Kifaru Wind River jacket review ***Updated 5/21/23***

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used this jacket a bunch on my high country mule deer hunt. Great lite weight option for cutting the wind
ae51e85e01bd41c6387f16140135aaac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Still using mine too. I have to milk the zipper to get it up but other than that it’s holding up really well. I’ll bet it has 50 days on it already. (I wear it to work quite a bit too)

So far so good for me. Just got back from a 5 day backpacking trip in Arizona and wore it every day (usually morning and evening).

For 4.5 oz it really block the wind, it's probably a little less breathable than my Black Diamond Alpine Start, but still decently breathable.

The light weight and the fact that you can stuff it in a cargo pocket when not needed is pretty nice :D
I’m really torn between this, the Sitka Mountain Evo, and the Black Diamond Alpine starter. I would like to use the wind layer over an Ambient hoody. Of these three which one would you recommend ? Thanks

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m really torn between this, the Sitka Mountain Evo, and the Black Diamond Alpine starter. I would like to use the wind layer over an Ambient hoody. Of these three which one would you recommend ? Thanks

I've got all three so should be able to shed a little light on the matter :)

For a light wind layer, tough to beat the Kifaru.

The Kifaru is going to be lacking in the precip department, it's also probably the least durable- heck it only weighs 4 oz though! :)

The Evo is going to shed the wind and precip the best of the three, also the most durable, but weighs more obviously.

The Alpine Start falls in between on wind/precip/durability/weight.

Breathability I'd say Alpine Start->Evo->Wind River in that order.

I think the Alpine Start is a great choice for higher aerobic activities (x-country skiing/trail running/fast packing/etc).

For most hunting scenarios I think the Evo is going to be a better bet. It offers the best wind and precip protection (not a rain jacket, but gets close), the most durable (but also the heaviest) and it's also pretty breathable with the back panel and under arm panels.

If it's just a light wind layer your looking for, probably the Wind River.

For a jacket that does more and is closing in on soft-shell territory (without the weight), the Evo.

For something in between the Alpine Start.

I've got all three so should be able to shed a little light on the matter :)

For a light wind layer, tough to beat the Kifaru.

The Kifaru is going to be lacking in the precip department, it's also probably the least durable- heck it only weighs 4 oz though! :)

The Evo is going to shed the wind and precip the best of the three, also the most durable, but weighs more obviously.

The Alpine Start falls in between on wind/precip/durability/weight.

Breathability I'd say Alpine Start->Evo->Wind River in that order.

I think the Alpine Start is a great choice for higher aerobic activities (x-country skiing/trail running/fast packing/etc).

For most hunting scenarios I think the Evo is going to be a better bet. It offers the best wind and precip protection (not a rain jacket, but gets close), the most durable (but also the heaviest) and it's also pretty breathable with the back panel and under arm panels.

If it's just a light wind layer your looking for, probably the Wind River.

For a jacket that does more and is closing in on soft-shell territory (without the weight), the Evo.

For something in between the Alpine Start.
You sir, are a scholar! Thank you for the information. Much appreciated

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not that one, but most of the Rab stuff I do own is XL and I usually wear a Large. Just seems to run a little small (for me anyways)

ehayes

FNG
For a wind shirt, would you recommend it fit on the more snug side? I’m picturing a loose fitting jacket flapping in the wind making a bunch of noise. As I understand it is supposed to fit underneath a mid layer, is that correct? Thanks for any comments.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
For a wind shirt, would you recommend it fit on the more snug side? I’m picturing a loose fitting jacket flapping in the wind making a bunch of noise. As I understand it is supposed to fit underneath a mid layer, is that correct? Thanks for any comments.
mine is "loose-snug" meaning just right. no flapping in the wind, but not tight at all.

Love mine!

but @mtwarden will chime in.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

I like to use my windshirt as the out most layer, whether using just a base layer or a base and midlayer. It doesn’t have to be very loose to cover those two layers.

I wear a Large in almost everything and the Kifaru Wind River in that size easily accommodates both scenarios without being overly loose :).

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
I used mine quite a bit this year and really enjoyed it for the wind and as a light shell. The only thing that bothered me was the elastic in the waist band. Especially if I was wear a pack or glassing it would ride up all the time. I took the elastic out and tenacious taped it. It never leaves my pack, great piece of gear.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
This might be a dumb question. To the guys that utilized this in the cold with a puffy, are you wearing it under or over the puffy? I have the old version of the mountain jacket which I love, but I like the weight and packability of this.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This might be a dumb question. To the guys that utilized this in the cold with a puffy, are you wearing it under or over the puffy? I have the old version of the mountain jacket which I love, but I like the weight and packability of this.
Didn’t wear mine with a puffy, because it provides good wind protection itself but if I were to wear the wind jacket, I would put it over the puffy.

@mtwarden ?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if it fits, over the puffy; if it doesn't fit under will still provide decent warmth

Hoghead

WKR
I wore mine this season as a shell over a base layer and over my puffy. It worked very well both ways. It's definitely something I would buy again. Mine fit true to size.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hey @mtwarden thanks for the review on this piece.

I am looking for something that could potentially replace my current lightweight windshirt/light precipitation jacket, which is my Patagonia Houdini. Been using this jacket since it came out and the different iterations of it over the years (must be over 15 years now). It checks every box for me other than one area... I find myself buying one every other year or so due to durability.

Sounds like the Kifaru probably isn't the jacket I'm looking for... Is there something on par spec/performance wise with the Houdini that doesn't wear out so quickly I could try?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Kifaru is a more durable than the Houdini, but at 4-ish ounces isn't going to be overly durable.

The Black Diamond Alpine Start w/ a Schoeller fabric is more durable than either, roughly double the weight though. Performance is good in regards to breathability and wind resistance. Still not bomber though, but you should see longer life.

Gents -the good folks at Rokslide (and Kifaru) have supplied me with a Wind River jacket. This is a wind jacket, what I've always referred to a windshirt. I'm a big proponent of windshirts- for the weight they are far and away the most versatile piece of clothing made imho.

What I'm looking for in a windshirt is wind resistance balanced with the ability to breathe (too much wind resistance usually results in a garment that won't breathe, too little and wind chills you quickly). I'm also looking for the ability to fend off light precipitation and light weight as well.

I received mine yesterday. Mine is a size Large and it fits just right (I'm 5'11" 180 lbs for reference).

It's only offered in one color (Ranger Green), but definitely a hunter friendly color.

It is very lightweight, mine weighs 4.4 oz- that's pretty svelte!

Full zipper. The hood, cuffs and hem have elastic to keep everything in place and weather out. One slash pocket that closes with velcro which also serves to pack the jacket into a very small form.

Look forward to putting it through it's paces in the upcoming weeks :)

Mike

***Update 5/21/23*** Kifaru Wind River Jacket Review

@robby denning @realunlucky @Brock A

JEAiqUt.jpg
I am wanting a
So far so good for me. Just got back from a 5 day backpacking trip in Arizona and wore it every day (usually morning and evening).

For 4.5 oz it really block the wind, it's probably a little less breathable than my Black Diamond Alpine Start, but still decently breathable.

The light weight and the fact that you can stuff it in a cargo pocket when not needed is pretty nice :D
I need something light/small to carry in turkey vest for pop up showers. This is something that I would only have on 10-15 min walking. A full waterproof hoody will make too much sweat in late spring