Kids bow

Idahoguy

FNG
I have no idea if this has been discussed a bunch or not. I have 2 girls age 10 and 13 and a boy that is 7. I would like to get something for the girls but I have no idea what they would need. Any help would be great. Thanks

Rob5589

WKR
I started all of mine on inexpensive fiberglass recurves. One went into a compound for a short time then gave it up. There are all kinds of cheap beginner recurves on Amazon. I would not get in too deep money wise in the beginning.

OR Archer

WKR
If they’re 10 and 13 do not do a Diamond Atomic. That’s not a suitable bow for kids that age. I would start them out on a Genesis personally. It’s a good quality bow that they can both shoot to see if they actually like archery. If they do then I’d look at something from the Mission line of bows. Either the Hammr or Radik. Both of those models will last them to adulthood.

qwerksc

WKR
We have the atomic for the 9 yr old, just ordered a mission Radik for the 12 yr old, he should be able to shoot it for 2 or 3 years.

Wyonative

FNG
Started my granddaughter with a bear kids recurve, 6 months later and she is shooting an atomic ( age 5) she was board fast with the bear kids recurve. I can’t get her to put the atomic down. Definitely worth the money

Vaultman

WKR
Not to drop in on someone else's thread, but it is right up the alley of what I was looking for. (Hopefully the OP @Idahoguy got the answer they were looking for.)
I have a 7 1/2 years old daughter that is small for her age, AND a LEFTY. I also have a right handed 10 year old daughter, who happens to be tall. Both are interested in archery. Any suggestions.

Last edited:

Jonn44

FNG
Picked up a Bear youth bow for my son (8) for Christmas. Pretty budget and should be enough for him to get some experience with a compound bow.

Vaultman

WKR
I looked at an archery shop today. For my lefty, they said to check eye dominance (which I didn't really think of) and she is left eye dominant. So I certainly need a lefty bow for her. They had some of the bear ones there, but they were all right handers. They had some long bows that were lefty. I may just give them the gift of some time in the indoor range with some instruction. Then she can learn with someone that knows what they are doing better than her rifle hunter father.

jmez

WKR
If going compound style then mass weight of the bow is the number one consideration. It doesn't matter if they can pull it back and hold it all day if they can't hold it still. Kids are not that strong. The bow has to be light.

LostArra

WKR
If they’re 10 and 13 do not do a Diamond Atomic. That’s not a suitable bow for kids that age. I would start them out on a Genesis personally. It’s a good quality bow that they can both shoot to see if they actually like archery. If they do then I’d look at something from the Mission line of bows. Either the Hammr or Radik. Both of those models will last them to adulthood.

good advice
There is a reason the Genesis is used for so many youth programs.

Maki35

WKR
I bought my kids a Matthew genesis. They're older now, but they still use it.

Last edited:

Vaultman

WKR
For anyone wondering on this now, or in the future.... I went with the Genesis Bow for my 11 yo daughter, and the Genesis Mini for my 7 yo (lefty) daughter. These are GREAT for them at this age. They have loved shooting them, and it gives me some special dad time with the girls. No sights on them for now, just learning form, draw, hold, release, etc.
Both bows are adjustable in weight and you don't have to sorry about let-off or draw length.

Have a look at the Genesis Bow. It does not need you to set the draw length/etc as they grow. One bow does our kids, and even lets us take some shots while camping or whatever. All their friends can use it without change as well.

Vaultman

WKR
Have a look at the Genesis Bow. It does not need you to set the draw length/etc as they grow. One bow does our kids, and even lets us take some shots while camping or whatever. All their friends can use it without change as well.
Yeah, they are fun for adults as well!!!!

Kenai

WKR
Both my kids are on Genesis bows as well.

They enjoy them and the best part is they can grow with them :)