Lightweight knife for splitting wood?

Elite

WKR
Hello so I am new to the lightweight wood stove world. I plan on using it this shed hunting season. I am planning on packing a light foldable saw. I am wondering how many other guys also pack a big knife to spilt the whole round logs? I was experimenting at home with a large knife and using another log to hit the other end of the knife while splitting the logs and it seemed to work very well. Would be nice to be able to burn split wood instead of fighting with round logs and burning them. The knife is 19oz I was using so wondering if there is lighter options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d take a look at the Mora series of knives. They’re inexpensive, durable, hold an edge and will work for your purpose if you choose manageable rounds before batoning.

I’d take a look at the Mora series of knives. They’re inexpensive, durable, hold an edge and will work for your purpose if you choose manageable rounds before batoning.
Mora has to be one of the most underrated knives ever. The performance severely exceeds the price

Agreed. I have 2 mora’s I use around camp. They’re perfect for what you’re looking for. Usually be had for $15-$20 each and last one I picked up was delivered in 2 days via amazon.

I carry a benchmade 200 puukko , super light and up to the task of splitting wood thus far.

Lots of lighter options. I don't baton to big of rounds for a stove anyway, if I baton at all it's reasonably small stuff. I very seldom baton anything when hunting but like having a tool capable of it in case it's really wet. I like having a fixed blade anyway for game..

I like to use a knife with about a 4.5" blade to process game. 4" is fine too and that blade length will handle anything I might try to feed my stove.

For a few knife ideas I have a Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner that weighs 7.2oz I think in it's kydex sheath. I also have an older Cold Steel Master Hunter in Carbon V steel that weighs 8.3oz in it's nylon sheath. For a slightly heavier and much heavier built option the Benchmade Bushcrafter weighs 9.3oz in an aftermarket kydex blade cover. That one does not have a belt attachment, it's just for putting in the pack. I've abused the Bushcrafter quite a bit and it's taken it all easily.

All of those hold up well to abuse. The Cold Steel I have does not hold an edge like the newer steels, but is easy to re-sharpen and tough. They have a newer one out in 3V steel that I bet is great. The Benchmade Bushcrafter works ok on game, but it's thicker blade isn't ideal. There are plenty of other options too, that's just a few I have that aren't extremely expensive.

ESEE 6HM is pretty good for the price in a bigger blade. Mora Garberg is excellent too in a smaller package

I like my Mora Companion a lot. A buddy of mine has the Garberg. Costs more and is slightly heavier, but it is super tough and versatile for wood processing, bushcrafting, etc. Either would be great.

Thanks for the replies guys. Do you guys find the mora campion blade long enough for bating wood?

Thanks for the replies guys. Do you guys find the mora campion blade long enough for bating wood?

It will baton small 1-2.5ish inch diameter wood well, anything bigger than that it isn’t fun, and the companion isn’t a full tang knife.

If your going to do lots of batoning go garberg or even a larger full tang knife.

Find a good froe, they are made for splitting wood.
I found a great deal on a Buck Froe but would not pay the retail price, they are kind of expensive but seems well made and works great.

I use a ESEE 6 which weighs about 12 oz or a ESEE Laser Strike which is about 9 oz. Both are great wilderness knives and are full tang carbon steel so you don't need to worry about breaking the blade while batoning like you might with a non-full tang blade. I also have a few Mora Companions and Bushcraft and love them for their light weight, price, and edges but most Moras are not full tang and their shorter blade limits their use in batoning.

I am trying a Mora Farrier's knife this year for splitting wet wood for my ti stove. It is 11 inches long and solid steel. Nothing to break. It weighs less than 6 oz and is significantly more robust than a standard Mora knife. I got on Amazon for $15. I also bought a cheap utility sheath to cover the blade, so I don't filet a finger reaching in my pack. It is extremely sharp.

1584736542841.png

I use a condor bushlore. It seems like a good entry level knife specifically designed around bushcraft. I touch up the blade every time I use it, but that's more because I enjoy it than the knife needing it. The grip isn't the best for comfort, but it's wood so you could modify it easily. It does great splitting wood around three inches wide and less and comes with an excellent sheath.

Look at Utica Cutlery’s selection. Less expensive than comparable options with same material. I do love esee and kabar Becker but most are not exactly lightweight. Typically lightweight doesn’t go together with bushcraft knives but you can buy 6 moras for the cost of one esee and just not worry about em if they break, lol

Back