Keep the old and upgrade or buy new. Winchester M70 / Kimber

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Spent the last 5 days hunting my ELK rifle season. Borrowed a buddies Kimber Mountain Ascent and fell in love with it..... 6.5lbs.

My Winchester M70 7mm is a plump 10lbs.

So the dilema.........try to drop weight off the Winchester, or buy a new rifle?

Obviously there is always a budget.....not even sure I could justify the Kimber based just of weight savings alone.

i-zsMmB2Z-X2.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you're looking to save weight, but not wanting to fork out $1500+ for the Ascent- check out the Kimber Hunter Project thread

my Hunter now weighs just a little over 5.5 lbs (w/ scope/mounts), the accuracy is MOA (or better) and they can be had for half of what an Ascent costs

you can certainly lighten a M70, but it's going to cost a fair bit of cash as well (a McMillan stock runs $500-ish alone)

Probably spend as much on loosing weight on the 70 as buying a Kimber.
Do like I did and watch the classifieds here and other places or gunbroker.
I picked up an awesome Kimber Montana in 280ai. Shoots factory Hornady PH to 1/2”moa.
Topped it with a vortex razor LH (16oz) and it weighs 6.61#.

e64ddbf090674e487ab853077e9ea8fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get a new rifle it'll be same price or cheaper in the end. I got sucked down that hole lightening up a rem700 but it's sentimental so totally worth it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
You'll never be able to get the Kimber out of your head until you have one. You know you it fits the bill.

Go for it!

>>>-------JAKE---------->

mcseal2

WKR
I'm a big M70 fan and my main 2 big game rifles are M70's. I had Rifles Inc build me a LW70 that I have used successfully in several states over the last few years. They say right on their website to add 3/4 of a pound for the M70 action over a Remington 700 on their builds. I would probably go Kimber if weight is the primary concern. Not many people offer a true lightweight stock for an M70. My 264 win mag is supposed to be back from Manners in the next couple of weeks and will have a new EH1 with their light fill. It won't be super light but that's fine for that rifle. A primary reason I went with Rifles Inc for my other rifle is the weight of their stocks. My postage scale shows the stock from my LW70 at 18oz with a 1" recoil pad. It's pretty amazing to me how well that rifle shoots and handles the recoil of the 300 win mag with such a light stock.

TBHasler

WKR
Last 2 years Cabela’s had their Kimbers (Hunters and Ascents) on sale right after the new year. If you can wait, I’d check them out. Ascents were $1195-$1295 Hunter’s were around $650 if I remember right.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a mountain ascent in 300wsm with a nightforce shv 3-10, it’s a great set up, I’ve only shot it about 10 times though so far.

16Bore

WKR
No matter how light you get the M70, it won’t be a Kimber. That Kevlar stock is the trick to soaking up recoil. Trip the 70 unless you have a sentimental reason to keep it. Sell off junk to make up the difference. 70’s are tanks.

Fishmaster196

Lil-Rokslider
I have both. A Model 70 Classic Stainless in 300 WSM and a Kimber MA in 30-06. Both have Leupold 4.5x14 vx3i cds on them and both shoot moa. Same felt recoil. 1 is a WHOLE LOT LIGHTER then the other.

6.5 lbs., sounds kind of heavy! All joking aside, I’ll echo what’s already been stated, I think you will/could spend a lot of $$ trying to trim 4 lbs. off your 10 lb. Win., and I know how easy it is to get attached to a Kimber MA, so I get it. That said, if you weren’t in a big rush, you could shop around on some of the sites (Gunbroker, 24 hr. Campfire, here, etc.), and probably pick up a used Montana in the $800ish range, change out the trigger guard and bolt handle for $125, and have a Kimber that’s only a few oz. heavier than a MA, and put the money you saved into some nice glass.
But again, like what’s also already been stated, that MA sure is a sweetheart of a rifle.

Trees91

WKR
Get a Montana off Gunbroker, Reeds out of Walker Mn sells them for $1200ish. They ship free, no tax(assuming you’re not from Mn or Sd). The weight difference between the mtn ascent and Montana is not worth the money difference. I also prefer the texture of the Montana stock. Both KImbers I have owned have been shooters too.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
6.5 lbs., sounds kind of heavy! All joking aside, I’ll echo what’s already been stated, I think you will/could spend a lot of $$ trying to trim 4 lbs. off your 10 lb. Win., and I know how easy it is to get attached to a Kimber MA, so I get it. That said, if you weren’t in a big rush, you could shop around on some of the sites (Gunbroker, 24 hr. Campfire, here, etc.), and probably pick up a used Montana in the $800ish range, change out the trigger guard and bolt handle for $125, and have a Kimber that’s only a few oz. heavier than a MA, and put the money you saved into some nice glass.
But again, like what’s also already been stated, that MA sure is a sweetheart of a rifle.

My Montana has the same trigger guard as my mountain ascent. I did get a skeletonized bolt handle for my Montana though.