Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

brushape

WKR
Been thinking of this build for years now and finally came together, I haven’t shot it yet but you can bet I’m excited too.
Carbon six sendero 23” 6.5 gap4s 7.5 twist
Allterra arms stock 23.5 ounces fully bedded
Hawkins rings
Mountain tactical bottom metal
Ti pro muzzle brake

The goal here was to build a new rifle to replace my precious savage action 6.5 gap build and have it be slightly shorter, lighter with a better more reliable action and magazine. So far it seems like I accomplished all those and with selective shopping during sales and scoring the donor rifle for a great deal it didn’t cost me as much as I expected. Weights right at 6.5 pounds as a bare rifle and is 2” shorter than my previous gun
b477a3416879ff4f0e13694bb27b5557.jpg

f3a811cebbe70c9180e5385e1287e720.jpg

4bb002d234fd9553e33862263dea0f61.jpg

025ff868295983b2602cd07a77551ef9.jpg

Only thing left to do after I do some test shooting is going to be getting the bolt fluted and some cerakote on the metal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecsn7d

FNG
Been thinking of this build for years now and finally came together, I haven’t shot it yet but you can bet I’m excited too.
Hawkins rings
Ti pro muzzle brake

The goal here was to build a new rifle to replace my precious savage action 6.5 gap build and have it be slightly shorter, lighter with a better more reliable action and magazine. So far it seems like I accomplished all those and with selective shopping during sales and scoring the donor rifle for a great deal it didn’t cost me as much as I expected. Weights right at 6.5 pounds as a bare rifle and is 2” shorter than my previous gun

Only thing left to do after I do some test shooting is going to be getting the bolt fluted and some cerakote on the metal

What’s scope?

Txhunter85

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome rifles. I’ll post some pics of mine once it gets back from the gunsmith. I’m a new tikka owner, always had savages. What are you guys doing to the trigger? Not sure how good they are stock or if people are putting timneys in or just swapping springs.

wyosam

WKR
Awesome rifles. I’ll post some pics of mine once it gets back from the gunsmith. I’m a new tikka owner, always had savages. What are you guys doing to the trigger? Not sure how good they are stock or if people are putting timneys in or just swapping springs.

Doing swap only. I run rifle basix and Timney triggers on my non tikkas, and I like the tikka trigger as much or more than either.

Eric_F

FNG
Same, just a spring swap. I used a Mountain Tactical and it's really light at the lowest setting but still bump safe.

I just got in all my mountain tactical hardware for my T3X 7SAUM build. Really considering the Grayboe Phoenix after they get the tikka inlet they're working on finished.

T3X LA action cerakoted alpine veil
Went with a 18" Carbon6 barrel
Mountain Tactical DBM and LA mags.

Also what's a factory bottom "plastic", LA Mag and screws worth?

prm

WKR
Getting started on a new project. Started life as a .243 but was recently rebored to a .338 Fed. In rechambering it, I had a custom reamer made that is a 338 Fed, but the throat is a more modern design. Thanks to fellow rock slider Gbflyer for that idea. Had the bolt fluted by LRI. New trigger spring is on the way. The stock was hydro dipped. Wearing a 3-9 Fullfield II until a Tract 2-10 arrives. I have an SWFA SS HD 1-6 thats nice with this cartridge, or a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8 as a lightweight option. The rings are 1” Sportsmatch. I think they are a little too tall so I ordered some Ultra Low Talleys. The 30mm Sportsmatch are a good height. Looking forward to shooting. All I’ve done so far is check some max loads with a few bullets (180 AB/Benchmark, 186 Hammer/8208 XBR, 185 GMX/H4895, 160 TTSX/H322, 200 North Fork/8208 XBR, and many more to follow). Will be an elk rifle primarily, but a trip to Africa is in idea stage. My deer rifle in the pic up there, Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM with a custom walnut stock. While it works fine on elk, I do prefer the 338. This T3X is 6lb 14oz as shown.
48D59768-4591-4EB8-BD66-9D263CAF9895.jpeg
02AE28C3-6DA1-45D4-95A7-CA87852A001C.jpeg

OutdoorAg

WKR
Hawkins rings
Ti pro muzzle brake

Great build!

How long did it take you to get your C6 barrel?

