Last 3 sleeping bags western mountaineering vs stone glacier

OP
TonySkyline
So per the review on rokslide, the gentlemen chose the kuiu over the SG and Western mountaineering bag. They were all the 15* model. He did mention that the WM held water out better than the kuiu and that the SG was amazing at keeping out moisture but overall said the kuiu was the best. God I wish this was easier. It really is a big decision though considering the cost. It will be used for a decade so buy once cry once is what I say. It really does make me wonder why SG and Kuiu aren't made here in America. It would be a no brainer honestly. WM says they don't need the water proofing and that it's a gimmick yet their bags hold out moisture better than the kuiu? Lol. I just keep going around with this. This will undoubtedly be the last thing I purchase for my trip as I've got everything else now besides a sleeping bag and boots.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
So per the review on rokslide, the gentlemen chose the kuiu over the SG and Western mountaineering bag. They were all the 15* model. He did mention that the WM held water out better than the kuiu and that the SG was amazing at keeping out moisture but overall said the kuiu was the best. God I wish this was easier. It really is a big decision though considering the cost. It will be used for a decade so buy once cry once is what I say. It really does make me wonder why SG and Kuiu aren't made here in America. It would be a no brainer honestly. WM says they don't need the water proofing and that it's a gimmick yet their bags hold out moisture better than the kuiu? Lol. I just keep going around with this. This will undoubtedly be the last thing I purchase for my trip as I've got everything else now besides a sleeping bag and boots.

Ducks and geese don't have hydrophobic down, they do just fine. 15 degree Kuiu bag is no longer made, so that leaves you two choices. SG or WM. Lots of us trust WM when they say that hydrophobic down isn't needed. It adds weight, and eventually wears off anyways. You can't go wrong with either of them. Decide whether you want vertical baffles on the SG,or horizontal on WM where you can move the down around. Down underneath you on any bag is pretty much useless because it gets compressed. Both are close in price, one is imported, one isn't. Robby is also admittedly a cold sleeper so keep that in mind on his review. If you're a warm sleeper your results will be different than his. You're stuck in analysis paralysis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For me this one was easy peezy. Western Mountaineering is the most respected brand in down bags. My guess is that they have by far the highest resale value. They are accurately temperature rated. Horizontal baffles means they are adjustable in warmth rating. They have excellent features and are literally top quality. And they are made in the USA. I have two. 😁
20200626_185841.jpg

Last edited:

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I’d go WM every day. In a heart beat. I’ve used a WM bag for the last 7ish years and it had been flawless. And...I’m always just proud that they are made here in the USA.

sndmn11

WKR
So per the review on rokslide, the gentlemen chose the kuiu over the SG and Western mountaineering bag. .

When looking at bags you need to account for all of the sizing specs. If you read towards the end of that review, it is mentioned the Western Mountaineering bag is the roomiest. Why does that matter? The person is the heater in the sleeping bag, the interior is the space that needs to be heated. So a smaller person in a bigger bag is going to result in more energy to heat that bag compared to a smaller bag....this a person feels colder in the former.
So keep in mind YOUR size needs. That is why WM has some temp ratings cover Ed with more than one bag....because the girth at shoulder/hip/feet are different. It will help in your search to understand that concept.
How can the Versalite be rated to a lower temp than the Badger, when the Badger has more down (fill weight)? Simply, the Versalite is a noticeably smaller tube to heat.
Find the right bag, and achieving the right performance expectations is more than just picking a temp rating. It is very important to find the right fit. Too tight and you compreas the down as @Kevin_t mentioned. Too loose and you are burning calories to heat excess space, or just plainly not hearing it.

Go to a store and climb in bags. Find the right FIT write down the specifics of that bag (model, brand, size, temp), then go home and look up what the actual shoulder/hip/foot girth is. Use that info to select the right size bag, then pick the best temp rating that bag is available in.

See how often WM bags come up for sale. Very rarely compared to other bags and if they do, the price is not far off of new.

