Kodiak flex bow 10x14 vs Davis wall tent 10x12.

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
So I am looking for a 4 season tent have it narrowed down to these two. As cold as I hunt would be CO 3rd season deer with night temps ranging from 0 to 30. Last year I used a 12x12 alaknak with a wood stove and it didn'tseem to hold in the heat well. I want something to hold the heat in better if the temps drop that low again. I was thinking the Davis but sometimes I hunt solo and thought it would be a hassle to bring the wood stove and setting up the tent. Then I thought run the Kodiak with a big buddy heater and eliminate the hassle of the wood stove and a wall tent. Not sure if I would freeze in the Kodiak. If the buddy heater wasn't enough in the Kodiak figured I could eventually do the stove pipe mod that many have done. Sorry for the long post any insight or other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

amassi

WKR
I've ran both kodiaks I have down to zero degrees with a little buddy heater and did just fine.
10x14 with vestibule
10x10 flex
Both seem to be the same thickness of canvas

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ddog

WKR
Not sure about 0, but this past May was in the low 30s at trout/turkey camp in northern MI. Used a regular Buddy heater and a good pad/cot with a good bag and stayed comfy in my 10X10 Kodiak.

I always put a tarp over the top of my wall tent. It made a huge difference in how warm it stayed inside with the stove going.

I have been in both well below zero. A tarp over the top but off the top of the walls makes a big difference. But get yourself a nuway propane heater instead of a buddy heater. For solo hunting the Kodiak will be so much easier to both set up and take down, pack up...

OP
Smokey12

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
Now are the nu way heaters that much safer because they burn off the carbon monoxide from the exhaust pipe? I have tried to find safety info on them but haven't been successful.

Last edited:

fishslap

WKR
I use a 10x12 Davis tent solo. I’ve been in it down to low teens during 1st rifle elk in Colorado at 9.5k. I run the Davis wood stove while I’m awake then load it up and close down the air intake and the damper when I go to bed (keep the damper open a bit). Then, I turn on the big buddy heater AND built in fan. I run the heater off a 20lb propane cylinder that I keep outside the tent. Run it at whatever level needed to take the chill off. If you don’t want to use a heater, you will need to stoke the fire once or twice during the night if you want heat.

I do have the Davis supplied white tarp over the top of the tent. I also leave some ventilation open by unzipping a corner of the window. You still need a good sleep system. I use a Teton xl cot with their thick pad/matress, a large flannel lined canvas bag from cabelas, and I cover it with a big fuzzy blanket, quilt, and sometimes a poncho liner type blanket if it’s really cold. Yea, I like to be cozy. I sleep awesome in this setup. There’s crap everywhere in the pic below since I’m getting ready to head home (with a cow).

It’s not a lot of work for me but it is a small amount of effort for the comfort, and the tent/stove can be heavy to load/unload. I have each in a plastic tote. I’m more than happy to discuss over the phone my experience with this setup.

For good weather, I use my 4 person seek outside tipi and wood stove with 0 degree feathered friends bag.
890668FC-828D-4E2F-8A3B-DD33CADB51A2.jpegD0E8EA9A-B60F-4D27-909E-2B946DB37FFB.jpeg

It takes me 20 minutes to erect this 10X14 solo including annex. Bought a second one with the zippered screens on the sides (VX model) for warmer weather. The first time you need to put it up alone in the weather you'll appreciate the Flex Bow's design.

IMG_2644.JPG

Last edited:
No experience with the Kodiak but I've spent plenty of nights in my Davis. Very well made tent and very responsive if you ever need anything. A had a regular tarp from Harbor Freight on it for the first 3 years until I bought the fly and awning this year. I think it did a good job of holding in the heat and protecting the tent from stray embers. The snow slides off easy too. mine is a 12x14 and I can set mine up in under an hour by myself. That's doing it properly with all the stakes, etc.

Now are the nu way heaters that much safer because they burn off the carbon monoxide from the exhaust pipe? I have tried to find safety info on them but haven't been successful.

They have an intake and exhaust, i.e, just like a wood burning stove (3") making them safe. The 2200 is way more efficient than a buddy heater.

OP
Smokey12

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks I think I'm sold on the kodiak. Any suggestions on what size nuway stove is sufficient?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
With the traditional pole setup that fishslap has shown, these Davis tents go up in a hurry even solo. I can have my 14x16 standing in 5-7 minutes, then the rest of the time is spent hammering stakes and setting the sidewalls.

I sold my wood stove because I rarely use it anymore......mostly just hunt the archery season and summer camping. For later Oct and Nov hunts I'd want the wood stove, but I'd also take a two burner tank top heater to warm the tent up every morning before heading out. I'd want the wood stove for all that downtime between dark and bed time that you get with the later hunts.

That is a nice setup. Which model Kodiak tent and what kind of heater is that?

10X14 Flex Bow with Nu-Way 3500 propane stove. I recently bought it's twin (a VX model) with the side windows for warm weather. These tents are magnificent. Both have the annex which makes a great space for making coffee/breakfast and blocking wind from blowing debris into the tent. I run a single tarp under the tent and annex so I can remove wet muddy gear & clothing under protection from rain without tracking a mess into the tent. (See annex in post 9 above)

Last edited:

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
10X14 Flex Bow with Nu-Way 3500 propane stove. I recently bought it's twin (a VX model) with the side windows for warm weather. These tents are magnificent. Both have the annex which makes a great space for making coffee/breakfast and blocking wind from blowing debris into the tent. I run a single tarp under the tent and annex so I can remove wet muddy gear & clothing under protection from rain without tracking a mess into the tent. (See annex in post 9 above)

I was thinking about buying an Oztent RV5 and camco wave 8 heater but now I am wondering if what you have is an even better option. What is your opinion of the camco catalytic heater wave 8 (Link here) and the Oztent RV5 (link here) compared to your setup for cold weather truck hunting where heavy snowload is possible?

As long as you can crank up the temp to keep the snow from accumulating, no worries. I prefer to run a hose from my propane tank (outside) to my stove (inside) and haven't embraced the catalytic heaters yet.

Love my Kodiak... also doesn't take up much space in the bed of the truck. Not sure how it stacks up against a Davis, but it packs nicely in the bed of my pickup.

Last fall we hit Idaho OTC with big plans to hike back into the hinterlands. That whopper winter storm rolled in and temps dropped into the negative territory. Would've seriously been in some big trouble if we didn't have a fallback. Wound up camping at the trailhead and hiking in, but was much more comfortable with the Buddy Heater!

I've had the Kodiak for maybe 6 years and it's paid for itself a few times over.

IMG_1448.JPEG

OP
Smokey12

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again to everyone. I ordered a kodiak 10x14 when they went back in stock should get it any day.