Leupold Freedom VS Vortex Diamondback HP

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
I think in some ways we’re talking apples to oranges here. For example:

Shooter #1: Joe deer hunter wants to be able to hit deer vitals at 300 yds, a ~9” target. 3moa of accuracy allows for this. He gets out his VXII or diamondback after the summer, and shoots a target at 100yds. It shoots a 1” 3 shot group that’s 1” high and 1” left. He feels good that his rifle is shooting sub-moa, and he could take that 300 yd shot. Maybe he “fine tunes” his zero just to make sure he’s really dialed in.

Did that scope move over the summer? Or did it move when he was climbing up his deer stand last season for opening day? Doesn’t really matter to Joe, either way he can take that 300 yd shot and he feels good about his rifle.

Shooter #2: John precision rifle guy zeros his VXII or diamondback. It shoots a 1” group at 100 yds. Using his 4DOF app, he plugs in his data and is making hits out to 800. Later that week he brags to his buddy about his setup, and that weekend they go back out to the range and start at 800. John is unable to make good hits, and returns to the zero range to find his zero has shifted 1” up and 1” left. This situation repeats a few times, and he swears off of Leupold and Vortex.

It depends on what exactly is meant by “holds zero.” To Joe, that’s been a reliable scope holding zero for years. To John, it’s garbage that doesn’t hold zero at all.
+1. I can't speak to the BR precision capabilities over time. My only concern has always been and will always be a humane kill within my hunting limitations, each and every time afield. That said, as long as I am not tweaking loads, I don't recall having any kind of a zeroing issue over time.

I am at the range several times per week. I see scope caps on the benches every trip to the range. As the stores around here primarily cary only Leupold and Vortex, there are a lot more of those in use than any others. In the weeks leading up to hunting season nearly every person is re-zeroing. This is many hundreds of data points, so zero assumption there.

So continue on, like many others with your LDS- Leupold delusional syndrome if you wish. But if you are truly "super interested in objective real info", that is repeatable and can be done by anyone, it is here for you:

Yeah because nobody switches ammo or dials in a new load they worked up or mounts a new scope before season or switches scopes. Come on man, you're assuming due to bias. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on what exactly is meant by “holds zero.” To Joe, that’s been a reliable scope holding zero for years. To John, it’s garbage that doesn’t hold zero at all.
No it doesn't depend. It either holds zero or it doesn't. Leupold holds zero.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
I am at the range several times per week. I see scope caps on the benches every trip to the range. As the stores around here primarily cary only Leupold and Vortex, there are a lot more of those in use than any others. In the weeks leading up to hunting season nearly every person is re-zeroing. This is many hundreds of data points, so zero assumption there.

So continue on, like many others with your LDS- Leupold delusional syndrome if you wish. But if you are truly "super interested in objective real info", that is repeatable and can be done by anyone, it is here for you:

That's your reasoning? I guess it all makes sense now.

You get what you pay for on this business. Vortex has come a long way and their high end optics are excellent. The US Government recently contracted with Vortex to manufacture small arms optics systems for the military at a cost of 2.7 billion dollars. These scopes represent some of the most advanced techology ever used in small arms optics and will be made in the USA.
Government contract award does not necessarily equal premium precision and reliability. It just means they met the minimum requirements at a lower price than everyone else.
There is no lack of optics snobbery here for high end equipment, but there are plenty of vortex failure stories under normal conditions to back up the dismissal of the brand.

TheReply

FNG
I have a Vortex Diamondback on my 30-06 and love it, I can't recommend the Leupold out of personal preferences.