Lightweight Cook System

I just picked up a couple ultra light and ultra cheap stoves yesterday, so as soon as they get in, I'll do some burn testing with them and post my results. At 1.5 oz. and $4 apiece, I figured that if they're total garbage I'll just toss 'em. Let's see if this link works.

Looks like they went up a little bit in price from yesterday, but still pretty cheap.

Last edited:

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Soto Amicus a lot. I have an Evernew pot that would probably push you over budget, but I think some of the pots that are half that cost would be great choices. There are $30 aluminum pots that are barely an ounce more than the evernew I got. Probably a better value. Soto makes a 1L pot that looks great and they say it is only 4.16 ounces.

If you are alone, you can probably get away with a .6L pot. Just enough boiled water to cook a Mountain House or similar meal. If you are with anyone, or want to fill a nalgene, make some coffee with your meal, etc. the bigger pot will be useful.
Plenty of top notch options under $100 total.

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Went this route several different ways... Here is my suggestion:

Don't go for ultra lightweight cook systems. Why? Its an illusion (largely) because for cook systems the bulk of the weight is in the fuel.

I either choose to eat cold (or go comanche and cook over a fire with sticks), or take the kit that works.

While I do own titanium cook kits and pocket rockets - in reality the weight you save is relatively irrelevant once you add fuel.

My cook setup is:
- MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe (go deluxe so it holds pressure at altitude/temp)
- Toaks titanium pot
- a variety of titanium sporks, spoons, knives

That said, if I swap a non titanium pot in its largely not noticed.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Trangia burner as it can hold 4ozs of fuel by itself with the cap and is good for a couple boils with a simple stand. Otherwise I take a plastic bottle with fuel (about 4ozs per day for a lot of boiling) along with it. The stand for the Trangia can be clikstand or simple westwind. Both weigh a few ounces.

Then a Ti pot of your choosing. Maybe a Ti mug if I feel like splurging. A folding spork for eating.

I like alcohol stoves because I always know how much fuel I have and can add what I need. They are also quiet. The Trangia cooker is indestructible and the harder the wind blows the hotter it gets.

For canister cooking I use a Snopeak giga stove. They are extremely reliable and efficient. They also have the lowest carbon monoxide emissions if you are using one in a tent vestibule. I don't trust these cheap Chinese propane stoves. Saving 25g of weight just isn't worth the risk of fire or worse.

Snow Peak 600 mug (3.2 oz), Snow Peak Lite Max Titanium Stove (2 oz), Optimus Folding Spork (.6 oz), fuel canister (7.4 oz), True Utility Peanut Lighter (1.06 oz). Make sure you store the fuel canister upside down and place it in last so it doesn't get stuck.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I used my Windmaster this past week, I had forgotten how much quieter it is than my Jetboil. Holy crap. It's silent compared to the JB lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Don't laugh, but the inexpensive Stanley stainless pot (w/lid) available at most Wal-marts only weighs 7 oz. and it nests very well with the stainless cup they also sell. The whole setup weighs less than 10 oz. and costs less than $20.

Last edited: