy add, these dirtbags feast on those and reach out to you.
They will rip a picture of the item from an old ad or google. Some even photoshop the note with their name and date on the photo
Yeah,I just saw that the other day. Guy photoshopped the note in. Friggin crazy..

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've seen sellers on here offer to have a short video call to verify they are real and the condition (or existence) of the item. That might become the most foolproof way!

OP
M

mitchp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen sellers on here offer to have a short video call to verify they are real and the condition (or existence) of the item. That might become the most foolproof way!
Not a bad idea,really..

Earp

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked up the difference between PayPal "goods and services" vs "friends and family" transactions. I do not use PayPal much or buy things over the internet so this was great information. Thanks for pointing it out.

What's the difference between friends and family or goods and services payments?

Personal Payments
Choose “Sending to a friend” for the everyday exchange of money between you and your friends and family.
Personal payments aren't covered by PayPal Purchase Protection.

Purchases for Goods and Services
Choose “Paying for an item or service” when buying goods or services. You can use this type of payment when you pay for an item you won in an auction, buy merchandise online, download a digital item, or something similar.
We cover eligible goods and services payments under PayPal Purchase Protection.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, I ain't no scammer but I don't accept PayPal goods and services either. If you sell over $600 in a year you get a 1099 and have to file it on your taxes. Everything I sell is at a loss, so I'm not gonna be paying taxes on it.

If someone doesn't feel comfortable with that, I hold no hard feelings toward them. I mostly sell my used goods on that big archery forum where I have accumulated a 5 star rating spanning several years and transactions, so it's not as big of a deal.

Gutshotem

WKR
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I just looked up the difference between PayPal "goods and services" vs "friends and family" transactions. I do not use PayPal much or buy things over the internet so this was great information. Thanks for pointing it out.

What's the difference between friends and family or goods and services payments?
Be careful what you use PP G&S for. I had my account locked for selling a S&W handgun magazine. They will also 10-99 you if you have over $600 in sale for the year.

Earp

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you have to be careful if using PayPal for guns, ammo or accessories. I think anything firearms related is against their terms of service. What do you all use instead of PayPal? Or do you use PayPal "Friends and Family" to not have a 1099?

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Well, I ain't no scammer but I don't accept PayPal goods and services either. If you sell over $600 in a year you get a 1099 and have to file it on your taxes. Everything I sell is at a loss, so I'm not gonna be paying taxes on it.

If someone doesn't feel comfortable with that, I hold no hard feelings toward them. I mostly sell my used goods on that big archery forum where I have accumulated a 5 star rating spanning several years and transactions, so it's not as big of a deal.

This is incorrect. It’s not total sales that you’re responsible for. You’d have to make a net gain in the year over $600 to be liable for tax.

This article sums it up pretty well. There is a lot of misinformation on this site about the guidance.

From the article:

“Form 1099-K is an IRS informational tax form that is used to report goods and services payments received by a business or individual in the calendar year. While banks and payment service providers, like PayPal and Venmo are required by the IRS to send customers a Form-1099K if they meet the $600 threshold amount, there are certain amounts that may be included on the form that are generally excluded from gross income and therefore are not subject to income tax. This includes:

• Amounts from selling personal items at a loss
  • Amounts sent as reimbursement
  • Amounts sent as a gift
So, for example, if you purchased a couch for $1200 and sold it for $800, this amount would not be subject to income tax.”

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is incorrect. It’s not total sales that you’re responsible for. You’d have to make a net gain in the year over $600 to be liable for tax.

This article sums it up pretty well. There is a lot of misinformation on this site about the guidance.

From the article:

“Form 1099-K is an IRS informational tax form that is used to report goods and services payments received by a business or individual in the calendar year. While banks and payment service providers, like PayPal and Venmo are required by the IRS to send customers a Form-1099K if they meet the $600 threshold amount, there are certain amounts that may be included on the form that are generally excluded from gross income and therefore are not subject to income tax. This includes:

• Amounts sent as a gift
So, for example, if you purchased a couch for $1200 and sold it for $800, this amount would not be subject to income tax.”
But you have to keep receipts to prove it and I'm not going to do that.

wyosteve

WKR
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I"ve preached the video call with the seller holding the item and take a screen shot of their face for years. Don't understand why people are so hesitant!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I know you have to be careful if using PayPal for guns, ammo or accessories. I think anything firearms related is against their terms of service. What do you all use instead of PayPal? Or do you use PayPal "Friends and Family" to not have a 1099?
GabPay, and supposedly Zelle doesn't do it.

From the article:

• Amounts sent as a gift
Yeah, no. Everybody understands you're not liable to pay taxes on the losses, the problem is you get the darn 1099 from PayPal/Venmo and have to account for it and prove that you don't owe taxes. I'd rather just skip the 1099 in the first place and leave me alone. Everything I sell is at a loss so I don't need one of the new 80k IRS agents looking through 1099's and my receipts from something I bought 10 years ago and decided to sell to determine if I owe taxes or not.