Lets not start an argument regarding broadheads.

WVELK

FNG
I am in a bit of a situation. I personally prefer fixed heads for elk, but I have a friend who is going elk hunting with a bow this year (Not with me). I know him well. He will practice and do all the right things, but he is a mechanical diehard. And, as I think about it - knowing him- he and the elk are probably better off if he hunts with mechanicals. He would not check flight of each head on fixed head. He would likely end up shooting dull blades, and he is likely to fling one further than he should. That is the cold hard truth.

I am a huge fan of Swackers for whitetails. What I am trying to find out is: From those of you who have shot at least one bull elk with mechanical heads, what heads worked well for you and what ones worked better than others if you have shot multiple bulls with multiple style heads. Thanks for your time and input in advance. I really want to help this guy out and I also want to come up with the best chances of not wounding an elk should my buddy get a shot.

I put the title in as written because I really don’t want to start a debate about fixed or mechanicals, or any debate really. I just want facts and information based on experience. Thanks.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Good luck with this! If I wasn’t in Vegas, I’d get the popcorn ready and enjoy the show.

Beendare

WKR
I've shot elk with mech and fixed.

5 for 5 with mech....and about 20 for 21 with fixed....the one that got away was a one lunger...not the BH's fault, just a really hard angle.

A well tuned bow and an arrow setup that is checked and dialed in....makes the head less of a factor.

tuned and tested is key....if you are just screwing on any head and guessing it flys perfect...the odds are 50/50.

Sure we all chose a BH for different attributes....but with a decent weight well tuned and tested arrow.........a mech head is fine.

____

3darcher2

Lil-Rokslider
I killed the elk in my avatar with a 100 grain Rocket Steelhead on a 3-49 back in 1999 on my only elk hunt. One shot, pass through, sticking out of both sides. Walked 50 yards and fell over.

The Steelhead is only a 1 1/8" cut. I had an archery shop in the 90s and we sold thousands of Rockets. We had great success with them, me personally with the Steelhead. I don't think the currently produced ones are anywhere near the quality they were back then though.

I'll be using a Slick Trick 125 standard this year.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
As far as mechanicals go, I've shot a 6x6 with a 125gr Spitfire, and another 6x6 with a 125gr Grim Reaper Fatal Steel......both were devastating. But I shoot 75lbs at almost 33" draw with a 500+ grain arrow as well. Penetration is not an issue and I will continue to use those heads. I also shot another 6x6 with a 125gr Ulmer Edge.......that one was less than spectacular with a liver/one lung hit. Everything else has been with fixed heads.

cmbbulldog

Lil-Rokslider
I have killed elk with Ulmer edge and rage hyperdermic.

ill have a rage in my quiver this year... along with fixed heads.

WYELK83

FNG
As others have said I believe shot placement is more important. But of course hitting a shoulder blade or a rib could be a game changer. I’m a diehard original two blade Rage guy mainly because they shoot exactly like a field point and I don’t have to adjust my sights. That alone boosts my confidence.

CJF

WKR
Two bull kills here with Rage Hypo +P. Both died within sight of where they were shot.

Like others have said, I would not try to push it through a scapula on an elk but ribs are not a problem.

Noklok

FNG
My last Elk hunt my buddy and I were 2 for 2 with Rocket steelheads. Ok sharp. Tough to sharpen. Fantastic penetration. Open quick as the blades lean open. Blew through 5x5 and couldn’t even find it. 52 yards. My buddy poked out the other side on a 6x6. Entry and exit low on the shoulder. Couldn’t believe it when I saw where he hit it. 30 yards. He broke one blade but you could feel splintered bone in the entry. Cleaned a blade off and passed through. That’s better than being indestructible and stopping on the bone. They aren’t made anymore but they can be found.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
I've shot elk with mech and fixed.

5 for 5 with mech....and about 20 for 21 with fixed....the one that got away was a one lunger...not the BH's fault, just a really hard angle.

A well tuned bow and an arrow setup that is checked and dialed in....makes the head less of a factor.

tuned and tested is key....if you are just screwing on any head and guessing it flys perfect...the odds are 50/50.

Sure we all chose a BH for different attributes....but with a decent weight well tuned and tested arrow.........a mech head is fine.

____

What mechanicals did you use and like?

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
As far as mechanicals go, I've shot a 6x6 with a 125gr Spitfire, and another 6x6 with a 125gr Grim Reaper Fatal Steel......both were devastating. But I shoot 75lbs at almost 33" draw with a 500+ grain arrow as well. Penetration is not an issue and I will continue to use those heads. I also shot another 6x6 with a 125gr Ulmer Edge.......that one was less than spectacular with a liver/one lung hit. Everything else has been with fixed heads.

Wow you are packing some serious kinetic energy! My buddy does not have that long of a draw , but he does shoot more draw weight than I. About 72 pounds if I recall.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Thanks to those who gave some input. I need to refresh my recollection as to at least one mechanical mentioned. I don’t recall it exactly.

Ive had a spitfire and a rage fail since then i just shoot fixed blade or at least a hybrid. I dont even want to worry about it but I know there are some better. I still.do shoot Sevr mechs for antelope here in CO just not for elk.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Blaw

WKR
I will be trying Rage this year.

The 6x6 elk in my pic was taken with a slick trick standard.
my arrow weighed around 450 grains
My draw length is 31.5"
and my bow is maxed at 70lbs....its probably a bit over if actually measured
I have chronod my arrow at around 315fps

I shot the elk at 15yards full broadside shot, just ribs....my outcome was broadhead stopped just under the opposite hide, zero blood. Elk ran and did a U turn and died about 40yards from where I shot it.

That all being said I will be using Rage Hyperdermic, I have increased my arrow weight to 550 grains and I chrono them around 275fps

I would rather a gaping hole on one side than a little hole.

I personally have killed 8 elk with spitfire broadheads. Haven't had an issue except once the arrow didn't exit and burry in the ground, but that was a frontal shot. It was right at the skin in the taint area of that bull. No issues what so ever, I have seen probably 20+ elk killed with spitfires. No personal experience with any other mechanicals.

Normally 72# 29". Arrows ranging from 380-411 grains. Speeds right about 300 fps.

Been shooting heavier and fixed, but think I m going to carry some 125 spitfires this year.

I’ll be Elk hunting this year and using a QAD Exodus - have used that BH to take everything from Pygmy Antelope to Moose and have absolute confidence in it. As far as mechanicals go I’ve had a few failures over the years but have had the most consistent performance with Rage Hypodermics — they are my go-to for my Scorpyd Crossbow.

Above all, your buddy needs to do some practice shooting with the actual broadheads he’ll be using in the field. A big part of Bowhunting is a mental game. At the moment of truth everything should be well rehearsed and familiar.