Lightest camp shoe?

OP
O
Did a winner ever get determined?
I took the Amojis on my sheep hunt. Was a bit skeptical but they performed very well even walking for a few miles with pack through creek with multiple crossings. I was worried about losing them in fast water as they don’t have a heel strap but it was a non issue. Only complaint is they kept a bit of water in them did to design.

My ghetto Nike fly knit gym shoes with the cut off soles did awesome on my archery hunts this year. Used them way more than I thought, mostly when I needed to dry out my boots mid day I’d just throw them on. Zero complaints, and at 7oz/pair I didn’t even notice them in my pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good article from green belly meals if anyone wants to read.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Picked up a pair of Arcteryx Norvan SL 2's on sale last week.
Size 10.5 is 13.5 ounces for the pair and these are actual functioning shoes. Price was steep but I figured I could use these in a lot of situations.

I found a new pair on eBay at a pretty reasonable price yesterday and snagged them.

For the same weight as Crocs you've got a shoe that would be much more suitable for stream crossings and in a real pinch, a pair of shoes you could hike in if needed.

I'll post my thoughts when I get them.

id_jon

WKR
I think the foam birkenstocks have been mentioned here a couple times. I got a pair this last summer, and theyre on my feet pretty much all the time, not just as a camp shoe. Would highly recommend.

I’m curious if there’s an option that can double as a camp shoe and stalking shoe that is as light as possible...getting double duty out of a second pair of shoes if you’re packing them all the way in sure would be nice.

Look at some of the water shoes… good ventilation, very light, soft thin rubber sole and form fitting so they won’t slide on your feet stalking… I always have a pair in my pack archery hunting

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
Held these in person at REI yesterday and they blow my New Balance Minimus’ away. The sole is very thick and could easily be used in any terrain. They would be especially great for crossing creeks with a heavy pack or staking in the rocks. They also clearly dry easily based on the material. Not to mention you could actually hike out if your boots failed unlike most of these shoes in this thread. They say a men’s size 10 is 6.9 ounces per pair and that’s what they felt like in person (but I never weighed them). Expensive but I think I’m going to buy a pair to replace my backpacking shoes.

efd801cd4fe5d32c7f639adc662e212a.jpg

Held these in person at REI yesterday and they blow my New Balance Minimus’ away. The sole is very thick and could easily be used in any terrain. They would be especially great for crossing creeks with a heavy pack or staking in the rocks. They also clearly dry easily based on the material. Not to mention you could actually hike out if your boots failed unlike most of these shoes in this thread. They say a men’s size 10 is 6.9 ounces per pair and that’s what they felt like in person (but I never weighed them). Expensive but I think I’m going to buy a pair to replace my backpacking shoes.

efd801cd4fe5d32c7f639adc662e212a.jpg

Did you get these and can you confirm they are 6.9 oz per pair? The issue I’m having with finding UL camp shoes is that they need to be multi purpose. If i use them to cross a river i want them to dry the same day or better yet not
absorb water at all. I would like to use them to slip on to go out and pee in the middle of the night plus maybe to get up in the morning and be able to then put my socks and shoes on. I have hey dudes i really like but they don’t dry very well.

mlgc20

WKR
Did you get these and can you confirm they are 6.9 oz per pair? The issue I’m having with finding UL camp shoes is that they need to be multi purpose. If i use them to cross a river i want them to dry the same day or better yet not
absorb water at all. I would like to use them to slip on to go out and pee in the middle of the night plus maybe to get up in the morning and be able to then put my socks and shoes on. I have hey dudes i really like but they don’t dry very well.
They are NOT 6.9 ounces per pair. That is per shoe.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had the chance to wear the Arcteryx Norvans a little. Found them secure for fording streams and their mesh fabric outer dries quickly. The Vibram sole is pretty grippy as well. With a full lace up they are going to be much more secure than any clog/slip on shoe. All for 13 oz, not too shabby.

For a camp shoe that's going to double for stream crossings, you'd have a hard to finding anything lighter.

Chape1rm

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up some moose hide mocs from a mountain man on etsy and they go everywhere with me. Great camp shoe and great for stalks. Double layer on bottom so the cactus wont go through but enough give to feel the ground beneath your feet. They weigh in at 15 oz tho.