Kimber rifles

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I appreciate your insight and won't ask you to prove it. (y)

So, what ultralight rifle would you tell the OP is "better" than a Kimber?

Better is relative, I haven’t said anything about quality in any of them.

OP
F
That’d be a platform delivering a killing bullet I could get behind.

Especially after a drop test.

If it was a 10 round group I’d believe it to be repeatable, mayb.

Three…not so much.
Since the discussion is about a hunting rifle and not a target rifle, there is no real point in worrying about 10 round groups.
I'm not sure how my liking the work that Form puts into his testing relevant to this conversation, but I'm not here to argue. If the OP wants to better clarify his question, I may chime in if I can add value. ✌️
There is not much to clarify. It was just a general question. For a lightweight mountain hunting rifle at normal shooting ranges what compares to it in the price range.
I admit to the same analysis paralysis when I bought my 300 win Model 700. Granted that was almost 20 years ago

i agonized over what rifle to buy and got totally wrapped around the crf wheel. After six months of agony and indecision, I came to the conclusion that if the M40 was good enough for decades of service to Army and Marine snipers it was good enough for me.

Paired it with a VX 3 and never looked back. Carted it around to South Africa and much of North America. I don’t know exactly how accurate the rifle is, but I do know the rifle is more accurate than I can shoot it
See that you were USMC, Army here. Like you said the M40 was good enough. Probably wasn't the best out there at the time that is was fielded. It passed the selection process and was able to be had at a price the Gov was willing to contract for. My experience is that all Mil gear is a compromise of durability, selection parameters and cost. It is never the absolute best unless you are working in units with unlimited funds and ability to acquire their own gear.
Why is CRF important?
Because it is what I like/want. Gives me a bit of a tingly feeling in my heavy sack that I may have a little more reliable in feeding and extraction of a round.
That's why I asked, "better than what"? Not here to argue when the OP hasn't even qualified his question. Who knows what he is actually looking for.
A question is a question. Why does it have to be qualified? Can't a topic just be brought up for discussion and to get varying opinions, w/o the slinging and bashing. But that would be completely against the norm these days.

If a pencil thin barrel in an ultralight rifle is expected to group under 1 MOA at 100m or further with a hunting load, someone please post it up with pictures and specs of the build.

If a pencil thin barrel in an ultralight rifle is expected to group under 1 MOA at 100m or further with a hunting load, someone please post it up with pictures and specs of the build.

You're going to see a lot of sub-MOA groups of 10+ shots posted in that thread with T3X Lite/Superlite rifles. But also a lot of 1.1-1.3 MOA groups, along with an occasional 2+MOA group, too.

Blandry

WKR
My Kimber 84M's stocks weren't fully floated and the actions properly torqued. These are things I typically check on cheap rifles not $1500. It was just pure QC issues, not the hardware itself.

Both of my Kimbers are now sub moa and with trigger tech triggers, great rifles.

Gen273

WKR
Kimber is a great rifle, and I have never had a bad one. They get a bad wrap on here, but that's not been my experience.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my 8400 Montana 300WSM for about 15 years, have killed many elk with it and it has given me no problem. Pretty nice rifle to carry in-hand, with the VX3i 2.5x8 it weighs right about 7.5#. Have had no accuracy issues with it either.