Kifaru Woobie vs HPG Mtn Serape

Seeing if anyone has any experience with both of these?

Ideally I want to use it for those early morning/late night glassing times for rifle season; and thinking of keeping it in my pack during the day in case I decide to bivy out from main camp during archery season.

I've looked at the specs; Woobie is bigger(60x93in)/more insulation(3.6oz Apex)/cheaper and weighs less (1lb 15oz).

The HPG is 66x88in, but it states that when in sleeping bag mode if will extend 1' past the head of a 5'10" person, 2.4oz primaloft fusion insulation and weighs 2.5lbs.

HPG is more expensive, but has the zipper/hood feature to make it more like a sleeping bag/poncho.

These specs are going off their respective sites. So is more insulation necessarily warmer? Didn't research the differences between Apex and primaloft fusion insulation.

What do you think?

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t speak for the Woobie. I have the Serape and it is great for glassing in the cold. In sleeping bag mode it goes well beyond my head (5’9”). It zips length wise so it is 88” or 7’4”. I’ve used it to take naps and as an overbag to add to my sleeping bag, and as a stand-alone bag when the temps got down to the high 40s. I even tried it out one night with puffies to see how it would do. I don’t know the temp, but it snowed that night and I would guess 29ish. I was noticeably cool, so it was a good test of the concept but I wouldn’t do it again on purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the serape. I'm 5'11" and in sleeping bag mode I can make a headwrap out of what's left. I've used it as an overbag (awesome), top quilt, bag for temps in the 50s. for glassing I sit cross legged and tuck everything under it so I'm toasty warm. I also use it as an overcoat (which this mode may be replaced by my new Kryptek anorak...maybe)

I love my woobie and have a hard time leaving it at home. I have used it as a quilt down into the low 40s and it's doable and with some clothes you'll get some sleep. Kifaru has said that they are working on a zippered version. It will probably be a little heavier, but is plenty big as it's tight but even I can fit in it (6'5" 270). Pretty sure that a hood hasn't been considered as an addition so if that's a major selling point for you then know it won't be available, but for me that's an easy fix with a beenie (you can get down ones if necessary).

OP
A
Thanks guys. The hood isn't really an issue for me either as I agree; I'll just wear a beenie and a wool buff or something; but I do kind of like the overcoat idea. How often I'll use it? IDK, but interested in its application.

This past year I have been really focused on cutting weight from my pack so right off the bat the woobie wins there. Like I said it's going to be primarily used for glassing - more so during rifle season and it will live in my day pack for emergencies/bivy.

I’ve had both and kept the Woobie. Never seemed to wear the Serape in poncho mode and when I used it like a bag I didn’t care for the head hole on the side. Woobie seems warmer to me and I think it’s a little more “heavy duty” feeling. Changing from Serape mode to bag mode was more of an nuisance than just wrapping myself up in the Woobie and moving on. Serape is a great concept but just not useful for me and my needs. YMMV. Came to the conclusion I just liked the Woobie better and sold the Serape.

mcseal2

WKR
I have never had the Woobie but I have 2 of the Serapes. Wife started stealing my first one for whitetail hunting. It's darn nice to carry in the bag during the walk to whatever place we will sit and watch rifle hunting, then slip it on to sit. It's my primary sleeping bag on summer fishing trips and August scouting trips. I am 5'11 and it's plenty long in either mode. I've used it as a sleeping bag in damp cool weather on a Canada fishing trip with an unexpected cold snap. Temps dropped into the upper 30's (with my jacket zipped over the footbox and all the other layers I had on) and I slept comfortable but that was darn sure the lower limit. I used it over my 20 degree Kifaru slickbag when base camping in 0 degrees this October and it was great. I had on my heavy warm Thorlo wool socks, fleece sweat pants, and a Core 4 Mid-Mountain Hoody and zipped the Slickbag up to my armpits, used the Serape over the top of it all to avoid having to do the full mummy bag mode with the hood. It worked great. I find it a useful piece of gear for some trips.

Kifaru made one with a hole and without a hood called the Woobie Express, but it wasn't made with the newer Apex insulation, but the older Combat insulation. It was significantly smaller (48X70 for the woobie express vs 64X93 for the woobie), but also significantly lighter.

Woobie & Doobie Express

I have the doobie express and love it. Of course I bought it to wear over body armor as well as to take hunting. Still considering a Kifaru Wookiee for the extra size