Kifaru Lumbar Pack

Looking for advice on Kifaru lumber pack differences. FYI; I have a Kifaru 14r that I can use to pack more clothes if needed and primarily use it for airline travel or hunting trips out west.
for this Lumbar Pack, I need something that is smaller and lower profile that I will use almost exclusively for Whitetail hunts only. Day hunts, like tree sits or slipping around. I will not need for a whole bunch of stuff at all. Pack for gloves, thermacell, extra “Stuff” rather than taking a bunch of pockets. Maybe strap on rattling horns. Hang on a ladder in the tree. Hers is what I see but have not had the luxury to really compare: Hellcat is just too big (could use my backpack instead. Scout is just a little smaller and can add pouches. Tailgunner 1 I’d smallest but can add a bunch of pouches for “stuff” and easy to tote around.
Can anyone elaborate on this and correct me what’re I am wrong?
I love the simplicity of grabbing one pack of my minor gear and moving to woods quickly and not being overpacked. I just don’t need a lot. But I love Kifaru so I am staying in that lane. Thank you in advance!

OP
G_Tacoma

G_Tacoma

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for advice on Kifaru lumber pack differences. FYI; I have a Kifaru 14r that I can use to pack more clothes if needed and primarily use it for airline travel or hunting trips out west.
for this Lumbar Pack, I need something that is smaller and lower profile that I will use almost exclusively for Whitetail hunts only. Day hunts, like tree sits or slipping around. I will not need for a whole bunch of stuff at all. Pack for gloves, thermacell, extra “Stuff” rather than taking a bunch of pockets. Maybe strap on rattling horns. Hang on a ladder in the tree. Hers is what I see but have not had the luxury to really compare: Hellcat is just too big (could use my backpack instead. Scout is just a little smaller and can add pouches. Tailgunner 1 I’d smallest but can add a bunch of pouches for “stuff” and easy to tote around.
I love the simplicity of grabbing one pack of my minor gear and moving to woods quickly and not being overpacked. I just don’t need a lot. But I love Kifaru so I am staying in that lane. Thank you in advance!
I’d say a tailgunner would work really well for ya, especially if you already have a 14r. Sometimes it’s best to keep it small so you‘re not tempted to pack a bunch of crap you dont need.

VAMountainHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hellcat is total 1520 cu in. Scout is 1300 cu in. Hellcat has 3 @ 140 cu in pouches built in. Scout main body is slightly bigger. But no pouches. Time you add 1 pouch you're virtually the same capacity.

But I may buy the Scout when they release it. With Kifaru you can always recoup 99% ( maybe more on fleabay ) of your $$$ back if not happy. There's a Scout on there now for $475.

I have a tailgunner 1. The small volume of the pack limits the amount of things you can do with it.

It's an excellent warm-weather pack but is short on volume when wanting to remove layers and stuff them in the pack during cold-weather hikes, or pack extra gear like camera's, battery packs, food, water etc.

For this reason (and a few others not mentioned), I may either buy a Scout or X-Ray for my cold-weather and long duration hikes.

For your use, I feel the Tailgunner 1 would be a bit too small for it to accomplish everything you need it to on most occasions, and instead, would recommend either a Scout or X-Ray

VAMountainHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think the Scout has 1 compartment and it's larger than the others. But total capacity Hellcat has more because of 3 additional 140 cu in pockets built in.

I just jumped on the Hellcat in camo before it was gone. I'll probably get the scout when it comes out and sell the one I don't want to keep. Given the limited notice and all if you blink it's over.

pc3

WKR
They should offer all three advertise that orders are open for a month then do the run and ship out. I really want a scout and don’t want to miss out but I’m not glued to interweb 24/7 makes it tough....

I’d say a tailgunner would work really well for ya, especially if you already have a 14r. Sometimes it’s best to keep it small so you‘re not tempted to pack a bunch of crap you dont need.
Exactly. Here in the south you rarely pack changes of clothes. Most the time it is sitting in a tree for hours if not all day. Lunch snd a drink along with thermacell and flagging tape to trail an animal. Like you said, it can add up. For my elk hunts I’ll carry the 14r or the small place. Extra straps allow me to strap on jackets or shirts.

Not really a Lumbar pack guy (always end up carrying enough crap to just use an actual pack), but placed an order for a RG Hellcat... will try it out for summer scouting/photography and possibly early season tree stand hunting.

That's how I take their lineup as well.

The Hellcat sale is over, so that leaves the Scout or TG1.

Personally, the Scout is too close to a small pack for me to consider it (google some photos, it goes really high up the back, and negates any of the hot weather benefits of a lumbar pack). If you are a super minimalist packer then maybe go Scout, but I'd go TG1 with some added pouches for organization. If you need more space then the TG1, then just jump up to a pack. The pack will be more versatile, and more comfortable.

OP
G_Tacoma

G_Tacoma

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly. Here in the south you rarely pack changes of clothes. Most the time it is sitting in a tree for hours if not all day. Lunch snd a drink along with thermacell and flagging tape to trail an animal. Like you said, it can add up. For my elk hunts I’ll carry the 14r or the small place. Extra straps allow me to strap on jackets or shirts.
You can always add a couple pockets to it as well if you need a little extra room

I'd be down with a Scout my self, but I will say I m super annoyed that Kifaru didn't really give a decent heads up on this, I didn't receive any notification either and I have consistently been too late to the party to pick up a scout before they are gone. I've be trying for years to get a new scout. This time it was a miss on the Hellcat which is good , but not as nice as the scout with the stays. Seriously irritated Kifaru .......

Last edited: