Kifaru Nomad User Reviews

OP
Wrench77

Wrench77

WKR
What would be the best dry bag to use as a camp bag? Want something pretty tall and skinny that fits nicely between the wings... I tried a kuiu XXL dry bag and its to wide.

I ordered the 55L and the 25L Outdoor Research durable dry sack and I prefer the size of the 25L between the wings. I'll try to post a picture of it stuffed soon.

I ordered the 55L and the 25L Outdoor Research durable dry sack and I prefer the size of the 25L between the wings. I'll try to post a picture of it stuffed soon.

I felt the same looking at the demensions but I wasnt sure if the 25L would give me the room I need. I want to be able to get sleep system, clothes, and food, in it.

OP
Wrench77

Wrench77

WKR
I felt the same looking at the demensions but I wasnt sure if the 25L would give me the room I need. I want to be able to get sleep system, clothes, and food, in it.

The 25L would probably be tight for all that. I think the 55L is a better option for hauling gear and the 25L is a better option for hauling meat. The 25L has a much smaller diameter which will help to keep deboned meet from sagging. Obviously I haven't hauled any meat yet so this is pure speculation.

Thanks Greg still waiting for my frame and I want to run a few configurations with it, but probably will pull the trigger on the camp bag before season starts

I got it too. I think it'll work awesome and is made for the job. I dont really see much advantage to using a random dry bag. Seems obvious to just go with the bag built for the purpose. Maybe its just me.

Random dry bag $30. Bag built for the purpose $100. That would be my only reason...

Those two reasons are why i'm contemplating the camp bag. Although it does seem like it would be a lot handier and have a lot more room for stuff. Plus I know if I got to order the camp bag I will also order three or four other items I don't necessarily need, but if I got to pay shipping might as well as stack up the order

bbrown

WKR
Maybe I missed this somewhere but at one point I thought Aron said the camp bags would not have the storm flap covering the zipper like the EMRII. However I was just looking at them on the Kifaru website and they added some pictures of bags in CB, MC and foliage and it looks like the added the storm flap.
I like it.

Your right it does look like they have a storm flap I also believe they added dual zippers on them and they weren't like that when first introduced.

OP
Wrench77

Wrench77

WKR
I got it too. I think it'll work awesome and is made for the job. I dont really see much advantage to using a random dry bag. Seems obvious to just go with the bag built for the purpose. Maybe its just me.

The reason I'm using the dry sack is more for meat packing. I can easily slip a bomb bag full of meat into the dry sack and keep the nomad from being covered in blood. The camp bag and a trash bag would also for work for that scenario.

beaston

FNG
I have a highlander Bikini,Nomad and CB coming by the weekend or Monday at the latest. I will know for sure if the improvements were made. Keep you posted.. Can't wait

Bryan

OP
Wrench77

Wrench77

WKR
Here is a pic of the Nomad with a fully stuffed 25L dry sack and then a pic with the 55L and 25L dry sack for size comparison.

c5mrr270

WKR
Where did you find the brown color bags? I've been looking but haven't found somewhere I can purchase them yet.

dotman

WKR
Where did you buy your OR tactical dry bags? OR isn't showing a price or ordering option on their tactical website.

bandit1

FNG
The camp bag looks like an awesome solution to storage between the wings of the nomad but I just can't get past the fact that it isn't waterproof. I'm going to make my own version of it with some coated nylon and waterproof zipper. I would have already bought one if it was waterproof. my 2 cents.

colonel00

WKR
The camp bag looks like an awesome solution to storage between the wings of the nomad but I just can't get past the fact that it isn't waterproof. I'm going to make my own version of it with some coated nylon and waterproof zipper. I would have already bought one if it was waterproof. my 2 cents.

CB description on kifaru website states it has a waterproof zipper.

One thing to keep in mind is a zipper, regardless of its "waterproofness", is not truly waterproof unless it is one of the super fancy ones and it is installed perfectly. I still shy away from those waterproof duffle bags and waders with zippers. The bag I made is made of silnylon and has a "waterproof" zipper. The problem lies in the fact that there is almost always a little gap in the end of the zipper or if it has two pulls, where the pulls meet. Sure it will shed rain and not absorb water like a regular zipper but the bag itself will most definitely leak when submerged. A dry bag has a rolled top and sealed seams (taped or otherwise) and it is designed to truly be waterproof.

I guess the bigger question is how did you keep your stuff dry before in a regular pack and what do you really expect from the "camp bag"? If you want something that will keep everything dry should you take a swim down a river, get a true dry bag. If you just want a vessel to hold your camp gear and shed off some light to moderate rain on the hike in then the camp bag or something else will do fine.

Last edited: