Lightest Practical, Responsible Elk Load

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
Several disclaimers: I'm a solid shot, can consistently punch holes in a dinner plate in real-life field positions to 500 yards. I'm a little short on terminal ballistics knowledge, but know that bullet construction has improved hand-over-fist, allowing loads that were once considered light for elk to become more commonplace. I also am planning on buying a new ultra-light rifle for mountain hunting, and considering it will be sub-6 pounds loaded, I want to choose a caliber that doesn't kick like a mule. I'm very much in the camp that a well placed, ethically taken shot with lighter rifles will bring down game, but you definitely need to "use enough gun" while dealing with elk.

What is the lightest practical, responsible elk load today out to 300 yards? I don't shoot past that on game, because getting close is always a good idea and you can always get closer. Is the 6.5 Creedmoor or the .280 Ackley Improved the lightest you would go? Part of the reason I ask is I want this to my one go-to rifle on a variety of smaller game as well, Antelope, Mule and Whitetail deer, though probably at lighter bullet weights. I currently shoot a .308 Win. which I love, but the rig is too heavy for backpack hunting.

OP
Ultraheight

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
For my money, it's the 7mm-08, and that's what I carry. An argument could be made for 6.5CM however.

If you're a hand loader, then stick with the .308 and get a lighter rifle.

Thanks NewtoSavage, I think you're likely right. Considering the Kimber Mountain Ascent in 6.5 CM atm

Laramie

WKR
I'm a .30 caliber fan for elk but, one smaller round that I have seen work effectively is a 25-06. It's not as sexy as the new rounds but it's very flat shooting and ammo is readily available. It is also very light on recoil. It is very similar to a .243 while packing more of a punch. With quality bullets, I would be very comfortable hunting elk with one out to 300 yards. 7mm-08 would be a close second but it does have a bit more recoil, especially in a very light rifle.

OP
Ultraheight

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think that would be a mistake. Kimber Hunter .308's are $599 at Cabelas too, if you need to budget. If I didn't already have my Howa Alpine 7mm-08, I'd probably be buying one.

Fair point, I'm a sucker for the weight and pattern on the Mountain Ascent, but will look at the Hunter.
I'm a .30 caliber fan for elk but, one smaller round that I have seen work effectively is a 25-06. It's not as sexy as the new rounds but it's very flat shooting and ammo is readily available. It is also very light on recoil. It is very similar to a .243 while packing more of a punch. With quality bullets, I would be very comfortable hunting elk with one out to 300 yards. 7mm-08 would be a close second but it does have a bit more recoil, especially in a very light rifle.

@Laramie interesting point on 25-06 front, I've traditionally used that for groundhogs! I wonder if it's readily available in quality big-game bullets however. I feel like a most local stores would just have it a Remington Core-Lokt etc.

KineKilla

WKR
Personally, I feel that a 130gr projectile out of a 270WIN is about where I'd start from but like the 150gr a touch better. When I go out Elk hunting I leave the 243 in the safe.

Laramie

WKR
"Premium bullets enable the .25 to take any game for which the 130 grain 270 Winchester load is suitable. Jack O'Connor, the Dean of American gun writers, felt that the .270 130 grain was perfectly adequate for elk, and he killed a slew of them with that load."

Here is a good read on the 25-06;

Here is another great resource for comparing felt recoil. As you can see, the 25-06 has considerably less felt recoil while still delivering acceptable energy for elk out to 300. When comparing to the .270, it's not even close 16.5lbs vs 12.5lbs. The 7mm-08 is almost dead in between them.

In the end, like I stated before, I really like .30 caliber for elk. If you can handle the recoil.

Brendan

WKR
Mountain Ascent in .308 or 6.5 CM gets my vote if you want to go that light. I have an Adirondack in .308 and it's under 6# scoped and loaded.

WCB

WKR
I'd vote 7mm08, .308, .270.

Can you go lighter sure... for consistency and the never thought about worst case scenario I wouldn't.

Rich M

WKR
Lots of folks out there shoot elk w 243. More than I ever thought. 100 gr partitions are popular.

6.5 Creedmore is next step up.

7mm 08 is next.

308 w 150 partitions or Barnes x bullets

I’ve reloaded enough 257 115gr bullet to know that a 108gr .243 eld-m isn’t all of a sudden gonna start bouncing off old ironside elk due to .014 less diameter

jfs82

WKR
I think a lightweight 6mm cm would be nice for this application... And I want to build one soon.

Based on your criteria as the lightest rifle it will be by default be a SHORT ACTION. So you can disregard any long action cartridges.

Plenty of elk have been killed by .243/6mm Bullets. I saw a deal on a Barrett Fieldcraft in .243win for $1100 that I am still kicking myself for passing 😕. Fieldcrafts are great with a long magazine box that let you seat heavy Bullets long AND have high twist rates.

Based on the actual rifle either a 243 win or a 6cm would be the lightest (though I personally would go 7-08) that will kill elk to 300. Use an 88 /101 grain Hammer Hunter or 95gr LRX and you’ll be fine, just make sure the twist rate is right.

Last edited:

Apollo117

WKR
When comparing to the .270, it's not even close 16.5lbs vs 12.5lbs.

While the 25-06 certainly has less recoil, it's closer than Chuck Hawk's table suggests. The table lists a 120gr 25-06 at 3,000fps, but at 130gr .270 at 3,140fps. That's got to be a reduced load for the 25-06.

A quick look at http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php shows a 120gr 25-06 and a 130gr .270 to be fairly close.

I fully agree with you about the 25-06 having less recoil. I just want to point out that Chuck Hawk's recoil table is somewhat misleading when comparing 25-06 to .270.

If you are concidering the 84m platform anything you want to shoot honestly. 6.5cm, 7-08, 308.
They will all do the trick. I’ll say if you buy the 308 in that platform you’ll probably sell your other gun as it will collect dust.

84L action (270 if you buy factory, 280ai if you handload. Montana wise you are looking at 5.5lb bare rifle, mountain ascent 5.4lb.

Bigger the hole lighter the rifle