Kifaru Timberline Series vs Reckoning

Bcleck90

WKR
I picked up a DT1 on here recently for my first Kifaru pack to check out (ordering a frame soon). I looked at a lot of different Kifaru packs and really liked the layout of the Timberline series so figured I’d give it a try first.

First impressions are I still really like the layout. Simple design and pocket placement. My only concern is loading meat into it (narrow top). Anyone owned both and prefer the center zip of the Reckoning?

My buddy switched to the Reckoning and loves it! I have the old BT1 and love the size and simplicity. Although I do drool over that Reckoning.

OP
B

Bcleck90

WKR
My buddy switched to the Reckoning and loves it! I have the old BT1 and love the size and simplicity. Although I do drool over that Reckoning.

Having experience with both or at least seeing them side by side which one do you think you’d prefer?

Having experience with both or at least seeing them side by side which one do you think you’d prefer?

I've had alot of time to reflect on that the last couple years and I think either is a good choice. I am going to stick with my BT1 bag, and if the Duplex light frame will work with this bag, I'm gonna order a frame. The Bikini has never quite fit just right but I have hauled a bunch of meat and gear in this thing. If the Duplex Light does not work with this bag, I'm gonna order a Reckoning.

Decker9

WKR
I used the dt1 for 4-5 years for 10-14 day mountain hunts, and last season I switched out to the reckoning.

the reckoning worked for my 10 days, it was full, but it worked. There was no ram taken, but between the load shelf, my pack dog and my gf, we woulda made it work. No way could I do a successful solo 10 days with my reckoning, the dt1 has no problem tho.
I must say , I like the Center zip more then the zip on the dt

Top loading meat isn’t as bad as one may think. Put my meat in garbage bags and everything stays dry.

Personally, if I’m going solo, I’ll take my DT1, if I have a partner to help with meat, I’ll take the reckoning.

OP
B

Bcleck90

WKR
Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I figured there may be a few with some experience with both packs.

I used the dt1 for 4-5 years for 10-14 day mountain hunts, and last season I switched out to the reckoning.

the reckoning worked for my 10 days, it was full, but it worked. There was no ram taken, but between the load shelf, my pack dog and my gf, we woulda made it work. No way could I do a successful solo 10 days with my reckoning, the dt1 has no problem tho.
I must say , I like the Center zip more then the zip on the dt

Top loading meat isn’t as bad as one may think. Put my meat in garbage bags and everything stays dry.

Personally, if I’m going solo, I’ll take my DT1, if I have a partner to help with meat, I’ll take the reckoning.

I've seen the Reckoning with 10 days. It will do it. I've done 10 no problem with the T1

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
DT1 owner for a few years. Love the pack. Use it for day hunts and up to 10 days. I have stuffed half elks and bear hides in it. Always fits with a little persuasion. If the diameter of the opening was a few inches wider I wouldn't complain, but it always gets the job done.

What size boneless bags are you guys loading in a DT1 or T1, that getting it in the top opening is a big problem?

Here is what I figured out loading meat in a DT2. While not a T1 or DT1, the same principal will apply. If the side pockets are full, making the bag stand somewhat erect, it loads deboned meat much better. as far as quartered meat, the only thing I've done was deer. And, it slides right in no problem with those.

I have no experience with a reckoning. But, I do love the timberline bag layout. I can't imagine a T1 or DT1 being to big of a problem getting a load of meat on top of ten days worth of camp.

OP
B

Bcleck90

WKR
What size boneless bags are you guys loading in a DT1 or T1, that getting it in the top opening is a big problem?

Here is what I figured out loading meat in a DT2. While not a T1 or DT1, the same principal will apply. If the side pockets are full, making the bag stand somewhat erect, it loads deboned meat much better. as far as quartered meat, the only thing I've done was deer. And, it slides right in no problem with those.

I have no experience with a reckoning. But, I do love the timberline bag layout. I can't imagine a T1 or DT1 being to big of a problem getting a load of meat on top of ten days worth of camp.

Thanks for the tip with the pockets being full. I’ll give that a try this year.

ScottinPA

WKR
I ran the DT1 for a few years but it was more bag than I really needed. To accommodate meat I had Rugged Stitching make a separate load shelf to connect between the bag and frame. I don't think the new frames have the connection points though.

Poaks0810

FNG
I took my reckoning for 6 days out in Colorado. I packed a good bit into it, but not sure how it would have done had we had to load meat too. It was my first time so being new to the whole pack thing I'm sure I wasn't doing it all correctly.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The T1 or any of the T1 offshoots will carry all a person can handle. When I think about all the meat and gear my BT1 has hauled, I am impressed. I think I just talked myself into keeping the bag and upgrading the frame ;)

The versatility is what I love about the T1 bag. I can be bare bones and compressed down to nothing, or loaded for a 10 day hunt and still have room.

Packs a full mule deer with ease. Handles Quartered or bone meat well with 80-100 lbs being the norm when packing elk out ;)

It's a light pack for it's size. It dries pretty quick should you get caught in the rain. You can get everything you need in it.

Last edited:

rbljack

WKR
No experience with the first pack mentioned, but I love the reckoning so far. The layout is good for me and had enough room for 4 days easy on a backpack hunt. Cinches down nice for day hunting. Center zip has been great as well for quick access to items within the bag. I also like the fact that I can carry my bladder between the bag and frame instead of risking a popped bladder IN the bag.

The DT1 been the best all around design they’ve ever produced. Truly a one and done bag from day trips to 10+ days. Size, organization, and layout are a perfect blend for any type of trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bcleck90

WKR
Thank you everyone for the replies. I may pick up a Reckoning to check out at some point but I’m going to give the DT1 a go for now. Just wanted to see if anyone had the same thoughts on the top opening vs center zip!

rbljack

WKR
I can tell you that I am in and out of that center zip a handful of times a day during a hunt. Being able to reach in and grab something out of the bottom of the bag without having to go in from the top was a MAIN advantage to the reckoning for me. Good luck in your decision. I have no experience with the DT1 though.

Ok quick edit: just searched for the DT1 videos on youtube. If that Dt1 and DT2 can compress for day hunting, I can see how that zippered sleeping back section at the bottom would work well also! If Im seeing this right.

Last edited: