Lasik vs PRK Surgery

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
Bout 5 years ago I had PRK done. Doc recommended it due to the amount of brush busting I do and also the the amount of kids I have (6). I had a higher likelihood of getting hit in the eye by stuff was his comment.

I had only 1 eye done at a time with about 6-7 weeks in between them to heal. This allowed me to drive/work/etc without breaking my routine. It was a long drawn out process but was worth it. Both eyes healed in about 6-7 weeks each.

4 months after both eyes were healed up I was at a birthday party when my son spiked a small beach ball into my face as I was turning to look. The small seam on the ball hit my open eye and scooped a small chunk of cornea out. I had a patch over the eye for a few weeks because it had some busted blood vessels and Dr. kept it dilated so it could heal without further damage. Not sure if the hit by the ball would have ripped off the cornea had I had Lasik instead of PRK but that is the thoughtline on why I opted for PRK.

Would do it all again in a heartbeat. It's been awesome.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
You will hear a lot of people say - "I wish I had done it sooner" That was definitely the case with me. I wore glasses since I was in 5th grade and waited until I was 56 years old to have Lasik done 3 years ago. It is still some of the best money I have spent though. I feel like I am Superman with laser vision or something some times.
The only negative for me, is that I lost all my close up vision, so I need readers for close up work and reading. I knew this going in, but I never thought I would need to take glasses on/off so much at the office. As far as outside activities and hunting go, you can't beat it. I see farther, pick up movement easier and everything is crystal clear. Its a trade-off, I'm happy with. I could have got Mono-vision Lasik, but it is a compromise. Neither your close-up or distance vision comes out perfect - its good but not perfect. My doctor was able to put lenses on me to show me approximately what my close and distance vision would be with Mono, and I opted to have the perfect clear distance vision, rather than just reasonably good vision near and far.
The procedure was quick and easy, in and out in about 10 minutes. Went to the hotel, took a nap, woke up and was reading the words on the smoke alarm above the bed. I would do it again in a heart beat.

TSnave

FNG
I had Lasik in 2003 which has been great. 54 years old, still have 20/20 left and 20/30 right...but I need readers now and tying a fly on is pure luck without them! Really, one the best things I've ever done.

jwpete21

FNG
I had PRK. The first 3 days SUCKED. After that it was shades for a few weeks and low brightness on screens. It was worth the money and suffering though. My vision now (2 years later) is still better than even brand new glasses.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
So I finally got sick enough of contacts and glasses to go in for a refractive surgery consultation. Doc says I would be a candidate for either Lasik or PRK surgery. At this point either would be a vast improvement from the -8.00 I currently have.

Do any of you guys out there that had Lasik done regret not getting PRK? It would be nice to not have to worry about the epithelial flap becoming dislodged after surgery, but the PRK recovery also seems like a royal PITA.
Lasik, went with a doc whos clients list has a ton of pro athletes and it paid off big time. Now have close to 20-13 vision and can spot game with the naked eye I would have never seen with contacts. Wish I had the surgery years earlier

Roughout

FNG
LASIK- frankly got in young and didn’t know much on options. My wife had -8.25 and got it a year after I did, each of us would do it 10x over. Money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I am also very sensitive about my eyes. One of my earliest memories is witnessing some homeless guy ripping his own eye out during a schizophrenic episode.

I never considered contacts or eye drops because I couldn't stand to have anything close to my face. I always have to skip the puff of air at the optometrist. When I got my lasik consultation the doctors let me know I was particularly hard to work with .

They drugged me up before lasik. I don't remember if they gave me Valium or Xanax, but it was a hell of a drug. I usually don't like people even pointing at my face, but when I was all chemically mellowed out I was able to stare are the big piston pressing down on my eyes and think, "hey man, that's cool".

Okay this is something I am also considering but I have a bad eye phobia. I can barely get eye drops in with a lot of effort. Open eyes under water, no freakin way. Can’t even look at a close up image of an eye. I’ve almost passed out eye dr office before from anxiety.

But how can one get through the procedure itself. Can they put you out to the point where you’re awake but have no idea what is going on? What about the recovery process itself. Just drops?

Not sure how to get past the phobia though and if this would ever be an option.

stdeb11

FNG
I did PRK about 4yrs ago. Worth every penny. I struggle to sit still so the first couple days having to keep eyes closed and sit around was the worst part for me, never did feel the pain was ever too bad. Got it done on a Friday and driving to work Monday was a struggle. Took about a month for vision to get to where I felt comfortable. Ended up with borderline 20/10.