Kifaru Nomad User Reviews

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
Aron, could you explain to me why the Nomad doesn't extend to the bottom of the frame? Is it to facilitate a higher center of gravity when hauling a load? Just seems like you give up a bit of storage in the wings that could extend down further.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Aron, could you explain to me why the Nomad doesn't extend to the bottom of the frame? Is it to facilitate a higher center of gravity when hauling a load? Just seems like you give up a bit of storage in the wings that could extend down further.

Several reasons.

1) Since the stay is curved to your back, getting it to stay tight was difficult when full length. So stopping the Nomad where we did was the best option.

2) Having a 26" long giant tube was not received well by the people we had test it in the proto phase . They said something like "that big tube is bull shit to get small items out of"!

3) We offer several pocket options (a pod for example) that attached to the bottom, but still allowed for the wings to close. This configuration was chosen by all of the people we had test the pack, as it added more versatility.

I'd list the others, but I'm a little wrapped up at the moment..... hope this makes sense.

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I figured it was the long tube issue, and having top access is key for accessing items when strapped. Thanks for your time.

That bugged me about the nomad, and it still does to be honest... looks a little strange and feels like wasted space... but now that I have it I can say that the tubes are just the right size. You can get most anything in them and getting stuff out of them isnt to bad.

edg1967

WKR
I can't remember if it was here or on another post on the Nomad, but I thought I remembered Aron or someone posting about the different size pods that would work on the bottom of the pack, under the tubes. I can't seem to find it now, but would like to know if a medium or large works better. I would probably use it to put a puffy & raingear in for day-pack use.

dotman

WKR
I can't remember if it was here or on another post on the Nomad, but I thought I remembered Aron or someone posting about the different size pods that would work on the bottom of the pack, under the tubes. I can't seem to find it now, but would like to know if a medium or large works better. I would probably use it to put a puffy & raingear in for day-pack use.

Medium is what you want.

F'n UPS my pack said out for delivery and it didn't arrive before I had to come into work tonight, Oh well hopefully its at my house in the morning when I get home. The downside of rural delivery.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yep, medium would be best. You could use a small for your listed items, but you'd be screwed if you wanted more space later.

edg1967

WKR
Yep, medium would be best. You could use a small for your listed items, but you'd be screwed if you wanted more space later.

Thanks Aron. That's what I needed to know. Looks like I'll be calling tomorrow to add to my order.

Scotto

WKR
Bikini/Nomad on order. I am looking at hanging my 3 liter Source bladder between the tubes. Has anyone tried the Kifaru #4 mesh Lock and Load? At 10"x15", it looks like it would work.
Also, any thoughts on the Spec-Ops H.U.M.P for this application?

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
Can't wait for mine to arrive... I will put up some pics of it hauling deer when the rut begins next month and test it on the Tahr filled mountains of New Zealand in August.

bandit1

FNG
Bikini/Nomad on order. I am looking at hanging my 3 liter Source bladder between the tubes. Has anyone tried the Kifaru #4 mesh Lock and Load? At 10"x15", it looks like it would work.
Also, any thoughts on the Spec-Ops H.U.M.P for this application?

I've got the #4 lock and load and it fits well between the wings. My 3L bladder fits in it with room to spare (geigerrig)

I wish I could figure out/decide which pocket option will be best for me at the space under the bottom of the wings. I want the 4 3 bar sliders on the pouch to fit just right into the 4 plastic common loops at the bottom of the frame (2 are at the bottom and 2 just above that, designed for the grab it lock into I believe) so that it fights tight and looks like its part of the nomad. I talked to Aron and he thought a medium belt pouch or a long pocket mid... Anyone happen to have tried one that works just right?

Last edited:
Im liking the look and function of running the grab it with the straps under the wings. If I have a big enough load I can move the grab it straps to the outside. But having the grab it there fills up that space below the wing and makes my pack load ready for my camp bag or meat. I think I will give up the idea of running some type of pocket below the wings.

OP
Wrench77

Wrench77

WKR
That should work just fine. The best thing about the Nomad is just how versatile it is. You can pretty easily come up with different configurations for whatever your current need is.

What would be the best dry bag to use as a camp bag? Want something pretty tall and skinny that fits nicely between the wings... I tried a kuiu XXL dry bag and its to wide.

dotman

WKR
What would be the best dry bag to use as a camp bag? Want something pretty tall and skinny that fits nicely between the wings... I tried a kuiu XXL dry bag and its to wide.

Checkout the Outdoor Research durable dry sack, size 55L. This is the dry bag Aron used in the videos. Looked to fit pretty well.