Leupold Freedom VS Vortex Diamondback HP

nkgillil

FNG
Whats opinions between Leupold Freedoms Vs Vortex Diamondback HP(High Preformance) models? Anyone had experience with both them? Looking for pros/cons. Quality of glass/low light between the two? If you had two exact scopes say 3x9x50s of each the leupold and vortex which would be winner between the two?

KenLee

WKR
Save up for a $650-700 Trijicon accupoint 2.5-10x56 model TR-22 if you are wanting a variable magnification large objective simple reticle scope. It also has a nice usable simple center dot illumination. I prefer the amber dot.

kkp005

WKR
I’ve had some Freedoms in the past. The glass was pretty clear but I’m not sure how well they held 0.
I’d try to find a Swfa 6x or go 3x9 trijicon credo. I think their might even be one of the trijicons in the classifieds

bnsafe

WKR
Ive used both and havnt had any issues with either. my current is the freedom. with that said I dont dial, and I dont shoot much, I confirm zero before deer season and shoot a couple deer. No issues yet. Not saying the other choices posted on here arnt better options, Im gonna get a credo or accupoint soon just to make sure.

OP
N

nkgillil

FNG
Thanks... Definitely want a variable scope, semi budget like $300 mark. Going on a short barreled 308. Dont really plan on shooting farther than maybe 200yds while hunting but i never know when might want to on the range. Really was looking at 4-12x50s.

adamm88

WKR
I have a diamondback on my 223 ar, i believe i a Leupold freedom scope or the equivalent previous model. Both are fine for me, 100 percent of my rifle kills have been under 100 yards and i dont have it in my plans currently to hunt somewhere that had longer shots. Hopfully in the future that will change.

I think the freedom is USA made if that matters, i believe both have good warenty so if something goes wrong you have backup from the company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freedom over those two. But a used VX-3 would be even better. Might be a little over $300, but probably under $400 if you look around.

fmyth

WKR
Thanks... Definitely want a variable scope, semi budget like $300 mark. Going on a short barreled 308. Dont really plan on shooting farther than maybe 200yds while hunting but i never know when might want to on the range. Really was looking at 4-12x50s.
My rule of thumb is 1x per 100 yards. So with my self imposed hard limit of 600 yards a SWFA 6x is my choice for my hunting rifle scope.

Berger024

WKR
With a budget of $300, I would absolutely look at a used VX3 on eBay or a forum. Way better glass than a Freedom. The cheaper Vortex’s are OK, but non-illuminated, higher magnification scopes have issues with very thin crosshairs at low magnification in low light.
I have owned a Leupold Freedom years back for my MZ and sold it to upgrade. I’ve also had a Luepold MK4 and a Vortex Diamondback on my 12ga bolt action. Currently I have multiple Nightforce ATACRs, Multiple Vortex Razors, a Premier, and a Tangent Theta. Yeah the glass on low end scopes are not as good compared to $2-5k scopes, obviously. Not many people try to compare a Ford Focus to an Aston Martin, so I wouldn’t put much thought into the comment stating he’d rather use open sights than a Luepold or a Vortex.
That being said, the only issue I had with the cheap Vortex Diamondback was the very thin crosshairs at low magnification in low light hunting situations.
Both Luepold and Vortex have outstanding warranties. So if you buy one (new or used) and have an issue, it will get rectified and you'll be happy with their response, unless a failure takes place on a hunt...
Anything around 4-12x is a good scope range it will allow you to zoom in nice and tight to pinpoint an accurate heart / lung shot on your animals out to 200yds easily.

Last edited:

BrentH

WKR
Put a freedom 3-9x40 on my son’s 6.5. Has held zero over the course of two and a half seasons, to include riding around in a side by side. For a couple hunts each year. I haven’t thrown it off a cliff though. 😁

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
They are both lower end scopes made by 2 companies that have no idea how to make a reliable scope. So the only "winner" would be the company profiting from the sale.
If those were my choices I would absolutely use open sights.

What in the world? Does a more reliable brand under $500 exist than Leupold? Especially when we are talking the $300 level like the VX-Freedom, I seriously doubt there is a better scope on the market. This is the snobbiest post I've read in a long time.

@nkgillil, For the price range you are looking, there isn't a better scope out there than the VX-Freedom. That's not to say there aren't some as good. Leupolds are rugged and have decent glass.

What in the world? Does a more reliable brand under $500 exist than Leupold? Especially when we are talking the $300 level like the VX-Freedom, I seriously doubt there is a better scope on the market. This is the snobbiest post I've read in a long time.

@nkgillil, For the price range you are looking, there isn't a better scope out there than the VX-Freedom. That's not to say there aren't some as good. Leupolds are rugged and have decent glass.
Some of these guys have LDS. Lol

kpk

WKR

Burris Fullfield II.

I have a Freedom and and zeroing it is completely erratic. POI will move 0" - then 1.5" - then 6" when the same amount of adjustment is made each time. It does seem to hold zero fine once there, but getting it to that point is maddening and burns crazy amounts of ammo. It has been moved to a .22 plinker for this reason.