Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

magedon44

FNG

MT257

WKR
Alright guys after reading 47 pages, I have a wild idea and some quesitons about building a custom tikka. I am looking to build a rifle weighing less than my current Remington 700 CDL in a 257 Weatherby which is 10.8 pounds ready to go in the field.

What I am looking at doing is buying a 300 Win Mag in a Tikka. I would use that action for the build. I want the build to be a 257 Weatherby. I would keep the factory stock, the ones I have experience with don't bother me. I know that I will need a new barrel. Who makes barrels that mirror the contours in the factory contour? I am open to carbon barrels, but only if they fit in the factory stock. I just want the finished barrel length to be 26". Any help/insight on this will help my process out.

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished this project up today.

Tikka T3x Superlite 7mm-08
Mesa Precision Altitude Stock
Mountain Tactical Bottom Metal
Fluted Bolt
Yodave Trigger Spring
Long Action Magazine/Bolt Stop
Sportsmatch Rings
Nightforce 3-10x42 SHV

58d1bcd44c1d25178cb3c8b96353dc6a.jpg
Nice rifle! Do you have a weight on it?

I’ll be interested to see how you like the taller Sportsmatch rings.

I recently ordered a set of TO84 after I broke a Warne Mtn Tech ring on my 223 Tikka. The 223 wears a SWFA 3-9... but I was curious about using those rings for my 6.5 with a Nightforce SHV 4-14x50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A little late on this, did t084 work with 50mm shv?

Spoonbill

WKR
Alright guys after reading 47 pages, I have a wild idea and some quesitons about building a custom tikka. I am looking to build a rifle weighing less than my current Remington 700 CDL in a 257 Weatherby which is 10.8 pounds ready to go in the field.

What I am looking at doing is buying a 300 Win Mag in a Tikka. I would use that action for the build. I want the build to be a 257 Weatherby. I would keep the factory stock, the ones I have experience with don't bother me. I know that I will need a new barrel. Who makes barrels that mirror the contours in the factory contour? I am open to carbon barrels, but only if they fit in the factory stock. I just want the finished barrel length to be 26". Any help/insight on this will help my process out.
It should work, Benchmark and proof both make factory contour barrels as well as mountain tactical. If you handload you could load up the 131 gr blackjack bullets, not sure if they would fit in the factory magazine or not. I have no personal experience with them but those bullets are popular for long range shooting.

z987k

WKR
Has anyone had the factory lite barrel fluted? Weight purposes only, is it worth it? Math says it might drop 5-6oz...
The superlite and lite are listed as within .1-.2kg which is 3-6oz. I didn't get a superlite because I cut the barrel shorter than the flutes.

Has anyone had the factory lite barrel fluted? Weight purposes only, is it worth it? Math says it might drop 5-6oz...
The superlite and lite are listed as within .1-.2kg which is 3-6oz. I didn't get a superlite because I cut the barrel shorter than the flutes.

Maybe a couple ounces.

I wouldn't do it due to possible negative impacts to accuracy.

Heimdall2

FNG
Similar to others, I finally pushed through the 47 page thread (no regrets) for ideas on my upcoming build. I have a 3yo T3X lite in 300wm. Looking to get a new stock/chassis, barrel, muzzle break, bolt handle/knob, flute the bolt, and cerekote. Weight isn’t a a huge factor for me. Up top will be a Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56.
-I am torn between the Manners PRS1TK, MPA chassis, and KRG Bravo for the adjustability.
-Leaning toward a carbon six sendero contour prefit.
-The hardest decision for me right now is caliber. 300wsm and 7saum are my top two based on it being a large game rifle. I have considered the switch lug but that spikes the cost and complication more than I’d like for my 1st custom build.
-I don’t currently reload but will be by the end of the summer next year. That makes the WSM more attractive for the availability of factory ammo options. Any advice on those few points would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Similar to others, I finally pushed through the 47 page thread (no regrets) for ideas on my upcoming build. I have a 3yo T3X lite in 300wm. Looking to get a new stock/chassis, barrel, muzzle break, bolt handle/knob, flute the bolt, and cerekote. Weight isn’t a a huge factor for me. Up top will be a Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56.
-I am torn between the Manners PRS1TK, MPA chassis, and KRG Bravo for the adjustability.
-The hardest decision for me right now is caliber. 300wsm and 7saum are my top two based on it being a large game rifle. I have considered the switch lug but that spikes the cost and complication more than I’d like for my 1st custom build.
-I don’t currently reload but will be by the end of the summer next year. That makes the WSM more attractive for the availability of factory ammo options. Any advice on those few points would be greatly appreciated.
Is there a weight your shooting for? With your stock and scope choice your going to be heavy.

I thought the KRG only took short action mags?

Heimdall2

FNG
I thought the KRG only took short action mags?
Yes and from my understanding the 7saum (depending on OAL of developed loads) fits fine in SA mags. I think most guys recommend LA for the 7saum but I have read quite a few that have decent setups in SA.

Last edited:

83cj-7

WKR
I have a few rifles and have built 4 customs on Tikka actions, but this pair are my primary hunting rifles.

Top is a .280 (vanilla) with a 24” Proof 8.4 light sendero. The bottom is a factory barrel T1x .22. Both have Manners EHTs, Area 419 bases and Warne rings.

Attachments

• 5059B220-86AC-4DC7-914E-76016DA3A287.jpeg
    5059B220-86AC-4DC7-914E-76016DA3A287.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 316