I need to decide on one, and more importantly - the contour. I'm trying to dupe the factory CTR contour as closely as I can.

brushape

WKR
Great build!

How long did it take you to get your C6 barrel?

I need to decide on one, and more importantly - the contour. I'm trying to dupe the factory CTR contour as closely as I can.

Thanks I ordered it December 15th and got the barrel a few days before I posted those pics. I think the smallest c6 contour would be the closest match to the ctr

I've got a Tikka T3X Lite in 300wm, and looking to take that action and use it for a PRS Build, since I really dont ever see myself shooting that thing without a brake on it. Is it a waste of time/money to go this route, or do you guys think it's worthwhile? I wanted to take it down to a 308 or 6.5cm, is that feasible?

Eric_F

FNG
I've got a Tikka T3X Lite in 300wm, and looking to take that action and use it for a PRS Build, since I really dont ever see myself shooting that thing without a brake on it. Is it a waste of time/money to go this route, or do you guys think it's worthwhile? I wanted to take it down to a 308 or 6.5cm, is that feasible?
Feasible but you would have to buy a new barrel and find someone to trade a standard face bolt for your magnum bolt, and get a short bolt stop. Honestly probably better to sell and buy a CTR or Tac-A1.

LRI and JA Outdoors are the only places I know of to buy Tikka bolts, and they're >$350 which is why I suggested a trade.

Last edited:
Feasible but you would have to buy a new barrel and find someone to trade a standard face bolt for your magnum bolt, and get a short bolt stop. Honestly probably better to sell and buy a CTR or Tac-A1.
New barrel was in my plans already looking for a Bartlein 24” to handle the heat. Ill check on the bolt face cost. Appreciate you!

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
How in tarnation are y’all getting those factory barrels off? I’ve tried just about everything and it won’t budge

wyosam

WKR
How in tarnation are y’all getting those factory barrels off? I’ve tried just about everything and it won’t budge

Stout vice, external action wrench. Its not just a hard pull, it takes a little pull and an impact. Put some weight on it, then smack the handle with a hammer. They usually pop right off for me that way. One I had that was extra stubborn, I put the barreled action in the deep freeze for a couple hours, then pulled it out and got it in the barrel vice quickly and ready to go. Waved a propane torch around the front of the action for about 5 seconds (not near enough to feel even warm to the touch). It popped loose like it was finger tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Stout vice, external action wrench. Its not just a hard pull, it takes a little pull and an impact. Put some weight on it, then smack the handle with a hammer. They usually pop right off for me that way. One I had that was extra stubborn, I put the barreled action in the deep freeze for a couple hours, then pulled it out and got it in the barrel vice quickly and ready to go. Waved a propane torch around the front of the action for about 5 seconds (not near enough to feel even warm to the touch). It popped loose like it was finger tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t have a propane torch, but maybe a hair dryer for 10 seconds would help it? My 200lb breaker bar got bent trying to muscle it, so I think mine is just a bear. I hope I can get it off without marring the action

So I too am considering going the semi-custom Tikka route (new stock, proof barrel, fluted bolt, etc.) and will likely have a smith do most of the work. So here's my thoroughly naïve question - if I want to end up with a semi custom 30-06 rifle - does the donor action need to be a 30-06 specifically, or are there other actions that will suffice?

Eric_F

FNG
So I too am considering going the semi-custom Tikka route (new stock, proof barrel, fluted bolt, etc.) and will likely have a smith do most of the work. So here's my thoroughly naïve question - if I want to end up with a semi custom 30-06 rifle - does the donor action need to be a 30-06 specifically, or are there other actions that will suffice?
Really any action with a standard (308/30-06) bolt face will work. If you get a short action, you'll have to also get a (~$35) long action bolt stop and long action magazines. So the easiest is to get a long action standard bolt face action (30-06, 270 win, 6.5x55, etc).

Last edited:
Really any action with a standard (308/30-06) bolt face will work. If you get a short action, you'll have to also get a (~$35) long action bolt stop and long action magazines. So the easiest is to get a long action standard bolt face action (30-06, 270 win, 6.5x55, etc).
Thank you, this is very helpful. If I found a 300 win mag donor action for a good price, would that be a viable candidate as well? If so, is that magnum action more desirable, less desirable, or irrelevant for the purposes of building a 30-06?