2ski

WKR
You're at the point you're nit-picking. Puck one. If you don't like it, there's always a resale market close to what you paid for it.

When looking at bags you need to account for all of the sizing specs. If you read towards the end of that review, it is mentioned the Western Mountaineering bag is the roomiest. Why does that matter? The person is the heater in the sleeping bag, the interior is the space that needs to be heated. So a smaller person in a bigger bag is going to result in more energy to heat that bag compared to a smaller bag....this a person feels colder in the former.
So keep in mind YOUR size needs. That is why WM has some temp ratings cover Ed with more than one bag....because the girth at shoulder/hip/feet are different. It will help in your search to understand that concept.
How can the Versalite be rated to a lower temp than the Badger, when the Badger has more down (fill weight)? Simply, the Versalite is a noticeably smaller tube to heat.
Find the right bag, and achieving the right performance expectations is more than just picking a temp rating. It is very important to find the right fit. Too tight and you compreas the down as @Kevin_t mentioned. Too loose and you are burning calories to heat excess space, or just plainly not hearing it.

Go to a store and climb in bags. Find the right FIT write down the specifics of that bag (model, brand, size, temp), then go home and look up what the actual shoulder/hip/foot girth is. Use that info to select the right size bag, then pick the best temp rating that bag is available in.

What are your thoughts on how much excess space you should have at the shoulders? I've found that measuring my shoulders with my arms flat against my body is alot different then laying flat with my arms loose against my side.

This was one of the things I struggled with most when picking a bag out. I went with the badger w/ overfill over the Kodiak because it was just a hair narrower. I really liked the versalite but was concerned it was too narrow. In the badger with my arms relaxed I have maybe 1-2inches on either side before I'm touching the sides.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just get a western mountaineering bag, pick the one you like, skip the overfill and be happy with a bag that will do you well for many years to come.

OP
TonySkyline
I know the review was for 15* bags but I am looking for 0* bags and kuiu still does make the 0* version. I am 5'8" and I believe the SG only comes in 1 length which covers people up to 6'5" if I'm not mistaken so their may be a bit of extra length in that bag. I am a side sleeper most of the time and like to sprawl out so the tighter bags make me feel constricted on my legs which I hate. I'm also a cold sleeper like Robbie which is why I'm aiming towards a 0* bag. Does WM make a 0* bag that has a gore coating? I believe the kodiak is the one I've been looking at.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ll take a little more room vs. faster warmup time any day of the week. If the bag is rated for the temperature range a few extra inches shouldn’t matter but will provide more comfort.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I know the review was for 15* bags but I am looking for 0* bags and kuiu still does make the 0* version. I am 5'8" and I believe the SG only comes in 1 length which covers people up to 6'5" if I'm not mistaken so their may be a bit of extra length in that bag. I am a side sleeper most of the time and like to sprawl out so the tighter bags make me feel constricted on my legs which I hate. I'm also a cold sleeper like Robbie which is why I'm aiming towards a 0* bag. Does WM make a 0* bag that has a gore coating? I believe the kodiak is the one I've been looking at.

yes, WM makes a bag that fits that description.

Get the Sequoia. It's a legit 5 degree bag. See mine in the photo a few posts back. Buy the 6' version.

Check the measurements on the WM specs page. 66"/62",48" for shoulders, knees, footbox. It's a palace. Micro fiber is plenty water resistant. Even through hikers on the Pacifica Crest Trail don't generally feel the need for a GORE bag. And the MF is very breathable.

Specs for all Western Mountaineering bags:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have the WM GWS Seqouia Long with free overfill from Hermits Hut. I’ve been in -5 F in that bag and been plenty comfy with the right sleeping pad and some mid weight base layers (first lite kiln top and bottoms). Also merino socks and merino beanie on. Perfect nights sleep that night and wasn’t cold once.

The Seqouia is great since I’m a side/stomach sleeper. It is their “semi-rec” cut instead of the more restrictive mummy cuts from most companies.