Kryptek Altitude Arma-Tech Wool 1/2 zip

Soolong

FNG
Just in today. Thought I would start a quick review. I ordered an XL and it fits a little big. It is kind of boxy cut like a First Lite Halstead fleece. For reference I am 6 FT 3 and 220 lbs 46-47 in chest. In comparison it fits larger than the Cronos Fleece in the same size and not as athletically cut. Kind of wish I went a large especially since it is a base layer but we will see. Arm length is plenty long. The material is like the Kryptek Hyperion shirt but a little thicker. The sleeve pocket is adequate i can fit three fingers in it. It has no thumb loops and the 1/2 zip is a little shorter than half. The altitude pattern looks slightly darker than the Tora pants.I was only able to try it on for a few minutes. The Tag states the material is 91% poly and 9% wool interlock fabric. It feels like it will breathe well. I plan to go for a run in it tonight to see how it feels. I am then going to soak it and see how long it takes to dry. It was $89.99.

OP
S

Soolong

FNG
The Arma Tech wool preformed really well. I wore it while running for a few miles. It was 70 degrees and sunny. I did not feel overheated and the shirt did breathe great. There shirt did not feel wet it pretty much dried as I ran. It did not stink after the run but I didn't expect it to. After the run I washed it in a bucket of cold water and hung it out to dry. The temperature held right around 70. The shirt is pretty much dry except for the lower extremeties now after 2 hours in the evening with no wind. For reference the First Lite Aerowool tends to dry faster. The Arma tech feels like it might be a little warmer but it's thicker. I think it's a pretty good shirt but as with all of this technical clothing I think it is overpriced but as expensive as the Altitude line is this is one of the least expensive pieces. If any body has any other questions please ask.

Attachments

• IMG_20190514_183453.jpg
    IMG_20190514_183453.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20190514_184035.jpg
    IMG_20190514_184035.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20190514_182905.jpg
    IMG_20190514_182905.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20190514_175342.jpg
    IMG_20190514_175342.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 80
OP
S

Soolong

FNG
I do not own the Tora 1/4 zip but from what I have read on reviews I do believe the fit is similar if that helps.

KHNC

WKR
i have Tora 1/4 zip along with pants and jacket. All of them fit big. As expensive as the altitude line is , it should be more true to size. The 34 pants have a good 3 inches extra around the waist. I am normally a 33 or medium in just about everything i wear. Also, the belt loops on the Tora pants are too far apart in the front. They are constantly wadding up under the belt. This could be due to the sizing being wrong though.

Last edited:
OP
S

Soolong

FNG
I have found the same in sizing for the Tora pants but all the kryptek pants fit a little big so luckily when I ordered them I went a size down and they fit perfect. The bora jacket in XL is a perfect fit for me and I can still wear the Gahr jacket under it without smasing the down so it still insulates well. My problem with the shirts is they fit great up top and sleeve length but just don't tapper at the bottom for an athletic fit. The kryptek Cronos fleece on the other hand is s perfect fit in an XL for me. Hmmmm go figure....... Lol

OP
S

Soolong

FNG
Just out of curiosity I was wondering how you like the Tora 1/4 zip? I never ordered one because of the description and a negative review about drying time / breath-ability. If you could compare it to another shirt from Sitka, First Lite or the regular Kryptek hunting shirts that would be appreciated. I see that there are still a few Tora shirts still out there I could purchase but according to the 2019 Kryptek fall catalog the shirt will be replaced with the Arma line and a new light weight Tora hoody made with the same material as the Tora pants. If the Tora 1/4 zip is great I would like to pick one up before they are gone. If not I will pass

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just out of curiosity I was wondering how you like the Tora 1/4 zip? I never ordered one because of the description and a negative review about drying time / breath-ability. If you could compare it to another shirt from Sitka, First Lite or the regular Kryptek hunting shirts that would be appreciated. I see that there are still a few Tora shirts still out there I could purchase but according to the 2019 Kryptek fall catalog the shirt will be replaced with the Arma line and a new light weight Tora hoody made with the same material as the Tora pants. If the Tora 1/4 zip is great I would like to pick one up before they are gone. If not I will pass
The Tora 1/4 zip falls in between the lightweight and midweight hoody from Sitka. It's not super light, but it's not as hot as the midweight either. I sweat a lot when I hike and I have no issue with it. I know which review you read, and that guy is an idiot and expected the wrong things from that top. It's extremely comfortable and very quiet. I didn't think any of the new gear was gonna be available until mid June? I'm waiting on a couple of the new pieces. I have the Tora pants, shirt, and hat. The DWR on their pants is like magic lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
S

Soolong

FNG
I didn't think the new gear was going to be in until June as well. I just happen to jump on to Linton outdoors sight and bam there was the arma wool. They only had one of each size and they were gone in a couple days. I try to make a practice if never paying full retail but It was under a hundred so I grabbed one. I am patiently waiting for the full zip arma fleece hoody, beanie and neck gaiter. Thanks for the info on the quarter zip. I passed on that shirt a couple times at really good prices. If I see a good deal I might just snag one. The dwr on the bora is " like magic" also and makes me want the takur.... Lol

Cat99899

FNG
Interested in how the Arma line is shaping up in comparison to the 1/4 Tora shirt. I found the Tora to be warm when moving around (60 degree mountain hunting) and hope they have a lightweight shirt to go along with the heavier items. To echo the sentiments of the other posters, I have a large Tora (I'm 5'11", 195) and find it to be a bit loose.

OP
S

Soolong

FNG
I can't compare the Tora 1/4 zip because I do not have one. I can tell you that the Armatech 1/2 zip breathes very well and is a loser fit than a Sitka or first lite base layer in XL. I am 6ft 3in and 220lbs. I also have the Arma full zip hoody which I really like but the temperature is pretty warm for testing this piece at this time. I can tell you that the full zip hoody fits just a little bit large as well in an XL and is a much heavier warmer piece than the Arma tech half zip. Camofire has a kryptek sale today so I purchased the Tora 1/4 zip. When it shows up I will let you know how the Arma tech 1/2 zip and the Tora 1/4 zip compare in hot weather. It will be a few days before it gets here to MN from Utah.

OP
S

Soolong

FNG
I received the Tora 1/4 zip this morning. First impression is wow this might be the most comfortable shirt material I have ever put on my body. When comparing the Arma-Tech 1/2 zip and the Tora 1/4 zip...... The Tora in XL fits a tiny bit smaller in the body than the Arma ( which is a good thing ). The sleeves fit the same on both which are a more loose fit than a First Lite merino or a sitka base layer. The Tora is much stretchier than the Arma. The Arma is a tiny bit itchy compared to the ultra soft Tora ( because of the merino wool backer on this material ) but no more itchy than the Hoplite II Merino. The Arma is lighter weight and feels like it breathes better than the Tora. The Altitude camouflage is much brighter and more defined on the Tora. The pocket on the sleeve is huge on the Tora, so large that I can fit my smart phone in it which is strange especially since I thought the pocket on the Arma was good sized fitting a tennis ball in that pocket. I like them both for different reasons and I will be keeping both of theses shirts. In my opinion The Arma will be better in warmer weather and it feels like it would dry much faster. I will do some testing in the 90 degree heat this weekend. It will be interesting to see the warmth difference when hunting season rolls around and the temperature drops. Hope this helps anybody interested.