Lightweight Cook System

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for suggestions of a lightweight cookset under $100. Everything from stove, canister, water container, cup to boil and cook, and utensils. Want it to be lightweight and not very bulky, so a system that fits in itself.

Lixada 650ml titanium pot, BRS 3000 stove, and Toaks long handled titanium spoon. About $50 total, and you won't find a lighter wt. option (just a hair over 4 oz.), and still be able to fit everything into the pot (except the spoon), along with a 100g fuel canister.

I've been using this system (mine has the 650ml Toaks pot), for several years now and have been very happy with it.

Lixada 650ml titanium pot, BRS 3000 stove, and Toaks long handled titanium spoon. About $50 total, and you won't find a lighter wt. option (just a hair over 4 oz.), and still be able to fit everything into the pot (except the spoon), along with a 100g fuel canister.

I've been using this system (mine has the 650ml Toaks pot), for several years now and have been very happy with it.

I have basically the same thing except a 750ml pot but the 650 will work for any Mountain House.

Here’s my cool kit
Pocket rocket 2 - 2.6 oz
Evernew 570ml titanium mug - 2.0 oz
MSR folding spork - 0.3 oz
Total weight is 4.9 oz without the fuel canister. So far it’s worked great for me. No complaints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider

Should I get the lixada a 650 pot or the 750 pot? It's only a couple dollars difference.

Napperm4

WKR
My super light / super compact cook kits

Stove - Soto micro regulator

Gas - small cannister

Utensil - Optimus extending spoon or MSR folding spork

Pot for gas stove - sea to summit x kettle and x mug

Pot for wood stove - snowpeak mini solo set
(Contains stove, fuel can, sponge, rag, legs and wind screen inside the tall pot) if I want a coffee kit or hot lunch

sneaky

"DADDY"

You haven't blown up your BRS stove yet? Some of the reviews are a little iffy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My super light / super compact cook kits

Stove - Soto micro regulator

Gas - small cannister

Utensil - Optimus extending spoon or MSR folding spork

Pot for gas stove - sea to summit x kettle and x mug

Pot for wood stove - snowpeak mini solo set
(Contains stove, fuel can, sponge, rag, legs and wind screen inside the tall pot) if I want a coffee kit or hot lunch
Why do you bring a kettle and a mug?

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider

People have been saying the BRS stove is crap. Have you had any problems.

People have been saying the BRS stove is crap. Have you had any problems.
You haven't blown up your BRS stove yet? Some of the reviews are a little iffy

Yeah, I've read a fair number of negative reviews as well, but mainly regarding the legs getting too hot and melting. I've been using the BRS almost exclusively now for about two years and I've had zero issues. I do have a couple other stoves of this type, Soto Amicus and Pocket Rocket, but other than doing some testing with them, I haven't actually used them in the field. A couple years ago I did some controlled testing using all of those stoves plus a Jetboil and determined that if I kept the flame down, it used less fuel even though it took several minutes longer to bring the 16 oz. of water to a boil.

Napperm4

WKR
Why do you bring a kettle and a mug?

They don’t take up much room, weigh nothing and I drink a lot of coffee. It’s hard to drink from that kettle so pack the mug. Make a meal and a coffee at the same time

Same idea as the solid set. I use the big pot to keep water going on the wood stove. The small one is for coffee addiction. Also nice to have the extra capacity if I’m melting snow for my water source.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
They don’t take up much room, weigh nothing and I drink a lot of coffee. It’s hard to drink from that kettle so pack the mug. Make a meal and a coffee at the same time

Same idea as the solid set. I use the big pot to keep water going on the wood stove. The small one is for coffee addiction. Also nice to have the extra capacity if I’m melting snow for my water source.

Thats pretty neat, how does that kettle not melt?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thats pretty neat, how does that kettle not melt?
Same way that you can boil water in a cup made of birch bark. Well, not exactly the same, but same principle. That's high temp silicone, good as long as you don't let it go dry and get over 500 degrees or so. Water keeps the birch bark moist and as long as you don't let the flames get over the water level you're good.

If you are looking for really light and cheap, try an aluminum can alcohol stove.
They boil water fast. I’ve done multiple days cooking for multiple people.
I’ve made a bunch over the years, this style is the best with the pot resting right on the can and the “bloom” coming out the side holes. The aluminum pot I picked up at a yard sale probably 30-years ago.5B68C734-DC3B-4960-A52E-8BB3196558EB.jpeg53AAB0E5-6A03-47E4-9F6D-88B72925A0F9.jpeg6CF15B53-D941-4A7A-8938-14B8F092D6E9.jpeg

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you are looking for really light and cheap, try an aluminum can alcohol stove.
They boil water fast. I’ve done multiple days cooking for multiple people.
I’ve made a bunch over the years, this style is the best with the pot resting right on the can and the “bloom” coming out the side holes. The aluminum pot I picked up at a yard sale probably 30-years ago.View attachment 162862View attachment 162863View attachment 162864
Thats awsome! I saw a youtube video were a guy made a pot with a lid and a stove from a tuna can and a bean can.