Kuiu Ultra Down Pant vs Super Down Pro vs others?

Cole

Lil-Rokslider
I'm researching down puffy pants for a late season backcountry Idaho hunt. What puffy pants do you like and why? So far I'm leaning toward Kuiu Ultra Down Pant or Super Down Pro but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks for the help!

Super down pro will be warmer than the super down ultra. About all I can add.
lots of options from many brands a lot depends on your budget and expected durability.

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Superdown Pros and love them. The fabric is more durable than the Ultras and the full power isn’t even close.

OP
Cole

Cole

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Superdown Pros and love them. The fabric is more durable than the Ultras and the full power isn’t even close.

Thanks! Looks like I’m going to get the super down pros 👍

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
I would check out the Stone Glacier Grumman pants. The color is weird, but they have more fill of equal quality to the Kuiu pro's, weigh the same and cost A LOT less. The Kuiu pro's face fabric is thicker so they would probably be more durable, and you can get them in normal colors.

There's some good budget friendly options out there too. I can't remember brand names so hopefully some others will chime in on those.

ChrisAU

WKR
I wanted to like the Ultras, but on my last elk hunt I didn't feel they added a lot of warmth and I rarely wore them outside of the tent because I was scared they would rip. In theory I could have dropped trousers and put them on under my pants while glassing, but I'd prefer not to do that.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to like the Ultras, but on my last elk hunt I didn't feel they added a lot of warmth and I rarely wore them outside of the tent because I was scared they would rip. In theory I could have dropped trousers and put them on under my pants while glassing, but I'd prefer not to do that.
What's the off brand you've written about before?

ChrisAU

WKR
What's the off brand you've written about before?

True Timber, if they were full zip I'd sing their praise all over the place. But for $85ish and 11.55 oz for my larges they are just right for me for backpack hunting. Wore them a few times whitetail hunting too. I feel they are much warmer than the Ultra's.

tdot

WKR
I ended up with the Ultra's because I wanted them under my pants. I prefer down to be protected by an outer layer, so that the down garment cant be made as light as possible. They are not uber heavy weight arctic pants. They are not meant to be. They are thin enough, that if I have to move I can. I find the thicker down, I cant move without sweating.

They are a backup insulation layer for me, adding a bit of safety to my sleep system. Comfort to some colder temps and light enough that I always have them with me.

Personally the Ultra and Pro fill different temp ratings and are also dependent on how you use your layering system.

I'd take a Feathered Friend Helios over a Pro

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
I like Sitka Kelvin lite pants. Double knees and double seat. They are a bit heavier, but I've seen the Kuiu ultras get shredded quickly. Pants are easier to shred in brush and you are less likely to take them off to move. The problem is they no longer make them.

OP
Cole

Cole

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all the replies so far. Here's a quick comparison of what people have recommended so far.

Kuiu Ultra Down Pant $249, weight 8oz, not super durable, 1.7 oz of Premium 850+FP
Kuiu Super Down Pro Pant $329, weight 16 oz, 3.2 oz of Premium 850+FP Quixdown (Twice the down as ULTRA)
Feathered Friends Helios Down Pants $249, weight 13 oz, 4.4 oz 900+ Goose Down
Stone Glacier Grumman pants $229, weight 16 oz, 4.2 oz of 850+ fill goose down

Does anyone have any experience with the longevity and water resistance of the above pants?

tdot

WKR
Durable depends on your point of view.

Ultras are durable enough in the sense that worn under outer pant, as designed, they'll be fine, worn around camp, in a tent, etc, they're fine. They have minimal water protection.

The Pertex in the FF is going to be more water resistant and marginally more durable.

But none of these pants are going to live long if you're busting brush or sitting on stone, etc. They arent outer layers. In the sense of a hard shell or soft shell pant.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
I would say the Kuiu Pro's are the most durable. They have reinforced seat and knee's that's out of thicker material and they are marketed as an outer layer.

I have a pair of Kuiu SD and a pair of custom GooseFeet down pants, and the GF are hands down way better. Really no comparison IMO.

Both are stored the exact same way, as you see in the picture, which ones do you think are warmer? The GF pants weigh 7 oz. and the SD weigh 10.5 oz., but the SD pants also have the full length side zip and the GF pants don’t.

a3b214143aa3e170745904608403208b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
There really are some good options out there. I personally decided on the Kuiu SD Pro for a few reasons.
First was that I wanted a water resistant down. This eliminated a few options right away. Then I wanted something that was warm and light weight. Most anything listed so far would work well for sure (the Ultras might lose favor here). Next came the ability to pack the pants easily with little space used. I did look at some other “puffier” pants but they didn’t seem to compress quite as well. I use my pants primarily in a tree stand during the late whitetail seasons. And the compressibility is a major concern because I hate unorganized packs full of crap that ends up dropping to the ground. Face fabric was a concern of mine. I didn’t want to be using my pants and constantly worrying about tearing them. The pros are surprisingly more durable than some of the other offerings. That alone is worth the weight. Last was price. I decided that if I found the right pants they will cost what they cost. I let fit and function totally dictate my purchase. I’m very satisfied with the decision.

OP
Cole

Cole

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Kuiu SD and a pair of custom GooseFeet down pants, and the GF are hands down way better. Really no comparison IMO.

Both are stored the exact same way, as you see in the picture, which ones do you think are warmer? The GF pants weigh 7 oz. and the SD weigh 10.5 oz., but the SD pants also have the full length side zip and the GF pants don’t.

a3b214143aa3e170745904608403208b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GooseFeet look legit! Thank you for sharing. Do you ever wear your Kuius anymore? If you do, why?