Kitchen renovation appliances

fwafwow

WKR
I’m hoping for some practical advice on home appliances for a kitchen renovation. I need a new fridge (panel ready, no ice or water), ice maker (with pump), stove top, oven(s) and microwave. Some of those can be combined (like stove + air fryer/microwaver), but others can’t (like stove top and oven).

Yes, most of the important decisions have been or will be made by Mrs fwafwow, but I’m trying to insert myself in some gear research components.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
A fellow hunter and appliance repair business owner told me Samsung and LG make up 80% of his work. Take that for what it is.
That’s what scares me. But what also scares me is that before RS I bought stuff based on incomplete info. I’m hoping to make sure to avoid those types of brands, due to repair problems or other issues, but also not overpay for something in trying to avoid those. Is a Wolf stove worth the extra? Is a Sub Zero worth the price if it’s the only fridge with panels that doesn’t have an ice maker/water dispenser (which always end up causing problems)? Or are those just brands that are good at marketing - like Leupold or Swaro (scopes)?

180ls1

WKR
That’s what scares me. But what also scares me is that before RS I bought stuff based on incomplete info. I’m hoping to make sure to avoid those types of brands, due to repair problems or other issues, but also not overpay for something in trying to avoid those. Is a Wolf stove worth the extra? Is a Sub Zero worth the price if it’s the only fridge with panels that doesn’t have an ice maker/water dispenser (which always end up causing problems)? Or are those just brands that are good at marketing - like Leupold or Swaro (scopes)?

I hear you. Were $20K into a remodel as we speak... errr more like $25K+ and I am missing stuff.

He did say Whirlpool who makes Kitchenaid Whirlpool and others is good to go so thats what we went with. By "we," I mean my wife has freedom amongst those brands. We did get a good deal on a scratch/dent (hardly noticeable) sale for our washer and dryer.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

The answer to all these questions is yes.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
High end kitchens are my bread and butter.

If Subzero/Wolf are in the budget, get them.

Better appliances, and actually serviceable.
Thank you. The “panel ready” (a term unknown to me before today) option doesn’t seem to have a no ice/no water dispenser option. Looks like it’s rabbit hole time!

TaperPin

WKR
In my career as a finish carpenter we didn’t trust the appliance installation guys from most suppliers so we’ve seen most of the middle and top end models.

Be careful with Wolf, Viking, Subzero and others in the top price ranges.

The Subzero’s we’ve installed the past 3 or 4 years were built like tanks, can be serviced without removing them, but the insides made us a little puzzled in how they were laid out. Counter depth fridges don’t hold much. If the fridge and freezer are separate units that are joined, make sure to use a good installer that can make sure the cabinet opening is sized correctly before the cabinet guys leave.

We almost stopped going by the rough openings given in the installation instructions (best to have appliances on site when installing cabinets).

Viking and Wolf (any higher end appliance) will have gas/electric/water locations spelled out in the installation instructions and they can be different from what most electricians and plumbers use when roughing in. I seem to have faught mostly with plumbers on the gas line locations, but electricians will surface mount a big 4x4 box that has to be recessed in a certain location.

Gas cook tops are the biggest pain, because it’s easiest to install it over a blanked out top drawer, rather than carefully routing the gas line with a few elbows to allow a full depth top drawer. Cabinet sales people will try to sell you on a blanked drawer, lazy installers will try to sell you on a blank drawer, plumbers will act stupid and often refuse to add a few elbows to the regulator to allow the gas line to fit tight to the wall. It’s rare that a top drawer can’t be used and after it’s installed is too late to fix it cheaply.

There’s an appliance repair guy on YouTube that’s really good about which models to avoid.

Solid basic cooktop and convection double oven from kitchen aid is my preference. These are a couple years old, but were still being sold not long ago. Expect $2500 for the 5 burner with mega burner in the middle, and $3500 for the double oven with convection in the top. Maybe $500 more each with inflation.

AA4CC33A-95C4-40E6-8BE3-BE31C84581CD.jpeg29A18223-7C5D-448E-B863-9085536385AB.jpeg

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I second Subzero/Wolf if you can. It can come with no water dispenser but includes ice. Why no ice? Miele might be one to look at.
I’ve had problems with the thru the door water and ice dispensers in a few fridges, so I was thinking of avoiding both. I can replace the ice with a separate ice maker. Maybe I’m being too reactive, as maybe the problem is the thru the door option?

I am checking out Miele. Thanks!

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Copy. I don't think I understood. Subzero has no ice dispenser option as well. It has an ice maker, but it's a drawer. I think Miele's is the same/similar. FYI. I'm not a contractor. My experience is as a homeowner so my sample size is smaller. Good luck!

Dos XX

WKR
Make sure the ice maker is in the freezer. There are a lot of units with the ice maker in the refrigerator door. Stupid idea. It isn't freezing in the refrigerator.

Our unit has a freezer on bottom and the ice maker is in the freezer. It doesn't dispense ice. You have to open the door, oh the horror, and get the ice yourself.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
What is “panel ready?”
You can have the cabinets in the kitchen match the fridge. The cabinet maker can make the panel to match the “panel ready” fridge. I’m still working out whether I/we care about that.