Kansas NR Deer Draw - New Rule Being Enforced Heads Up

I have been deer hunting in a Kansas for years, maybe 20 now, a buddy has a few sections in prime unit 16. I have done bow and rifle over the years. With rifle I usually enter and get drawn every other year, getting a preference point in between.

After I drew a tag I still needed to get my general NR hunting license, no problem.

Well, apparently since 2018 it was a requirement to buy your general NR hunting license ALONG with your NR Deer application. It was never enforced on their online licensing system, and you could check out with just your NR Deer Tag Application.

Well, they changed the system so now you cannot check out with your NR Deer Tag Application unless buying the general NR hunting license, $125 cost, as well. I called to confirm this with KDWP and found out about the rule change in 2018, but they just fixed the online portal this year.

Not a big deal this year as I should get drawn but seems wrong to make me pay $125 for a license I will not use if I do not get drawn is a total scam, I do not mind paying for the point if not drawn but this seems excessive. The KDWP lady told me she has received lots of complaints already about it and it just opened 4-1.

Am I way off base here?? Thanks Spence

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
That's how it is for the residents as well, so it's not just targeting the NR hunters. It is what it is.

OP
S
10-4. I have never had to do it before so kind of was suprised. Guess I was just lucky the last few years. I am buying one one his quarter sections this year so will get NR land owner tags in the future.

It's how things are going. This year I will hold hunting licenses in Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico that I will never use but had to buy just to apply. Idaho makes you buy one, too, I'm sure lots others.
True, I do as well, but at least in those states I’m applying or building for 3-6 species. Harder to justify it for building points for 1 species.

OP
S
You could buy a quarter section of Kansas and get landowner tags, apparently. Probably still complain about the taxes lol.
Of course I will complain about taxes, don't you?? I just wrote a check that was way to big for them.

hoff1ck

WKR
I have been deer hunting in a Kansas for years, maybe 20 now, a buddy has a few sections in prime unit 16. I have done bow and rifle over the years. With rifle I usually enter and get drawn every other year, getting a preference point in between.

After I drew a tag I still needed to get my general NR hunting license, no problem.

Well, apparently since 2018 it was a requirement to buy your general NR hunting license ALONG with your NR Deer application. It was never enforced on their online licensing system, and you could check out with just your NR Deer Tag Application.

Well, they changed the system so now you cannot check out with your NR Deer Tag Application unless buying the general NR hunting license, $125 cost, as well. I called to confirm this with KDWP and found out about the rule change in 2018, but they just fixed the online portal this year.

Not a big deal this year as I should get drawn but seems wrong to make me pay $125 for a license I will not use if I do not get drawn is a total scam, I do not mind paying for the point if not drawn but this seems excessive. The KDWP lady told me she has received lots of complaints already about it and it just opened 4-1.

I bought my NR point this morning for 25 plus the fees. Didn’t have to add the hunting license to submit and pay.

Assume this is only when you’re actually applying for the tag then?

That’s the way it is in all the other states I apply in.

The states make everyone pay to play.

There is a state that allows you to opt out of buying the license if you Don’t draw, but then you cannot build any points towards future draws.

Many western states are also charging $100+ per species just to get a point for the next year and that’s After buying the non refundable hunting license!

go_deep

WKR
If your hunting license is good for 1 full year apply with only a few days left this year, then apply right away next year while your 1 year license is still valid.
Cuts the cost in half anyway.

manitou1

WKR

It is organized gambling/organized crime brother. The way of the world now.

tdhanses

WKR

Many states require it, AZ for one. CO requires you buy a small game permit.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
That's why I love MO. No draws, no upfront fees, no points, just buy your licenses/tags OTC. CO absolutely sucks with their "qualifying license" now.

CJF

WKR
Its your choice to use the license or not. They are not forcing you to not use the license.