Kodiak 10x14 Flex-Bow VX feedback

MT257

WKR
Looking at this tent model. What are everyone’s thoughts? Pros and cons. How well does it do in rain and wind? How easy it it for one person to set up? I’m guessing it has an attached floor and liner is optional? Any insight is appreciated!

eamyrick

WKR
Just got the 10x14 basic after sleeping a week in CO 2nd rifle in a 10x10. Super easy set up and take down. Maybe 5-10 min. We had snow, sleet, wind etc and the tent was solid. With a Mr. Buddy we were solid down to -9. The 10x14 is massive. 3 guys in cots or 2 brown men in cots and 3 kids.

I have been using original 10x14 tent for about 7 years and has held up very well. Was in 50 mph gusts this antelope season and it stay upright (was worried though lol) I set it up by myself in about 10 minutes if it isn’t to rocky to drive in the stakes. It’s perfect for my family when we use the disco bunk bed cots. The new triangle windows are a good idea for warm weather camping.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
Just got the 10x14 basic after sleeping a week in CO 2nd rifle in a 10x10. Super easy set up and take down. Maybe 5-10 min. We had snow, sleet, wind etc and the tent was solid. With a Mr. Buddy we were solid down to -9. The 10x14 is massive. 3 guys in cots or 2 brown men in cots and 3 kids.
How was condensation with buddy heater in it?

I have the deluxe 10x14 (not vx and not basic). Cuts wind better than a wall tent imo. I went back and forth between this and a Davis wall for about a year and because I do a bunch of solo I went w/ kodiak. The lengthiest part of set up is driving in stakes. Once that’s done it’s less than 2mins. It’s heavy’ish but manageable.

If there’s a con if you ask me it’s the floor shows wear pretty easy in anything other than soft black dirt but an extra footprint (on my list of things to order before next use) should mitigate thay

I like mine. Works great for 2-3 men or a couple adults and kids using the bunk cots. I almost got burned out using a buddy heater. It got warm and had to shut it off and crack some windows. Eventually will upgrade to a 14 x 16 Davis wall tent when I need more room with more people and growing kids. My ideal situation would be just to have a nice camper trailer but that’s not in the cards right now.

tdhanses

WKR
My buddy has had the 10x14, we also use a buddy heater in it, for a few years and it works great for 3 people, I just picked up a 12x12 cabin model from them and am looking forward to the added stove option for heating.

Grumman

WKR
I love everything about them but have had a couple peg canvas loops stitching pull out on mine. The way it’s designed there is not a good way to fix. For that matter I like Springbar’s peg design better. Instead of a sewn tab it’s a sewn in rope with metal hooks. Springbars are more $$$ though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

MT257

WKR
So is $779 with ground tarp a good price? I know it’s only $100 less than normal, but do they ever go on sale for less?

eamyrick

WKR
Just check competitive edge over ordering from Kodiak. I think the tarp upgrade is $20. I don’t really camp where it’s hot in the summer so the basic made the most sense. With windows it vents fine under 70 degrees.

Freakin love mine. Summer camping in Texas is fine with the vents. I plant to add a stove jack and wood stove for late season. I’ll see if I can post my time laps video of me setting mine up by myself this fall on an Idaho solo bear hunt. Takes about 10 minutes by myself to set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The only negative to any of the 10x14 Kodiak Canvas tents is their weight. Easy setup, great venting in any season and comfortable summer or winter.

That and it is hard to hang a lantern above in the center.

wyogoat

WKR
About 9 years with mine and hundreds of nights spent in it. I’ve had it in about every condition except super heavy snow.
Zero condensation and my experience with the mister buddy is the same as above. Makes it super comfy.
I can set mine up alone in less than 10 mins. It’s a tad bulky and a little heavy but worth it for sure if you’re going to be living out of it for a few days at a time.
For the money and features they are tough to beat. The tarp underneath is a good idea too.

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll echo everything already said. Great tents, 10 minute set up, and do well in any weather. I’ll also add the stakes they come with are great, but I picked up lag screws instead and will never go back.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
Just check competitive edge over ordering from Kodiak. I think the tarp upgrade is $20. I don’t really camp where it’s hot in the summer so the basic made the most sense. With windows it vents fine under 70 degrees.
What’s competitive edge?

Gone4Days

WKR
Best tent i’ve ever owned. +1 for 8” lag screws with washers instead of stakes. I use 1/2” head 8” Spax bolts. I drive them in with a cordless impact driver.