keeping antlers found while hunting in Montana

if i were to find sheds or a deceased animal with skull and antlers attached while hunting this year in Montana, is it legal to keep them? Thanks!

mt100gr.

WKR
Yes, you can keep them. Technically, they have to have either been shed or died of natural causes though. A buddy of mine found a nice bull that still had a broadhead tipped arrow in the pile of bones. He took both the skull and the arrow. Later that day, a warden who saw the rack in his truck asked about it and he told the story. No ticket, no warning but the antlers were confiscated. As I understand it, this applies to road killed critters as well but I still keep a sharp knife and a good saw in my rig. I just can't leave perfectly good antlers on the ground:)

slick

WKR
Pretty sure sheep is the only restriction. Have buddies who've found near skulls and have kept them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logan T

WKR
How about bear? Here you need a tag for having any part of a bear or lion.

Honestly, i've never checked the regs about a bear or lion, but i've never found one of them dead while out and about. I'll go out on a limb and guess that you can still pick them up.

2ski

WKR
There are areas you cannot pick up antlers if you find them here in Montana. One area being the "CMR Wildlife Refuge."

As long as its after May 15 you can, I'm pretty sure. I'm assuming you're talking the game ranges. Go by any of them on May 14 or the 15th before noon and check out the line/zoo.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
As long as its after May 15 you can, I'm pretty sure. I'm assuming you're talking the game ranges. Go by any of them on May 14 or the 15th before noon and check out the line/zoo.
I haven't been for years but there was no antler gathering on the cmr back then. I'd definitely double check before collecting any. I saw allot of antler out there too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How about bear? Here you need a tag for having any part of a bear or lion.
My brother found a dead lion about a month ago we called the local game warden he said you can’t pick them up even if the hide or skull is fine. We brought it to him to get tested for bird flu and haven’t heard anything back from him.

Logan T

WKR
Im pretty sure you can keep sheep now. You just have to call it in and have it checked out, then they plug em. @mtwarden does that sound correct?

That’s right…. That post you quoted me on is 8 years old so things have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk