KUIU Pack Thoughts?

iHunt3

FNG
I received a gift card from Kuiu and have been in the market for a new pack. I had pretty much decided on an Exo K4 setup, but now that I have this gift card I’m curious about the Kuiu setups. Anyone have any thoughts or feedback on their packs?

I like mine, got it on discount/sale some years back and have a few different bags for different use cases.

My only gripes are the squeaks that happen if you're not careful routing straps.

If my choices were "free" vs. shelling out for the EXO, I'd take the KUIU pack for sure.

bwidrick

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Kuiu pack. Tried an EXO K3, just couldn't get it to fit comfortably. It's really comes down to personal fit. Try both with weight in them and pick the most comfortable.

mb6355

Lil-Rokslider
I just did about 50 miles with mine hunting caribou and at least half of that was packing meat back to camp or back to the truck with probably around 85lbs max. It worked great. I have used Kifaru and MR packs with about the same loads and I would say it is better than the MR and performs as well as the Kifaru.

Where I think it is better or just more comfortable than almost any of them is below 60lbs or used as a day pack. I have not used an EXO yet though. May pick one up early next year to try.

Portland

FNG
Love my Kuiu pack. Tried an EXO K3, just couldn't get it to fit comfortably. It's really comes down to personal fit. Try both with weight in them and pick the most comfortable.
X2. I love my Kuiu pack as well. Their products just fit my body so well.

you could also get a day pack, i have a kuiu divide 3000 and i really like it and carries a decent amount of gear comfortably

TFrank

WKR
Stuck with Kuiu (little regret) for the foreseeable future. They work great. Was really tempted recently with exo. Looked like their waist belt might be a better fit for me.

Try them out if you can. Both are quality.

I've never worn an Exo or Kifaru so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but I have an old Kuiu pack I bought used and a new rig also. I like them both just fine and used them to pack in game carts and lock on stands and haul out deer and elk with fairly heavy loads, worn them full days hunting and such. The one does squeak sometimes if the load isn't even which is annoyingly comical if somebody else hears it.

ChrisAU

WKR
Packed out a few elk, Antelope, and white tails with my Kuiu Pro with an old Ultra 4000 bag and I have nothing bad to say about them other than they squeak. I’ve also used Kifaru on an elk and a mule deer, but now I have an Exo K4 and I love it dearly. Hope to get it bloody in a couple weeks. The Exo is made in the USA and is overall better than the Kuiu, in just about every way. But, I wouldn’t hesitate to use my Kuiu, I keep it as a backup and loaner, and I wouldn’t be upset if I had to press it into service. It’s also stupid light which is nice.

I have a KUIU Pro LT, Exo K4, and have had a Kifaru Duolex Lite, Mystery Ranch Pop Up, Metcalf, and Exo K2 with K3 belt and have tried a Stone Glacier.

There is a reason why the K4 and Kuiu are still in my gear room. They were the two best for me. I think the K4 gets the slightest edge over KUIU, but it doesn’t even show up until you’re at 60#. Given that KUIU goes on sale for 25% off pretty often, if I was in your shoes, I’d try the KUIU.

Everyone's build and fit will be different. Both have nice packs that ORGANIZE gear. Where Kuiu fails is their belt size option. If you are a smaller/medium sized individual. You may be good. They are NOT ment for anyone over a 38" waist. Exo is definitely focused on offering EVERYONE an option. But again.... With all these packs. It will be about fit and comfort.

I’ve been running the Kuiu pro LT for awhile know and have loved it for fit and how light it is. My only complaint is I can never seem to get the lid on tight and in my opinion it’s a little too big and floppy for lack of a better term. Other then that the pack has been great and carries weight and meat with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Kuiu with 3 different bags. I really like the flexibility of msg size.
Packed out 1 elk and 2 mule deer in the past few years. No issues or complaints.
But like others have said, we are all different and each pack fits differently. I’d try them out if I could or use my gift card for some merino wool stuff from Kuiu.

I have not used an Exo per se in the field, my friend had one for a couple seasons then switched to Kifaru. I have the Kuiu in a 6000, 3000, and 1800 size and I have a Kifaru with a Bedlam and a Fulcrum bag. I used the Kuiu for 5 or 6 years, packed a lot of critters out with it, have had the Kifaru Fulcrum for about 4 years, packed a lot of critters out with it also. I like the Kuiu for scouting and day hikes because it is light!

Personally If I only had to have 1 pack it would be the Kifaru Fulcrum. It tends to carry everything a little more comfortably and is built to a higher quality in my opinion.

As everyone has said a pack is unique to you, you have to try it to decide for yourself if the pockets, layout, weight, adjustability etc will work for what you want. (Utah Sportsmans Expo is really good for this reason.)

Tahoe1305

WKR
Have a kuiu with pro suspension and 1850, 4000, 7000 bags. Hauled meat and 100+ loads on 4-5 occasions. I like the bag. Noise is typically user error. A bit of learning there to place the straps right as mentioned above but typically not an issue.

My buddy has a K3 and now a K4. He definitely looked a tad more comfy than me packing out this last week. But I will say his zippers were soooo loud. It’s a burlier pack for sure. Heavier too. Nearly twice as expensive.

If money was no object and I had reason to believe the exo would be more comfy hauling, I’d buy one. But sticking with my kuiu I think it works great for my needs.

Fact is hauling 100+ pounds IMO sucks no matter what. Pack makes it more bare able, but to think one makes it easier than another in these highest end packs I think is a bit silly.

Last edited:

Aggie007

FNG
I have the KUIU Pro and mainly use the 3600 bag, averaging around 25-35lbs of gear most trips. My body is small framed, 5'9" and 130lbs and the KUIU has been a great value for me. It is easily adjustable and one of the only packs that doesn't cause lower back pain due to a bad disk I have.

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Kuiu Icon Pro and love it. One of the few pieces of gear I have that I don’t even look at other options or think about replacing/upgrading. A pretty common criticism is that it’s not as comfortable with extremely heavy loads. I haven’t noticed that so far. Like many have said, everyone is different and packs fit different people differently.