Kifaru slick bag?

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
I had the first generation 20° bag. It did not keep me warm, I sold it and bought a second generation 0° bag and it is warm I sleep cold, I usually have a thermarest xtherm underneath it, and wear a base layer sometimes more, I don’t like the feel of the material against my skin

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had a slick and didn’t keep it very long. It wasn’t warm and is about the size of 2 down sleeping bags. Kifaru dosent even include a stuff sack with them either.

Spend your money elsewhere.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Wow this thread saved me some money. I was looking at one of these for a cold weather bag.

Man I’m really surprised at all the negative comments. I have a 20d slik that I bought about 3yrs ago and I’d say the mid to high 20s is as cold as I’ve had it in, and I’ve only had a couple cheaper synthetic bags precious to this one, but I love it and think it’s worth every penny. I’ve never been cold in that bag. I’m 6’ 235 with wide shoulders and it’s got plenty of room and I have zero desire to even look at any other sleeping bags. I will agree that it’s kinda chicken s*** that it doesn’t come with a stuff sack for that kinda money though.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Man I’m really surprised at all the negative comments. I have a 20d slik that I bought about 3yrs ago and I’d say the mid to high 20s is as cold as I’ve had it in, and I’ve only had a couple cheaper synthetic bags precious to this one, but I love it and think it’s worth every penny. I’ve never been cold in that bag. I’m 6’ 235 with wide shoulders and it’s got plenty of room and I have zero desire to even look at any other sleeping bags. I will agree that it’s kinda chicken s*** that it doesn’t come with a stuff sack for that kinda money though.
So, what size bag fits you so well?

loopmtz

Lil-Rokslider
As a big guy I use the regular wide 20 degree and have lots of room to move around.The center zip is handy. I have used this bag exclusively for the last three years and absolutely love it and always stay warm.

Love my Slick Bag. It’s too bombproof to leave at home. I’ll gladly take the weight and space penalty knowing it keeps me warm and won’t fail regardless of what I do to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have experience with 20-30 Slik bags, and that many people. Both 0° and 20°. As a durable, short use beat on bag they’re pretty solid. However, you need to add around 20°+ to their rating for comfort- I.E.- the 0° Slik for the vast majority is miserable at 0° with correct pads, but is ok at 20’is degrees. The 20° is really a 35-40° bag. Those same people also got SG Chilkoot bags and/or EE quilts and I don’t think anyone chose to use the Slik after getting the others.

The real issue is like all synthetic insulation is that the short life span. In about 60 nights of use my first 0° had less loft than a new 20° Slik. Synthetic is only “durable” for abuse- tears, rips, etc. They’re longevity sucks in comparison to good down. The first legit down bag I used was a Marmot 0° that has between 600 and 800 nights of use, has been washed twice and is as lofty as when brand new. Several Chilkoots that have several hundred nights as are still as new, multiple EE quilts and Zen Bivys with several hundred nights and all are as lofty as new.

@*zap*

If you want room for the dog and also confit, I would highly suggest looking at Zen Bivys. The down won’t get torn as there is no bottom part, but they also make a synthetic that has done well for the use I have on it. They have more room and are significantly more comfortable than any bag, without any of the drawbacks of a conventional quilt.

I have experience with 20-30 Slik bags, and that many people. Both 0° and 20°. As a durable, short use beat on bag they’re pretty solid. However, you need to add around 20°+ to their rating for comfort- I.E.- the 0° Slik for the vast majority is miserable at 0° with correct pads, but is ok at 20’is degrees. The 20° is really a 35-40° bag. Those same people also got SG Chilkoot bags and/or EE quilts and I don’t think anyone chose to use the Slik after getting the others.

The real issue is like all synthetic insulation is that the short life span. In about 60 nights of use my first 0° had less loft than a new 20° Slik. Synthetic is only “durable” for abuse- tears, rips, etc. They’re longevity sucks in comparison to good down. The first legit down bag I used was a Marmot 0° that has between 600 and 800 nights of use, has been washed twice and is as lofty as when brand new. Several Chilkoots that have several hundred nights as are still as new, multiple EE quilts and Zen Bivys with several hundred nights and all are as lofty as new.

@*zap*

If you want room for the dog and also confit, I would highly suggest looking at Zen Bivys. The down won’t get torn as there is no bottom part, but they also make a synthetic that has done well for the use I have on it. They have more room and are significantly more comfortable than any bag, without any of the drawbacks of a conventional quilt.
You mentioned the Chilkoot bag. I own a Zen Bivy and have enjoyed it, though I seriously wonder if the 18oz weight penalty I incur by carrying it (when compared to a 15* chilkoot) is worthwhile. I've never owned a chilkoot, so what say you? Is it really 18 oz better or is the zen bivy a 'closer to the trailhead' bag?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I have one of the first center zip versions of the Slick bag in 20°. I find it true to rating. I always take it with me to Kodiak. I know I should be able to trust my down bags there but I just can’t do it. I trust that Slick bag if things go sideways.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You mentioned the Chilkoot bag. I own a Zen Bivy and have enjoyed it, though I seriously wonder if the 18oz weight penalty I incur by carrying it (when compared to a 15* chilkoot) is worthwhile. I've never owned a chilkoot, so what say you? Is it really 18 oz better or is the zen bivy a 'closer to the trailhead' bag?

I only use the Zen Bivy now, unless it’s 50° nights then it’s just a light quilt. The weight is beyond worth it to me.

I have had 2 slick bags. One was stolen and I bought another because I love the design and roominess. I stuff my puffy and other clothes into the foot box. My 20 degree bag definitely benefited from a Woobie in addition to it when we got in the teens and low twenties. For COLD kind of cold, I prefer a good down bag.