KUIU

ChrisAU

WKR
I think anything Kuiu Peloton 97 is amazing for the warmth/weight ratio. If you're building a light setup it is very hard to ignore them for mid layers. Love the bottoms and the tops, and I even have a beanie and neck gaiter I use a lot.

I have moved mostly to Sitka but I love the Attack pants still the best for warm weather hunts, and the rain gear is great as well. My Chugach is 5 years old

KUIU was founded as an ultra light mountain hunting company. Bibs generally don't fit that mantra. Quality is good, utility is good as long as you are using the clothing for what it was designed for: mountain hunting. I've seen all too often someone wear high exertion clothing to the tree stand and wonder why they froze their a$$ off. Use clothing for what it was designed for and you'll be a happier customer in the end.

^^^This^^^
I love their Guide pants, hoodys, beanie, base layers but their insulation layers and jackets suck (lotsa sizing issues) so I ended up selling em off and buying Sitka Gear. It is not unusual to see me wearing a mix of both. Brand loyalty is for fanboys...I buy what works for me.

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with what has been said regarding durability. The insulation layers aren't made to bust through briars or crawl across rocks, you almost have to wear an outer layer to protect it. The upside of this is the overall weight of the system is considerably lighter than even Sitka, if you are truly pushing miles in extreme terrain and conditions (above tree-line, pelting rain and snow, extreme physical exertion). I love all my gear because I know what it can and can't do. Also, their materials are space-aged compared to most hunting brands. Gore-tex is great, but we will improve upon it, especially at the rate that fabric R&D is going. Regarding the bizarre KUIU bashing about issues other than the gear itself, sounds like some folks have too much time on their hands.

I like most of their stuff. I even stopped by their retail store last year when I was out that way near SF.

Their stuff does run small IMO and I'm not a big fan of the puffy stuff - (super down ultra) it is not durable at all.

SMOKYMTN

WKR
Loved reading this thread, and reminds me why hunting in the Smoky Mountain region of NC is one of the damn toughest places to hunt in the country.

Steep terrain, one of the wettest in the country, but with a southern subtropical climate, and vegetation as thick as Vietnam. It’ll be 85 with air as thick as milk to begin the season, and in the teens with snow to end.

The problem is, we need the durability and comfort of mountain gear, but the insulation of still hunting gear as there isn’t much glassing when you’re sitting in a rainforest. I find a mixed bag typically works well. I love the brush busting ability of FL Catalyst gear to get me through the thickets but insulating ability of Sitka Promaloft for when I plop down. I would love to try some KUIU gear but I just don’t know what to buy.

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
Loved reading this thread, and reminds me why hunting in the Smoky Mountain region of NC is one of the damn toughest places to hunt in the country.

Steep terrain, one of the wettest in the country, but with a southern subtropical climate, and vegetation as thick as Vietnam. It’ll be 85 with air as think as milk to begin the season, and in the teens with snow to end.

The problem is, we need the durability and comfort of mountain gear, but the insulation of still hunting gear as there isn’t much glassing when you’re sitting in a rainforest. I find a mixed bag typically works well. I love the brush busting ability of FL Catalyst gear to get me through the thickets but insulating ability of Sitka Promaloft for when I plop down. I would love to try some KUIU gear but I just don’t know what to buy.

I used to do some bear hunting up in Cherokee Nt’l Forrest when I lived in TN. I’ll agree that is tough, wet country and it stays wet for days on end. Steep, too and dealing with the rhododendron is brutal.

SMOKYMTN

WKR
I used to do some bear hunting up in Cherokee Nt’l Forrest when I lived in TN. I’ll agree that is tough, wet country and it stays wet for days on end. Steep, too and dealing with the rhododendron is brutal.

We call it “Rhodo Hell” around here. I’ve hunted all over the country and when people ask me what hunting back home is like, I tell them you have the terrain of Montana, the rainfall of the Cascade’s, the vegetation of a Louisiana swamp and the humidity of Georgia. The worst of all 4 rolled into 1. Lol. I love it though, that coupled with low deer density but the presence of old trophy bucks, makes it a formidable challenge. There’s been a lot of good hunters come from that region and a lot of good hunting innovations as well. I particularly love the blend of highly technical, lightweight western mountain principles with the still hunting nature of the East, that is coming from the area. I saw the other day where a group of guys have developed a carbon fiber climbing stick out of Asheville, that’s getting ready to hit the market. The company was called Timber Ninja I believe. Check it out.

Last edited:
We call it “Rhodo Hell” around here. I’ve hunted all over the country and when people ask me what hunting back home is like, I tell them you have the terrain of Montana, the rainfall of the Cascade’s, the vegetation of a Louisiana swamp and the humidity of Georgia. The worst of all 4 rolled into 1. Lol. I love it though, that coupled with low deer density but the presence of old trophy bucks, makes it a formidable challenge. There’s been a lot of good hunters come from that region and a lot of good hunting innovations as well. I particularly love the blend of highly technical, lightweight western mountain principles with the still hunting nature of the East, that is coming from the area. I saw the other day where a group of guys have developed a carbon fiber climbing stick out of Asheville, that’s getting ready to hit the market. The company was called Timber Ninja I believe. Check it out.
Thanks boss!

I have an awful time fitting hunting clothes. I'm a 40" chest and 30.5" waist. Nothing ever fits because it's not tailored narrow enough through the waist.

I have some Kuiu pants on order, so we'll see how those go.

Totally open to suggestions!

KMW

FNG
I have accumulated a lot of Kuiu over the years and I have found it to be pretty versatile, even though I generally don’t use it for its intended mountain hunting use. I hunt mostly in the east and I like the lightweight durable clothing for still hunting and the packability for long hikes in and layering up for treestand sits. I can honestly say I’ve never been cold in a treestand in Kuiu with proper layering. I am a huge fan of the Kuiu zip off bottoms I have...I think they’re Teton insulated pants? Not made anymore...but they are great to pack in and zip on under my outer pants at the bottom of the tree. Same with my uppers...I run a Kuiu Teton puffy not made anymore under a guide jacket for wind protection and I can be comfortable in that all day down into the single digits. With that said, I have been slowly transitioning over to Sitka for my whitetail gear as pieces need replacing. Nothing against Kuiu, just Sitka’s whitetail line is better suited to my needs. I will probably continue to use Kuiu base layers and will always own a pair of Attack pants.