Knee Pads for Construction

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I use Arc'teryx on the job if I am kneeling for long periods of time and think they work great. They are certainly durable and don't leave marks on finished surfaces. There are probably better and cheaper options out there, I just use these because I had them collecting dust.
Flooring installers would prob know what the best options out there are.

Agross

WKR
These are similar to the ones I have. I can’t stand two straps behind my knee so I just cut one off on each knee pad

Attachments

• F385427D-4835-4F21-8E0F-AE131B6E4406.png
    F385427D-4835-4F21-8E0F-AE131B6E4406.png
    698.4 KB · Views: 9
OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I appreciate the insight guys.

The past couple days [when the knee broke and wore out] I was casing doors and installing floor base in a basement remodel. So lots of up/down and moving around.

I'll check out some of the suggestions - but Id rather not buy more work jeans that have knee pockets as Ive found 'Ridgecut Toughwear' jeans are damn near indestructible.

Superdoo

WKR
I have always hated running knee pads because the straps pinch and pull my leg hair.
Many years ago I found out that you could remove the top strap and as long as your not walking miles, the knee pads stay in place just fine.
There’s also the added benefit of when you stand up the pads come away from your knees and you get a refreshing flow of air.

Fatcamp

WKR
Yup, I only wear the bottom strap when working in Barwalt knee pads.

They have a black pair too, gonna order some this morning.

I haven't set tile for 5 years but keep those Barwalts around and use them religiously when working on the home and vehicles. They did a great job of protecting my knees for many years. Go read the reviews on them, many professionals agree.

*zap*

WKR
Yes, multicam and acu combat pants older gentlemen than current. On the pds try pulling them taught and wrap the tils inside the strap.
The pads Dust Rider suggested look good, I might try those.

*zap*

WKR
Fatcamp, pull the strap tight then take the tail thru over the tight strap once then again, go thru the loop you just made and pull tight. Hope I explained that well enough. Getting the straps to stay tight is the key. Those straps are thin enough to do that with.

Fatcamp

WKR
Yes, multicam and acu combat pants older gentlemen than current. On the pds try pulling them taught and wrap the tils inside the strap.
The pads Dust Rider suggested look good, I might try those.

Those look like they might work. Not afraid to spend money😁.

My biggest thing going into next season is protection from cactus. By my last stalk of the year I was so full of that stuff, hands, feet, and knees I was ready to throw my bow away. LOL.

I have no idea if Barwalt will protect from prickly pear, the Arc'teryx did ok, until they loosened up and rolled.

But they are a good color and lightweight so I will give them another try.

Fatcamp

WKR
Fatcamp, pull the strap tight then take the tail thru over the tight strap once then again, go thru the loop you just made and pull tight. Hope I explained that well enough. Getting the straps to stay tight is the key. Those straps are thin enough to do that with.

Will do. Honestly, when they were tight they did a pretty good job. Appreciate the advice.

IdahoElk

WKR
I'm using a light weight set of shin guards from riding my trail bike, they don't slide down my leg, since the straps go around my calfs the area behind my knee that usually sweats due to a tight strap stays dry and they protect more area of my leg.

Seeknelk

WKR
Check this out! https://a.co/d/64kkpDo
I wear knee pads all the time as a new work plumber. Haven't found ANYTHING that beats these.
Tip, tighten the lower strap pretty good, loosen the top strap so it's just snug.
They stay in place far better than anything else I've tried. I will say some of the giant pro knee set ups that are specific for flooring seem awesome also but I couldn't use them in rocky crawl spaces etc.
The trouble with a pad you kneel on is when an errant screw or pebble finds it's way on top of it, not a neat surprise! Can really mess up the knee just like that.
I get these from our local plumbing supplier but that link should work.

c670809

FNG
Check this out! https://a.co/d/64kkpDo
I wear knee pads all the time as a new work plumber. Haven't found ANYTHING that beats these.
Tip, tighten the lower strap pretty good, loosen the top strap so it's just snug.
They stay in place far better than anything else I've tried. I will say some of the giant pro knee set ups that are specific for flooring seem awesome also but I couldn't use them in rocky crawl spaces etc.
The trouble with a pad you kneel on is when an errant screw or pebble finds it's way on top of it, not a neat surprise! Can really mess up the knee just like that.
I get these from our local plumbing supplier but that link should work.
I'm a home inspector and use the same ones. They stay put when crawling under a home. The pest inspectors I know use the same ones.

richyrich408

Lil-Rokslider

+1 on these…..hidden gems once you try them there is no going back to the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro