Kuiu Peloton 97 hoody & zip-off bottoms- two thumbs up!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I searched for a long (long) time for a very lightweight fleece hoody- almost impossible to find, enter Kuiu's Peleton 97 hoody. Mine in Large is a svelte 5 ounces. I've used it as a base layer in cold weather, I've used it as a mid-layer for an active insulation layer and I've used it as a sleep layer. This zip comes down to lower chest level to vent, the hood fits excellent and it provides a lot more warmth (but still breathes!) than it's 5 ounces. In the "summer" I combine them with a light (5 oz) Apex insulated hooded vest for a very versatile insulation system.

A couple of months later I thought I would give the bottoms a go. Mine in medium are 4.5 oz, pretty svelte considering two longer zippers. I'm equally as impressed with the pants as I am with the hoody. I thought the zip off feature might be a little gimmicky, but they work as advertised. Take off on a cold morning with them under your pants, when you're warmed up- drop your pants BUT don't take off your shoes/boots! and zip them up and they're off. They too are very breathable and much warmer than the light weight would belie.

I used both pieces last year elk hunting, numerous winter camping trip , in this year's Bob Marshall Open (a grueling multi-day Spring event across the Bob Marshall) and a bunch of other trips. These have become as much as a staple as my beloved windshirt and Apex hoody.

They're even nice for lounging around the fire at a 8000' lake before hitting the lake for cutthroat :)

K5mIW6i.jpg

Hows the top do for smell? I was contemplating getting one to replace my FL Kiln because the fleece would dry so much faster if I get sweaty, but I worry that after a couple days, it would stink pretty bad.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if worn as a midlayer I think you’d be fine for ~ week

if used as a base layer, probably 3-4 days, possibly a little longer

probably varies a bit by person

it won’t have the same odor effect as merino, but in my experience pretty good

P Carter

WKR
I’m with you, I love my set as well. The zip offs are really nice. I leave them off for tough hikes in, and then zip them on once I reach the hunting destination so I can slow down, stop, sit, etc without getting cold.

Before the zip offs, I either sweated too much on the way in, which made me cold and move to fast upon arrival, or i was fine on the hike in but too cold throughout the day to move slowly. I was usually too lazy to take my pants and boots off to put on a layer. (Long story, but one time I spooked a darn nice buck in my underwear when I had my pants and boots off putting on a layer.)

In short, the zip-offs are close to a game changer for me.

I use the top as a designated sleeping top that can also serve to provide an extra emergency layer.

good stuff, and I got each on clearance so they didn’t break the bank.

davescarp

WKR
How's the durability? I think I had the hoody I ce and got fabric pulls sitting on my couch?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've worn mine in the neighborhood of 20-ish days and probably 8-10 washings and it still looks very good.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The Peloton 97 is a little heater! I wear the non-hooded version a lot. Thinking about getting the hooded version.

It's not as durable as Aerowool IMO.

ChrisAU

WKR
Wearing one in this pic. Yeah after that night it had a few pulls on the sleeves but still 100% functional, no major damage. Kuiu Peloton 97 is about as good as it gets for warmth to weight. Sure there is a durability trade off that comes with that. My L QZ and zip off bottoms are less than 10 oz together.

334D506C-58ED-4ECE-81C6-5C1DE18AE494.jpeg

ChrisAU

WKR
The Peloton 97 is a little heater! I wear the non-hooded version a lot. Thinking about getting the hooded version.

It's not as durable as Aerowool IMO.

Got a hoody for this fall, imo it’s a great piece to layer over a light merino base when active in cold temps. Did find myself wanting a little more last fall on my neck/head at times, should do the trick.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Got a hoody for this fall, imo it’s a great piece to layer over a light merino base when active in cold temps. Did find myself wanting a little more last fall on my neck/head at times, should do the trick.

Was thinking about double stacking them on my late hunts.

ChrisAU

WKR

I’m glad I’m not the only one. It does leave a bit to be desired when picking a mid layer for really cold hunts and wouldn’t be my pick if I could only choose one, but I just love it when moving. It’s just enough to keep you warm when you stop to rest for a minute but breathes so well you don’t notice it in high exertion. If you do manage to get it wet from sweat it dries before you think twice about it. Just a great piece IMO.

It has definitely crossed my mind to just take two of them if pretty cold temps are forecasted vs a heavier single mid layer to give me more versatility.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Think I’ll be buying my fourth one. They snag like crazy and no wind resistance but soooo warm and light , dries very fast.

Ryan I like to wear a synthetic SS tee, Peloton 97 and then the 240 on cold later hunts that I'm active on. I usually need some wind protection and the 240 provides that. Double 97 would be probably 1/2-2/3 the weight but not offer near the wind protection. Only complaint I have is the belled out wrists on the 97 bunching under the trim 240 wrists.

j33

WKR
Ryan I like to wear a synthetic SS tee, Peloton 97 and then the 240 on cold later hunts that I'm active on. I usually need some wind protection and the 240 provides that. Double 97 would be probably 1/2-2/3 the weight but not offer near the wind protection. Only complaint I have is the belled out wrists on the 97 bunching under the trim 240 wrists.

That will be nice exact layering system for my September Elk Hunt 118 SS, 97 hoody, 240 hoodless

My Kiln mid layer will be staying home and only will use it when in the trees more as this 97 snags so easy. 97 is about 10 oz lighter than the Kiln.

prm

WKR
How does the Peleton 97 compare to Aerowool? Mostly interested in moisture management. I use either a silk weight baselayer or Aerowool baselayer with a 240 Peleton over them. Then an Arc’teryx Atom and if glassing in the very cold a Kifaru LPP. That’s for 1st season rifle on CO or later.

ChrisAU

WKR
I prefer merino for next to skin, but in terms of dry time, you could soak the merino and the 97 at the same time, let the 97 dry out, soak the 97, let the 97 dry out, before the merino dries.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
syn typically crushes merino in drying time- especially at or near the same fabric weight

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried double stacking them last year. Upsizing the second layer would have been more comfortable. Ultimately wearing one 97 under a 240 was the best combination and worth the extra weight.