Kimber rifles

Is Kimber the better option for lighter rifles. They have CRF, seem to be lighter than most CRF. Accuracy issues seem to have been solved, if there were any. Seems that people are just not that good at shooting light weight rifles. Thanks.

gtriple

WKR
Better than what? Better than a Fieldcraft or a NULA? No. Better than a Christensen? Possibly. Better than a Weatherby Backcountry? No. Cheaper than all of the above? Probably.

Gone4Days

WKR
I love my Kimber. Shoots lights out when you find a load it likes. She’s picky with ammo, but find one it likes and it’ll shoot like this:F0230D33-3478-4C89-AED5-6B6458E107CC.jpeg
60588F29-1213-40C3-A868-C745E1107F63.jpeg

Chuckybmd

WKR
Is Kimber the better option for lighter rifles. They have CRF, seem to be lighter than most CRF. Accuracy issues seem to have been solved, if there were any. Seems that people are just not that good at shooting light weight rifles. Thanks.
I like the simplicity of the Kimber design. They feel like they are well made. What do you like about yours? There are so many options these days for quality accurate rifles, I find myself struggling with decision paralysis.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
Kimber's are great rifles although I prefer a stainless Tikka. Lightweight mountain rifles (7 lbs. or less) aren't at fault with accuracy issues, it's the shooter holding the rifle. That being said, lighter rifles just don't absorb the kinesics of us as much as a heavier rifle does in hunting situations.

gtriple

WKR
Lightweight mountain rifles aren't at fault with accuracy issues, it's the shooter holding the rifle.
That's not entirely true. Lightweight mountain rifles, especially those with pencil barrels, can be more difficult to find an accurate and/or precise load. For people that don't handload, that can be an even bigger issue because you don't always get consistent loads from box to box of the same ammo.

Once you find a load that works though, it is true that they can be plenty accurate and precise enough for any hunting needs.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
That's not entirely true. Lightweight mountain rifles, especially those with pencil barrels, can be more difficult to find an accurate and/or precise load. For people that don't handload, that can be an even bigger issue because you don't always get consistent loads from box to box of the same ammo.

Once you find a load that works though, it is true that they can be plenty accurate and precise enough for any hunting needs.
True and this theory applies to all rifles in regards to which load one rifle shoots accurately. I'm the pencil thin barrel guy, so I have to defend lightweight rifles, lol.

OP
F
Better than what? Better than a Fieldcraft or a NULA? No. Better than a Christensen? Possibly. Better than a Weatherby Backcountry? No. Cheaper than all of the above? Probably.
I would agree that they are probably not better than a Fieldcraft or NULA. But I think those two are harder to find available on the used market. Neither are in production at this time. A NULA style may be available at some time from Wilson Combat, but I have seen some crazy speculation on prices. Although, new Kimbers are getting up there in MSRP. I have seen new about half or less than MSRP on GunBroker.
I like the simplicity of the Kimber design. They feel like they are well made. What do you like about yours? There are so many options these days for quality accurate rifles, I find myself struggling with decision paralysis.
I do not own one. I currently have a Win M70 Featherweight 30-06. Which is fine for the midwest hunting I do now and would probably be for the majority or Western hunting I plan to do. But the extra weight savings would be nice for more mountain and Alaska hunting. If I was able to shoot it well. I find myself in the same situation of having too many options or wanting to really combine things for a custom rifle.

For the pencil thin barrels. I think that bedding the barrel to the end of the fore end would make a difference in accuracy. I don't think Forbes would have done it just to do it.

smithmtva

FNG
I agree the light weight rifles are harder to shoot and loads take longer to develop trying not to heat up the barrel. I have had good luck from a mountain ascent 300 wm.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's a great option. I've used a 300 wsm for years. It's a shooter. The barrel does heat easily, so groups can open up. It can also be finicky with ammo. This is a pre MOA guarantee rifle though. I did switch to a Christensen Arms FFT in 300 wsm and am happier with it. I like the short, threaded, carbon barrel. I plan to use a suppressor when I get approved later this year. I grew up backpack hunting with a Win M70 Featherweight 30-06. I still have it. It worked well. I don't think you'd be under gunned using it out west or in Alaska coming from the Midwest even lugging it up mountains which is what I did. I think your main weight savings in a new rifle would be the action weight if you switched to a 700 based action. What I find for myself, is I have an acceptable rifle weight I'm willing to hunt with given the capability. So the weight tends to stay around 7.5 lbs but I get a suppressor with the FFT and nothing with the Kimber for the same weight. That being said, I would never talk anyone out of wanting to get a new rifle.

gtriple

WKR
I think it's a great option. I've used a 300 wsm for years. It's a shooter. The barrel does heat easily, so groups can open up. It can also be finicky with ammo. This is a pre MOA guarantee rifle though. I did switch to a Christensen Arms FFT in 300 wsm and am happier with it. I like the short, threaded, carbon barrel. I plan to use a suppressor when I get approved later this year. I grew up backpack hunting with a Win M70 Featherweight 30-06. I still have it. It worked well. I don't think you'd be under gunned using it out west or in Alaska coming from the Midwest even lugging it up mountains which is what I did. I think your main weight savings in a new rifle would be the action weight if you switched to a 700 based action. What I find for myself, is I have an acceptable rifle weight I'm willing to hunt with given the capability. So the weight tends to stay around 7.5 lbs but I get a suppressor with the FFT and nothing with the Kimber for the same weight. That being said, I would never talk anyone out of wanting to get a new rifle.
Agreed on rifles being too light. I had a Weatherby Backcountry Ti 1.0 that was 4.9lbs bare. Scoped and loaded was right at 6lbs. That thing was just too much pop to shoot a lot in a 6.5 WBY RPM, even with the muzzle brake.

Now I've got a 9.5lb suppressed 6.5PRC that is for my fiancée and I'm building a sub 8lb 7prc for myself.

Why arent they better than those rifles? If a Kimber shoots ragged holes than what makes those others better?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My 243 Kimber Hunter is stunningly easy to shoot accurately. Love the CRF.
Same, I’ve never found either of my kimbers to be hard to shoot well. With that in mind, the mountain ascent 300wm still comes in slightly over 8lbs so it’s not really “ultralight”. My Montana 308 has been cut back to 18” and with a silencer on it, it’s still under 6.5lbs. Both are great guns.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Why is CRF important?